Thread: Internships

Internships

Please Explain to me what an internship is, do you need to be a graduating senior/college student? Im avoiding college because I enjoy working full time and making a ton of money.Im keeping busy with other endevours (however thats spelled) that are beneficial somewhat to the career path i wish to take someday. But yeah I have been hearing alot about these "internships" and was just wondering what internships there are in the entertainment industry. Thanks.

• Minion

Re: Internships

Well, i have an internship at a local tv station. Its basiclly voulenteering, but based on the situation you might get school credit for it. I personally love my internship even though i don't get paid, its great experience.

• Disneyland Grandee

Internship = no pay = invaluable experience for someone entering a new field of work.

Many moons ago, I interned at Entrepreneur magazine and it worked out so well, I was offered a dream job. It was a great way to get my foot in the door.
    ~~Jodi~~
    Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas.

• Resident Duck

I had an internship at an animal hostpital when I was younger--a junior in high school, to be precise. They offered me a part-time job after the internship was over, but I went in a different direction (I decided I liked painting animals more than I liked cutting them open...). If I'm not mistaken, some internships do pay, but more often than not your pay is in experience. A volunteer job that looks excellent on a resume. You should look into some of the internships Disney offers--I believe some of them actually pay you.

I applied for a job at an art store near where I live, and the manager I had my interview with had gained his job through internships and experience--he had no college degree. Not everyone is this lucky, but it is something to think about.

Disney has ruined my love life

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Althaea View Post
    I had an internship at an animal hostpital when I was younger--a junior in high school, to be precise. They offered me a part-time job after the internship was over, but I went in a different direction (I decided I liked painting animals more than I liked cutting them open...). If I'm not mistaken, some internships do pay, but more often than not your pay is in experience. A volunteer job that looks excellent on a resume. You should look into some of the internships Disney offers--I believe some of them actually pay you.

I applied for a job at an art store near where I live, and the manager I had my interview with had gained his job through internships and experience--he had no college degree. Not everyone is this lucky, but it is something to think about.
    Yeah, it looks amazing when your boss sees on a resume you have experience, and every internship iv had have been awesome. I'v worked at a youth art center, a synagog and now this tv station (which is what i want to do after i graduate). Its an incredible experience and i highly reccomend everyone do a few in their high school or college career.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Some are paid, some aren't.
    some require you to be in school (hs or college), some don't.
    Some lead to perm jobs w/the company, some don't.
    Really just look into places you want to work and see what their internship requirements are.
    it is a great thing to have on your resume, that is for sure!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

I've done two internships. Both were ones that I got paid. One was back in High School I worked at the Atlanta office of the American Foundation for the Blind working and testing adaptive equipment. A few years later I interned at the Georgia Radio Reading Service. I loved each one. I definitely reccomend doing an internship or two. They may not pay you but the experience is invaluable.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.