Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Shablagoo!

New Tacoma Narrows Bridge Opening (photos)

Hi,

For the last few years they have been building a new bridge across the Tacoma Narrows to get people between Tacoma and The Olympic Peninsula. Tomorrow the bridge opens for traffic. Today, the bridge opened for pedestrians to walk across it. I decided that I would never get this chance again and left my home around 8am to get ot the opening at 10.

I parked at the Tacoma Narrows Airport and took a free shuttle to the Bridge. They were expecting 40,000 people, so I wanted to get there as soon as possible.

Here is the line for the bus. After waiting in lines for Disneyland this was a piece of cake.

The bus let us off near the bridge and I walked on. The old bridge is the green one on the left.

There was a run earlier in the day.

The two bridges.

I've made it ot the first support structure.

Here's mid-span.

From mid-span towards Kitsap County (home)

From mid-span to Tacoma.

on the far side of the second support tower.

Almost there!

On the other side an eagle was being hassled by some crows.

Just after I got to the other side they put up a cordon. Uh -OH Someone left their camera bag unattended.

All right, front row seats to Armageddon! The Bomb Squad showed up.

They loaded it into a special container and took it away.

Well now that was over it was time to head back to the other side. I got up on a grandstand first to take a picture.

More of the two bridges.

A support tower from each bridge.

A kayaker way down below.

A bagpiper. There was also someone in a Gorilla suit. I was waiting for a member of the 501st to show up.

I was by myself in the carpool lane. LOL

Tourists on top of the old bridge.

The anchor, encased in cement.

Time to leave, one last look back.

The line for the shuttle back to the airport was enormous, so I decided to walk back. It was a very long walk. This pick shows all the cars parked up and down the road.

The bridge is 5400 feet long. So I walked over a mile each way. It was probably at least 2 miles from the bridge to the airport.

I had a good time and everything was pretty well set up. They had passports you could get stamped at several locations across the bridge. That was sort of fun. It was full of people, but there was so much room it was not a problem. I took one last eastbound drive across the old bridge (the new bridge is going to handle eastbound traffice the old westbound).
    I've been using the old bridge my entire life. The new bridge will hopefully really help with the traffic congestion at the bridge.

• Banned User

Re: New Tacoma Narrows Bridge Opening (photos)

That's awesome MB!! I like the design of the old bridge better, but, the new one looks much sturdier. I wish I'd gone down there, because like you said, when would you ever be able to walk the Tacoma Narrows Bridge again? Very cool report!!!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

Melon!! I just checked the traffic cams and look what I saw from the Tacoma side...

They opened the new bridge before midnight!! Way to mess up on things for the unsuspecting press!! (The original estimates I had read today were early morning hours before peak commuting time)
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by tinkermonkey View Post
    Melon!! I just checked the traffic cams and look what I saw from the Tacoma side...

They opened the new bridge before midnight!! Way to mess up on things for the unsuspecting press!! (The original estimates I had read today were early morning hours before peak commuting time)

Wow! Neat! I can't wait to try it.

• Grumpy old man

Fancy new bridge you got there. I like the green color. None of the bridges in the Bay Area are a cool color except the Golden Gate.

We're getting a new bridge soon too, similar situation as that, building a new one that will handle one direction while the old gets turned into the opposite direction, opening next month I believe.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Well, this was an interesting shot taken a few minutes ago from the West Side (Gig Harbor) of the new bridge...odd zoom in...wonder what is going on!?!

Oh and I don't know if you were kidding when you said this:

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer
    A bagpiper. There was also someone in a Gorilla suit. I was waiting for a member of the 501st to show up.
    But this is from the article at the Kitsap Sun --

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsap Sun
    (more HERE)
    The six bagpipers were from Peninsula Pipes & Drums, formerly the Port Orchard Police Pipe Band. Manager Jim Wilkie of Port Orchard said the six just decided to show up. Many of those tromping across the bridge paused to photograph the group as they strode in formation, playing "Scotland, the Brave."
    At the bridge's other end and a couple hours later, Darth Vader, Boba Fett and two imperial storm troopers wandered among the crowd, They, too, came uninvited, from the "501st", a Star Wars Imperial Costuming Society, said one of their retinue.
    Last edited by tinkermonkey; 07-15-2007 at 11:43 PM. Reason: I hate double posting, even if it is 12 minutes later!!

• Shablagoo!

Well, this was an interesting shot taken a few minutes ago from the West Side (Gig Harbor) of the new bridge...odd zoom in...wonder what is going on!?!

Oh and I don't know if you were kidding when you said this:

But this is from the article at the Kitsap Sun --

Wow! I did not see the 501st. It does not surpirse me that htey showed up though. Wish I had seen them though.

Obviously the guy in that picture forgot his car

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I kinda miss the old "old" Tacoma Narrows bridge

[youtube]

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="<A href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HxTZ446tbzE"></param><param">http://www.youtube.com/v/HxTZ446tbzE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HxTZ446tbzE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>[/youtube]
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Shablagoo!

I wondered how long it would take before someone mentioned "Galloping Gertie" . Well if you want to see her she is down under the water below the older bridge. She has become a major habitat for aquatic life.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

About 10 years ago I was driving a truck to Gig Harbor....durring a snow/ice storm in near white-out conditions. I'd never been accross the Tacoma Narrows Bridge before that point and I remember clearly, to this day the crossing. Going about 8 mph I start accross the bridge. Although I could barely see anything in front of me the water below was quite visable....and choppy to the extreme. At about the half way point over the bridge it dawned on me just what bridge I was on........THE Tacoma Narrows Bridge....the same one from the old news reels(well, not the "same" one, but that small disticntion was of little comfort to me at that white knuckle point in time)
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Very cool! I remember going over the old bridge when the new was being built....sorry I missed it!

Oh and this...

Yeah...that picture terrified me. I would never be in the middle of dark black swirling water in a little Kayak! That would give me a heart attack. And those waters are known to have the worst currents. I remember when I looked over when driving the bridge you could see the swirls of current...*shivers*

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Well, I drove over the new bridge this morning and it was very surreal!! There was absolutely no traffic, so we have yet to see if the new bridge helps anything traffic wise. I'm guessing a LOT of people took the day off to avoid the "chaos" -- so possibly tomorrow will be a better judge. Lucky me - I get to go again tomorrow (my daughter is at zoo camp) so I'll let you know! (oh, and for those that know the old bridge -- you can CHANGE LANES on the new bridge!! Yippee!!)

• Shablagoo!

Well, I drove over the new bridge this morning and it was very surreal!! There was absolutely no traffic, so we have yet to see if the new bridge helps anything traffic wise. I'm guessing a LOT of people took the day off to avoid the "chaos" -- so possibly tomorrow will be a better judge. Lucky me - I get to go again tomorrow (my daughter is at zoo camp) so I'll let you know! (oh, and for those that know the old bridge -- you can CHANGE LANES on the new bridge!! Yippee!!)

Wow. I'm glad it went well for you. I take full credit for the ease of your passage. It was all thanks to my good thoughts.

BTW, Bridge fans may want to see this thread about the Golden Gate Bridge. http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71332

• Sock Puppet

Did it turn out to be a bomb? that was a very interesting thing

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by awesomerocks View Post
    Did it turn out to be a bomb? that was a very interesting thing

I haven't heard. Like I said, its probably just some fool's camera bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast