Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Original Mice-Chatter

Ok- immediate advice needed

Ok- so tomorrow is the first day of my camping vacation-and I am BROKE. Things have been pretty tight and awful and they are not going to improve for at least a month or so (paying for school registration and school sports and school trips and school supplies is killing me)

anywho- for the most part I am set. Got the tent and sleeping stuff (need some sort of something to sleep on, I am too old for sleeping on the ground for 9 nights) got a cooler, stove (need a small thing of propane)- etc etc...just bringing stuff from home....

But- food.......I need to buy food on a VERY tight budget. Ok, we are talking no room for wiggle at all-

But what?

I have some ideas but I would love to hear from anyone else who might have cheap camp food ideas. I just might end up eating hot dogs and s'mores every night.

• insufferable know-it-all

$8 will get you a package of about 16 sausages at Costco. You can buy an 8-pack of buns at Albertson's for $0.89 if you want the crappy ones, or for $2 to get some quality ones also from costco. Costco also has a great price on cheddar cheese (mm... tillamook too!)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    $8 will get you a package of about 16 sausages at Costco. You can buy an 8-pack of buns at Albertson's for $0.89 if you want the crappy ones, or for $2 to get some quality ones also from costco. Costco also has a great price on cheddar cheese (mm... tillamook too!)

Hmmm, not a bad idea. 16 sausages will last....well, if they are big, 3 meals, small 2.....

Crappy works when camping LOL

• off in lala land

Pasta goes a long way and it's cheap. Spagetti is a good camping item since you can prepare it before you go and it's ready to eat out of the container!
    ...it's been a long time.

• Hooterville, USA

Just one word. "hunting" It's a sport the whole family can enjoy! Imagine stalking your first deer and making the kill. Mmmmmmm, smelling the roasted deer that your family cleaned and gutted before braising it on an open fire. Makes your mouth water, doesn't it?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Playtester

I think chicken breasts are on sale at ralphs. You can put them in foild and cook them in the fire with veggies. Uhm.....I am a former girl scout and girl scout leader- we just cooked regular meals on our camp stove like we would cook at home. I had a co-leader that brough military ration bacon- for 20 people we had 300 pieces of stinky gross bacon. Thats cheap! Maybe do a google search for camping meal ideas.
    It's Just me, Jenn.
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." ~Walt Disney

• Original Mice-Chatter

Oh goodness....hunting?......no

Malt-o-meal is pretty good - your forgot to mention whether you have a cooking stove or have to cook over the fire?

I think if you stop by Big Lots, you can find a grilling basket. That would be great if you lack a stove. You can buy some veggies (carrots, onions, leeks, celery, potatoes), and tin foil to do packet cooking. You put your meat, veggies and potatoes all together, fold them up in a tin foil packet, and then place in the grill basket to hold over the fire. If you have a cook stove or barbecue you won't need the basket (unless you wanna cook really small stuff) but you can put the packets right on the grill.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Original Mice-Chatter

Dad is loaning me a table top grill- hence the need for propane.

I have never done this stuff before- I guess I am in for a crash course.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Cut up Potatos and Onions, spray some tin foil with non stick spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper, then wrap it up tight. You can cook it on a regular grill, tabletop grill, or even in a fire. Super cheap, filling and YUMMY!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Original Mice-Chatter

Taters and onions are cheap- in fact I already have onions

Good idea!

• /sigh

There's always Top Ramon, 10 for a buck. My family used to do that when we camped. You can always add some veggies or meat if you have on hand.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

Left the church, but not the parishioners.
    I'm queen of packet cooking. (The tinfoil pouch)

Neph, you can take some meat like chicken, pork, or fish, add some baby carrots, potatos, onions, and other veggies. Add some seasonings, a dash of soy sauce, and wrap it all up in tinfoil. It's VERY yummy, very cheap, and very easy and can be prepared and frozen before your trip.

For other cheap "camp food", don't forget hotdogs and pork n' beans. I've also brought bagged salad mix with some oil and vinegar. Oh, and crackers and cheese work well too.

99 Cent Only Store,
    everything in the store in $.99.

They've got lots of snacks that are pretty descent and juice drinks too..You can find a lot of good buys if they have them where you are. I'm in CA.
    A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes....

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys
    Taters and onions are cheap- in
    What's taters, precious?

j/k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast