Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   

June Lake/Mammoth Camping Trip Report

This past weekend we had our yearly guys out camping trip. We stayed at Pine Cliff in June Lake for 4 days. We had a schedule to stick to but with one guy sick and in the bathroom constantly the first day, and the altitude taking it's toll on one of the other guys, the schedule had to change a little bit. We were still able to get in everything that we planned and I was able to take some pictures to prove it!

7-12-07
    We left Long Beach early, about 4:30am. We had to stop off in Rancho Cucamonga to pick up my brother and finish loading up. We were already later than planned when we finally left..........

We were worried the whole trip was going to get cancelled due to 2 fires that were blazing a few days before we left. One of them was very close to our campground but it was put out the day before we got there.
    So 309 miles later, we're finally here!! June Lake!!

Stopped off for a bite to eat at Tiger Bar.
    (Left to Right: Brother-in-law Enrique, friend Ted, brother Adam, brother-in-law Richard)

Now it's time to set up camp!
    We've been coming here to this same exact spot for the past 3 years. It's somewhat of a tradition for us but it seems to be getting more and more sloped each year. I still love it though!

That was about it for that day. Hamburgers for dinner. Jack and Coke and/or Beer for dessert, we were good to go!

7-13-07
    The next day we headed over to the Ghost Town Bodie and a quick drive through Mammoth to waste some time.

That night I grilled up some steaks and we just hung out late. Walked out into the middle of nowhere with no light and then to the lake. It's absolutely freaking amazing how beautiful the stars are up there. I felt like I was in a dome with a fake sky.
    (I didn't have a tri-pod so the pictures I took didn't come out at all. Sorry.)

7-14-07
    Today was the day we were waiting for! Mountain biking is one of the main things we wanted to do on this trip and now that everyone was feeling better, today was the day! 3 of us have ridden Mammoth Mountain before but it was Richard and Ted's first time. Of course pulling up to the parking lot, the first thing we see is a guy with a big ol sling on his arm and in pain. That put a great feeling in our stomachs........
    After our first run we saw a guy that slammed his head so hard he basically imploded his helmet. The ambulance came and got him and he had a really really bad concussion. This once again didn't help us to hit the harder trails. We're rookies on that mountain! We were happy with the beginner to intermediate trails for sure.

After the ride we hung out in the Village for a while and had a little sippy sippy to get our energy back.

When we got back to camp after riding, we were beat. We grilled up some bratwurst and just relaxed. It started to get pretty cloudy and we felt some drops so were were concerned a storm was coming. Luckily no storm but we did get this instead.

That was it for that night.
    We woke up early Sunday morning to pack up and head out. Our wives and kids were waiting for us as well as our own home showers and most importantly, our own toilets!

Another great camping trip!
    Hope you like it.
    Last edited by cal4iri; 07-16-2007 at 02:07 PM.

•   
    • Kerplookee

Re: June Lake/Mammoth Camping Trip Report

Looked like a blast.

Nice pics.

Hurts to wipe with a pine cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Duck44 View Post
    Looked like a blast.

Nice pics.

Hurts to wipe with a pine cone.
    Thanks!
    Yeah, everyone here at work keeps asking why I'm not sitting in my chair but I just can't tell them..........
    Showing them, well, that's a different story.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Im so jealous. That looks like tons of fun. Thanks for sharing!
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Circle of Ancients

Great pictures Cal4iri

Looks like you guys had a great time.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    Great pictures Cal4iri

Looks like you guys had a great time.
    Thanks!
    We really did have a great time.
    Now we need to find a place closer to home so the whole family can go.

And you got another pic of me. You're sneaky.

• Minion

Mammoth Rocks, glad you had a good time! We're camping out at Twin Lakes next month

• is on the rocks

Thanks for sharing your photos - looks like you guys had a blast! Good call and the Auld Dubliner - hubby and I love that place.

I'm a chicken, so I don't think I'll ever really get into mountain biking. I prefer wiping out with a lot of snow to cushion the fall.
    She did it!

•   

Quote Originally Posted by pveticket View Post
    Mammoth Rocks, glad you had a good time! We're camping out at Twin Lakes next month
    Sweet!
    Let me know what you think of it. We're thinking of camping out there next year since it's right there at Mammoth and we'll be able to mountain bike more.
    Have a great time!

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Spidergrrrl View Post
    Thanks for sharing your photos - looks like you guys had a blast! Good call and the Auld Dubliner - hubby and I love that place.

I'm a chicken, so I don't think I'll ever really get into mountain biking. I prefer wiping out with a lot of snow to cushion the fall.
    Mountain biking is great but I'm not even close to half the guys out there. They amaze me. I mean, I can hang a little but my bike is just so so compared to theirs. Just being up there and seeing these bikes makes me realize I might be spending a big chunk of change on a new bike in a year or two. Maybe then I'll be able to try the harder trails.....if I'm brave enough.

• Gay Man

Quote Originally Posted by cal4iri View Post

I don't think i ever told you.....we got the same tent based on your rec. We took it to Sequoia 2 weeks ago and loved it. It's a perfect size! Morrigoon posted a TR somewhere on here, but there's not pic of our tent.

•   

Quote Originally Posted by Not Afraid View Post
    I don't think i ever told you.....we got the same tent based on your rec. We took it to Sequoia 2 weeks ago and loved it. It's a perfect size! Morrigoon posted a TR somewhere on here, but there's not pic of our tent.

That's great!!
    I do remember her report and it looked like a great trip!
    I'm so glad it worked out for you guys!

Beautiful pics! My hubby and I need to get some camping gear together. That looks like lots of fun. Does Mammoth have trail maps for biking? Are there any places up there where you can rent mountain bikes?

Today we just got back from Reno (visiting my grandparents). We took the 395. Driving by the Yosemite and Mammoth turnoffs really makes me miss them.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

What gorgeous pictures!! Thanks so much for sharing them

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

•   

Quote Originally Posted by brigeet View Post
    Beautiful pics! My hubby and I need to get some camping gear together. That looks like lots of fun. Does Mammoth have trail maps for biking? Are there any places up there where you can rent mountain bikes?

Today we just got back from Reno (visiting my grandparents). We took the 395. Driving by the Yosemite and Mammoth turnoffs really makes me miss them.
    Thank you!
    Mammoth does have maps. They have a great interactive map on their site where you can pick and choose what trails you want to ride. They're all rated based off of difficulty. When you ride Mammoth though, they give you a fold up map that really helped us out a lot. Very detailed.
    They also have great bikes that you can rent up there. They're rentals are way better than my current bike! They actually demo some of the new bikes up there so you have a good chance of riding a brand new design.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast