• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Happy Anniversary, First Men On the Moon

Hard to believe...but it was 38 years ago today...July 20, 1969...Neil Armstrong and then Buzz Aldrin became the first men to set foot on the surface of the moon, during the epic journey of Apollo 11.

So many of us were just transixed to our TV screens that Sunday, and Armstrong left the lunar module and proclaimed his famous "small step for man, and giant leap for mankind" at 7:55pm Pacific Time.

I remember seeing pictures of a large group of people watching on a large outdoor screen at a certain theme park's "Tomorrowland".

For a short time it lifted those of us on earth from the ongoing strife of a very difficult time in the nation's recent history.

Happy anniversary, guys. And hey - Michael Collins - minding the store in the command module - you too.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Happy Anniversary, First Men On the Moon

Seems like yesterday. Where have all the years gone? I remember Walter Cronkite getting choked up during the moment.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Wow. It has been that long hasn't it. Both my parents watched the event on TV and it is something the have never forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• love my friends

wow it doesnt seem like that long ago........

Friends for life

• Senior Minion

I was -5 years old at that time, but I always had aspirations to become an astronaut. Unfortunately being diabetic doesn't help ... but here's to those pioneers!

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

and lots of people still believe that , it never really happened

• Destroyer of Mallcore

Quote Originally Posted by ksejr1 View Post

Like myself

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

What I find interesting is...for such a momentous, historic event at the time...it barely seems to rate a footnote now or a quick mention on "this day in history".

Quote Originally Posted by ksejr1 View Post
    With all respect, in my humble opinion, those people need to "take a pill" or whatever.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I was 21 at the time and this was major. I remember very clearly sitting with the family clued to the TV set watching this all unfold. It was a very moving moment when the module successfully landed. Also another big moment was, would they be able to leave? Of course we know they did but in the moment it was tense when they blasted off to go back to their ship. And, yes, Walter Cronkite was the man when it came to reporting these big events.

Thanks Barry for reminding us of this historic day

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Very proud moment in my life, since my dad was the reliability engineer for the main engines on the Saturn V when he worked at Rocketdyne.

He would wake us up whenever there was a launch to watch it, mostly he said, because he was always so nervous when they were sent up and he wanted his family there with him to keep him sane.

He said he used to sit there and just pray they'd fire and run through their cycle ok. Otherwise us as a family would not see daddy for a very long time since he'd be working 24/7 trying to figure out what went wrong.

Luckily, that never happened.

• Senior Minion

A little before my time, but very important to me in a special way. Thanks for reminding us RB. It's funny I was watching the Astronaut Farmer today.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Banned User

[youtube]<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LTH-2slJGwo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LTH-2slJGwo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>[/youtube]
    [youtube]<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZmhewQZ-hvk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZmhewQZ-hvk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>[/youtube]