Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Clogged/Congested Ears

So I have been dealing the last couple days with a clogged/congested right ear.

I wondered if any of you had some hints of how to fix it.

I can still hear out of the ear, but I do hear that sort of 'airplane ear' noise, sort of the whooshing kind of sound.

I tried anti wax treatment, it didn't seem to help. I've taken decongestant today but it still seems a problem.

I suspect the answer is that I just have to keep taking pills for a few days and it will work itself out, but if anyone out there has dealt with the problem before I'd appreciate it.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Re: Clogged/Congested Ears

Have you tried taking some hydrogen peroxide on a cotton swob and cleaning the ear with that? that works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Minion

Yeah I've tried that BD, even though we aren't supposed to put stuff in our ears.

I am pretty sure that my issue is not wax or water but congestion from allergies, which means I can't really do anything till the congestion clears up.

It's just that I don't have any nasal congestion so I wonder why its staying in the ear.

But probably I just need to ride it out. But then of course you start getting paranoid about some horrible lurking ear disaster.

But thanks for the quick reply
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Shablagoo!

I once had a doctor flush my ear with warm water. The amount of wax that came out was incredible. It was really packed in there.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    I once had a doctor flush my ear with warm water. The amount of wax that came out was incredible. It was really packed in there.
    I used to have that treatment done when I was a kid. yes the amoutn of wax that comes out is unbelievable!
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

Maybe I should get my ears flushed out too because I always seem to have a ton of wax!

Wow... only on Micechat can we discuss earwax.
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Here is my bizarre home treatment for ear pressure pain. Have someone who smokes cigarrettes blow the smoke into your ear. There is something about the smoke from cigs that will help lower the pressure. I know it sounds crazy but it really does work.

Fluid in the ears can be buildup from nasel congestion; it isn't necessarily wax. Most people don't have excessive earwax and EVERYbody has some, you're supposed to. Don't try to clean them out too much, you can do more harm than good.

If you have Swimmer's Ear, try flushing your ear out with that -- it's essentially alcohol, so maybe you could use rubbing alcohol, but I'd check it out online before substituting something else. And anti-congestion medication might work.

But if it doesn't go away soon, I might check with a doctor. You absolutely don't want to get an ear infection.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

1 part rubbing alcohol and one part white distilled viniger...3 drops twice a day.

Eye drops also work(the reverse is NOT true though...never put ear drops in your eye)

BUT: From someone who is deaf in his right ear to you I'd go see the doctor. If you have a Staph infection you could suffer more than just ear damage(not trying to scare you, but I lost half my hearing at a young age and was a few days away from brain damage due to staph)

Ok then
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

Thanks for all the suggestions (and the freak out comment was good too Jeff <G>)

I have tried the anti-wax and anti-water remedies without any real success, but I am about 99% sure it is just allergy congestion, when I do the hold your nose and blow bit I can clear things out but then it comes back.

I can hear fine through the ear, just have the annoyance of feeling clogged up.

I will check with the doctor next week though if it does not clear up.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

One more thing you might try.....Gargle with hot salt water....for as long as you can stand it.

You will know almost immediately if this works or not. If it does; keep doing it every few hours. If it doesn't...don't waste your time doing it again---unless, for some crazy reason you liked it---bleck!
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Get an ear syringe and fill it up with warm water. Insert it in the ear and squirt as hard as you can until the clog comes out (usually 1-3 squirts). Works every time for me.

• Grumpy old man

I had something similar because of allergies, ear congestion but no nose congestion. I ended up seeing the doctor just because I've had ear problems in the past and didn't want it to be something worse. He ended up prescribing me Claritan (back when it was prescription only) and Flonase. Used those for awhile and it eventually cleared up.

• Minion

Thanks Toad.

I assume I am probably just dealing with allergies/cold and it will clear up in a few days.

Luckily no pain or hearing loss, but it is an irritating feeling.

This is what I love about MC though, people always ready to help.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post

Yep, I do that with my Ear, Nose & Throat Dr. once a year. They have a pressure sprayer thing that shoots the water and some powder stuff (mixed up of course) in the ear canal. Kind of makes you feel a little dizzy for a few moments.

He holds a tray under my ear to catch the expelled water, and Eeeewww!!!

It's amazing what is stuck up in there...

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast