Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• is on the rocks

Re: OK, who here is NOT a Harry Potter fan?

I admit it - I'm not a fan. I don't have anything against it, it just never drew me in like it drew others in. I read the first one and thought it was okay. I read half the second one and couldn't finish it. I don't know why. I couldn't get into LOTR, either. And it's not that I don't like to read - I LOVE reading. I just have different tastes in the fiction I do like. I do read a lot of non-fiction as well - magazines, reference books and currently some books for some classes I'm taking.

Hubby, on the other hand, is currently sucked into book 7. Last week he read books 5 and 6 to prep for #7.
    She did it!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Not a fan. I'm not a fan of the fantasy genre to begin with and HP just doesn't do it for me.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Minion

Blog Entries

i wasn't a fan until 2005, my grandpa gave me ootp because he was given it and isn't a reader.

forthose that remember that was the summer hbp came out. I started OOTP and was hooked, i then proceeded to buy goblet, read it in a week and then HBP in 2 days...

before this though, my parents were VERY anti potter, it was not allowed anywhere near tne house, i wasn't allowed to see the movies, or ANYTHING. they felt it was anti christian. i have since convinced both otherwise. in fact my mom went to the movie tonigt, lol

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I am not a Harry Potter fan.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

I was a total HP basher until the 4th was already out. I was in High School (junior I think) and thought they were kiddy.

Then a few friends read them, and I got curious.

If you thought the wait between 3rd and 4th was try 4th and 5th... gah! Then i converted my whole family.

I could never get my friends mother into it... it was a way to get into witchcraft and the devil.

oy.

But I still can't get into LotR.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

I am not a Harry Potter fan, or will ever be!! I don't know what the big deal is about it!! I never read the books or seen ANY of the movies!! It's all a big fad that will go away: LIKE POGS!! LOL, anybody remember those??

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    I am not a Harry Potter fan, or will ever be!! I don't know what the big deal is about it!! I never read the books or seen ANY of the movies!! It's all a big fad that will go away
    If Harry Potter is a "fad", I gotta say it's one of the longest-running and best-maintained "fads" ever...seven books, several movies, ten years...WOW.

--Barry

PS...Again, I am not a big fan. But when else would you see young and even older adults hurrying home on a Friday night after midnight - to read a 759-page book?

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• We're number one!

I'm not. I read about half of the first book and I didn't see what the hype was about. I still don't get it. Even the movies are so-so in my opinion.

Also anyone who thinks that Harry Potter is good because it gets people to read again should read this article: Harry Potter and the Death of Reading

I'm not bashing anyone who reads the series. I just wonder how many people will only read Harry Potter this year and nothing else. *shrugs*

• Haunted Mansion Lover

I enjoy the movies, that's about it.
    Foolish Mortal

But when else would you see young and even older adults hurrying home on a Friday night after midnight - to read a 759-page book?
    My daughters are big time readers, and my 12 year old is reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy for the third time (the first when she was 9). They have no interest in the Harry Potter books. When asked why my 12 year old said "Because their are so many other better books out there that I want to read first". She reads an average of 7 - 10 books a week. Her sisters by comparision will only read one book a week.

The whole Harry Potter "fad" is nothing more than great marketing. It's often given undue credit for kids picking up books to read in a day and age when they are more likely playing video games and watching TV, but the only rabid Potter fans that I've ever seen in real life, are the heavy set, lesbian goth girls working at Border's or Walden Books, not the average 10 - 12 year old kid.

I think classic books like the OZ series, the Narnia Chronicles, Little House on the Prairie series, Hitchhikers Guide and even The Littles, Redwall, Boxcar Children, Nacy Drew have done more to get kids to pick up a book, and put down the remote than Harry Potter.

• no flash photography...

My daughter was a huge harry potter fan when she was in elementary school, but she out grew it. She started reading other books and series that are written at a higher level.I tried reading the first book a couple of times. It was not intersting to me and I really felt I was reading a child's book. I've seen parts of the first movie and again did not find it interesting at all.

I read the first couple books a few years ago, which was some time after they came out. I genuinely liked the first book, and liked the second pretty well. The third book was much less interesting, and the fourth lost my interest completely. I don't remember if I finished it or not. I only liked the first book beCAUSE of its innocent tone and appealing child characters. By the fourth book, the story was darker, and I hated all the characters because their process of "growing up" seemed to be making bad choices and treating each other horribly. Ugh. I have no desire to ever read any of the books again.

I never cared much for the movies. I think I saw the first two, maybe just the first.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• Narnian in Disneyland

6 hours and 29 minutes from the Happiest Place on Earth

I read the first book in school a few years ago and enjoyed it then, but now I don't touch either the books or the movies. The only fantasy I'll read now are the Chronicles of Narnia and The Lord of the Rings.

• Minion

Not a fan. Have never been interested. As others have said, I too don't get interested in even the LOTR series (and during the LOTR movies, I was asleep everytime!) I do like Narnia and things by CS Lewis.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy98 View Post
    Not a fan. Have never been interested. As others have said, I too don't get interested in even the LOTR series (and during the LOTR movies, I was asleep everytime!) I do like Narnia and things by CS Lewis.
    I did enjoy the LOTR books, but I don't like the movie very much.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast