Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: OK, who here is NOT a Harry Potter fan?

im not a big fan of the witchcraft... i dunno i dont think it is right to be showing people that witchcraft is ok through those books. which it isnt. but that is just my opinion.
    ---------
    |I QUIT|
    ---------
    ...Not like anyone on here really gives a care about me anyway...

• I can't stand you.

Negative, Chopsticks doesn't like Potter. The whole series and boat load of hype was something that completely escaped me. To walk past the movies and see kids lined up dressed like Ewoks with twigs and scars on their heads was enough to make me stay far away.

You know, hype is definitely part of the problem. If you're inclined to not care for something, being continually bombarded by it from every direction for months and years will hardly serve to endear it to you. It gets to be like a vague paranoia. "Please, just go away and leave me alone! Get off my cereal boxes and my Kleenix!"
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

I have not read the books or watched the movies (in theaters or on tv). I, too, see nothing special with the whole franchise.

I did read the first two books(?) in Chinese - because there are limited Chinese-language books at the library to read.

The hype is a big turn-off for me. Of course, I was quite blase about the whole Pirates of the Caribbean movie trilogy as well (I've seen the first movie twice and I'm a little more into the movie, well at least the first one), so what do I know?

• This space for rent

I don't have anything against Harry Potter, I've only seen the 1st movie so far, but will eventually get around to watching the others. I have no interest in the books at all. I am psyched up about the addition of a Harry Potter section to Islands of Adventure though.

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

I think the thing is... if you're attracted to this type of genre and you like J.K. Rowling's writing style... you get hooked. I have become very attached to the characters in the books... I guess it's a "you feel it or you don't" type of thing.

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by TiaDalmaFan View Post
    Never read any of the books, have no plans to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    I have neither read nor wish to read the books or see the movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    I myself hate reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lightyear999 View Post
    Not a fan here. I will watch the movies when they come out on DVD or if my daugher drags me to the theater, but other than that I could careless.
    I am not a fan of fiction books. I read mostly nonfiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    While I love Sci Fi and fantasy books, I have never read any of the Harry Potter Books,
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    I am not a Harry Potter fan, or will ever be!! I don't know what the big deal is about it!! I never read the books or seen ANY of the movies!! It's all a big fad that will go away: LIKE POGS!! LOL, anybody remember those??
    Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post

The whole Harry Potter "fad" is nothing more than great marketing. It's often given undue credit for kids picking up books to read in a day and age when they are more likely playing video games and watching TV, but the only rabid Potter fans that I've ever seen in real life, are the heavy set, lesbian goth girls working at Border's or Walden Books, not the average 10 - 12 year old kid.

I think classic books like the OZ series, the Narnia Chronicles, Little House on the Prairie series, Hitchhikers Guide and even The Littles, Redwall, Boxcar Children, Nacy Drew have done more to get kids to pick up a book, and put down the remote than Harry Potter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshrzmeup View Post
    still don't understand half of what is going on in the books and I don't attempt to.
    Quote Originally Posted by samsma View Post
    Never read one word out of one book, or seen anything more than a trailer for a movie!
    Quote Originally Posted by nevi12 View Post
    im not a big fan of the witchcraft... i dunno i dont think it is right to be showing people that witchcraft is ok through those books. which it isnt. but that is just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by PleaseRemainSeated View Post
    You know, hype is definitely part of the problem. If you're inclined to not care for something, being continually bombarded by it from every direction for months and years will hardly serve to endear it to you. It gets to be like a vague paranoia. "Please, just go away and leave me alone! Get off my cereal boxes and my Kleenix!"
    Quote Originally Posted by CookieBandit View Post
    I have not read the books or watched the movies (in theaters or on tv).
    (...)

The hype is a big turn-off for me. Of course, I was quite blase about the whole Pirates of the Caribbean movie trilogy as well (I've seen the first movie twice and I'm a little more into the movie, well at least the first one), so what do I know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baghira View Post
    I don't have anything against Harry Potter, I've only seen the 1st movie so far, but will eventually get around to watching the others. I have no interest in the books at all. I am psyched up about the addition of a Harry Potter section to Islands of Adventure though.

Don't want to be mean but I see a pattern: People who don't like the books

A- Never read them
    B- Turned off by the hype
    C- Don't understand what's happening in the story
    D- Fear the Witchcraft

Anyway, if you say you don't like them because you never read them, then... that's like saying you don't like Korean food even though you've never ate it... seems backwards

Being purposefully turned off by hype seems just a bad as blindly following hype. Either way you are letting the hype make your decisions for you.

If you don't understand the story, then it is a legitimate reason not to like it. You read it, and you don't understand what's going on, then yes, you at least are in a position to judge, same with the people who read them and lost interest.

Fear of Witchcraft? Well, I suppose that's a reason not to read them, though it seems a bit ignorant of what the books, or witchcraft, is.

If you think it's nothing but hype, Read what Barry said. I will bet anything that fifty years from now people are still reading the Harry Potter Books. They tap into the collective unconscious much like other popular books from history including the oft-mentioned Wizard of Oz and Narnia books.

For consideration, the top 20 highest selling books of all time

1: The Bible
    2: Quotations from Chairman Mao
    3: The Qur'an
    4: Xinhuna Zidian
    5: Book of Common Prayer
    6: Pilgrim's Progress
    7: Foxe's Book of Martyers
    8: The Book of Mormon
    9: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Sorcerer's Stone)
    10: And Then There Were None
    11: The Lord of the Rings
    12: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
    13: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    14:The Da Vinci Code
    15: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    16: The Catcher in the Rye
    17: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    18:Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    19: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    20 Watership Down

Hyped it is, but... Maybe it's the English Major in me, but it seems a bit rancorous and petty to dismiss such a huge phenomenon as hype.

PLUS, if you have a historical perspective, and factor in the differences between ages, then Harry Potter is probably no more hyped than many other celebrated books.
    People flooded the docks accidentally killing people waiting for the last installment of Charles Dickens "The Old Curiosity Shop". Speaking of Dickens, much of our current Christmas Celebration is residue from his successful novel: "A Christmas Carol"
    Last edited by thejoshualee; 07-29-2007 at 12:21 AM.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Sock Puppet

Lets just say the only place in california that celebrates BEANS!

ME ME!! I've never been able to get into it for some reason.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    Don't want to be mean but I see a pattern: People who don't like the books

A- Never read them
    B- Turned off by the hype
    C- Don't understand what's happening in the story
    D- Fear the Witchcraft

Anyway, if you say you don't like them because you never read them, then... that's like saying you don't like Korean food even though you've never ate it... seems backwards
    I never said that I didn't LIKE the books. Just saying I've never been much interested in them, and because of that lack of interest, I haven't read them. Thus, I am not a fan of them. I saw the first film, and I thought it was OK, I guess, but it wasn't particularly engaging, and didn't hold my interest. Am I allowed to not be interested in these stories, Joshua, or am I forced to read all the books and see all the movies, against my will, before I can then decide how I feel about them and inform others that I have no interest in them?

Saying "I'm not a fan" doesn't necessarily mean that one dislikes something. It just means "I'm not a fan."

For consideration, the top 20 highest selling books of all time

1: The Bible
    2: Quotations from Chairman Mao
    3: The Qur'an
    4: Xinhuna Zidian
    5: Book of Common Prayer
    6: Pilgrim's Progress
    7: Foxe's Book of Martyers
    8: The Book of Mormon
    9: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Sorcerer's Stone)
    10: And Then There Were None
    11: The Lord of the Rings
    12: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
    13: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    14:The Da Vinci Code
    15: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    16: The Catcher in the Rye
    17: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    18:Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    19: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    20 Watership Down

Hyped it is, but... Maybe it's the English Major in me, but it seems a bit rancorous and petty to dismiss such a huge phenomenon as hype.
    Exactly what are sales statistics supposed to do, provide those of us who are not interested in these books a reason to stop thinking for ourselves and follow the mass crowd that buys and reads these books? Everybody else is reading them, so why don't we do it too? Is that the reasoning behind this? Conforming to the status quo?

Hype is designed, by its very nature, to sway opinion. That's why it's there - to get you to act in a way favorable to those advertising the thing. One of the aspects of hype, or hyperbole to be exact, is that it can have an obverse effect, that of resulting in the exact opposite of its desired intent, and instead of getting people interested in a thing, making them sick and tired of hearing about it constantly. Thousands of books are published every year, and thousands more reprinted. Why should any reader pay more attention to a single author's book or series of books? Just because other people are buying and reading it? Just because it's advertised heavily? Sorry, but for those people who like to think for themselves, that's not a strong enough reason.

If I tell you that everyone's wearing red shoes, that red shoes are the hip new thing, and you should be wearing red shoes too, and that if you say you're not interested or that you don't like red shoes, then your reasoning is suspect and illegitimate, and then I trot out a bunch of statistics saying that red shoes have been amongst the top selling shoes of all time, is that really going to convince you to cave into all the pressure and buy and wear some red shoes? If so, then you're a sheep and I have some oceanfront property in New Mexico you might be interested in buying...
    Last edited by TiaDalmaFan; 07-29-2007 at 04:50 AM.

Well said Tiadalmafan.

The one thing about that best seeling chart is, other than the Potter books, the rest are old books no longer being hyped, and yet they still sell well.

Is this top twenty list, of books sold or printed? Two very differant things.

Nothing against RK Rowling, but I wonder how well these books would sell if Warner didn't try cramming these books down everyone's throat.

In 20 years, let's look at the top twenty list again, to see if any of these books stand the test of time and become classics.

• Sunshine is the best!!!

Blog Entries

I have not read the books but have seen the movies. After the last movie that came out, I was confused because apparantly there were parts left out. That got me curious. I have started the first book, but have not had time to read more.

The kids love the books and the movies and if it holds their attention and they are interested in reading then I am all for it.
    *When a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it.

• Winter in Oceanside...

20 Watership Down
    One of my all time favorite books!! (time to dig that out and reread it!)

BTW, I have read 1-1/2 HP books. They were okay, but nothing I'm rushing out (and waiting in line) to read. So much more out there that I would rather read.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

I've only seen the first Harry Potter and it was alright. Never saw any other of the films and never read the books. I put the films on my Blockbuster online queue but I'm in no rush to see them so I really don't consider myself to be a fan.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

No

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

whoops ...hit enter instead of return. D'oh.

Meant to say...

No I haven't read any of the books. Wrong place at the wrong time I guess.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast