Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
Results 61 to 65 of 65
  1. #61

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Toowoomba Queensland Australia
    Posts
    3,411

    Re: OK, who here is NOT a Harry Potter fan?

    Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    I watch the movies, that's it. And I'm not a "go see it the night it comes out" kinda guy either. I'll see it when I feel like it.

    But it is nice to see the general public that is so into the books BE excited about reading. I myself hate reading for pleasure, but it's a great thing to see younger kids (and hell adults too) get so enthused about a book series.
    That's exactly the way I am about Harry Potter

    Quote Originally Posted by doombuggy driver View Post
    I enjoy the movies, that's about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    I like the movies, but, I've never read one of the books.
    I bought the Goblet of Fire to read to the kids before we saw the movie, but I found that I was bored reading it (and I'm a huge reader)
    I have seen all the movies, and enjoy them, but don't run out and see them first thing


    Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

    "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

    Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

  2. #62

    • Oh... it's a bobby pin.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oakley, CA.
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: OK, who here is NOT a Harry Potter fan?

    Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee View Post
    Don't want to be mean but I see a pattern: People who don't like the books

    A- Never read them
    B- Turned off by the hype
    C- Don't understand what's happening in the story
    D- Fear the Witchcraft


    Anyway, if you say you don't like them because you never read them, then... that's like saying you don't like Korean food even though you've never ate it... seems backwards

    Being purposefully turned off by hype seems just a bad as blindly following hype. Either way you are letting the hype make your decisions for you.

    If you don't understand the story, then it is a legitimate reason not to like it. You read it, and you don't understand what's going on, then yes, you at least are in a position to judge, same with the people who read them and lost interest.

    Fear of Witchcraft? Well, I suppose that's a reason not to read them, though it seems a bit ignorant of what the books, or witchcraft, is.


    If you think it's nothing but hype, Read what Barry said. I will bet anything that fifty years from now people are still reading the Harry Potter Books. They tap into the collective unconscious much like other popular books from history including the oft-mentioned Wizard of Oz and Narnia books.

    For consideration, the top 20 highest selling books of all time

    1: The Bible
    2: Quotations from Chairman Mao
    3: The Qur'an
    4: Xinhuna Zidian
    5: Book of Common Prayer
    6: Pilgrim's Progress
    7: Foxe's Book of Martyers
    8: The Book of Mormon
    9: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Sorcerer's Stone)
    10: And Then There Were None
    11: The Lord of the Rings
    12: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
    13: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    14:The Da Vinci Code
    15: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
    16: The Catcher in the Rye
    17: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
    18:Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    19: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
    20 Watership Down


    Hyped it is, but... Maybe it's the English Major in me, but it seems a bit rancorous and petty to dismiss such a huge phenomenon as hype.

    PLUS, if you have a historical perspective, and factor in the differences between ages, then Harry Potter is probably no more hyped than many other celebrated books.
    People flooded the docks accidentally killing people waiting for the last installment of Charles Dickens "The Old Curiosity Shop". Speaking of Dickens, much of our current Christmas Celebration is residue from his successful novel: "A Christmas Carol"

    I knew that I liked you!!

    And, my whole thing about the Witch craft bit... You can't just pick one series and not read it becauSe of supposed Witchcraft.. If you're gunna dismiss Harry Potter for it, you might as well cross off the Lord of the Rings, the Wizard of Oz, a butt load of Disney movies (Fantastia, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Cinderella, ect...), The Narnia series and so on... Don't cop out because you think that HP is "evil." It's quite the opposite... and it does have slight (intentional? Unintentional?) religious undertones in a good way. I can't really give any examples, for I might be clubbed by a fan or two who hasn't finished the last book. But, these books will definitely be something that I will read to my children to teach them about good vs. evil, looking out for fellow man, actions and consequences and many other things.

    Let me tell you this, if you believe that there is value in Love, Selflesness, true Friendship, the bonds of Family and amazing Bravery, you might wanna give the series a try. What are you going to lose? Maybe a few hours, but that's better for your dear old noggin than a bunch of other things I can think of!

    Cheers!
    Last edited by Missviolet; 07-29-2007 at 05:41 PM.

    To live would be an awfully big adventure.

  3. #63

    • My cuties!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    WA state
    Posts
    3,576

    Re: OK, who here is NOT a Harry Potter fan?

    Quote Originally Posted by Missviolet View Post
    I knew that I liked you!!

    And, my whole thing about the Witch craft bit... You can't just pick one series and not read it becauSe of supposed Witchcraft.. If you're gunna dismiss Harry Potter for it, you might as well cross off the Lord of the Rings, the Wizard of Oz, a butt load of Disney movies (Fantastia, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Cinderella, ect...), The Narnia series and so on... Don't cop out because you think that HP is "evil." It's quite the opposite... and it does have slight (intentional? Unintentional?) religious undertones in a good way. I can't really give any examples, for I might be clubbed by a fan or two who hasn't finished the last book. But, these books will definitely be something that I will read to my children to teach them about good vs. evil, looking out for fellow man, actions and consequences and many other things.

    Let me tell you this, if you believe that there is value in Love, Selflesness, true Friendship, the bonds of Family and amazing Bravery, you might wanna give the series a try. What are you going to lose? Maybe a few hours, but that's better for your dear old noggin than a bunch of other things I can think of!

    Cheers!
    Because I think that bears repeating!

  4. #64

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San diego
    Posts
    734

    Re: OK, who here is NOT a Harry Potter fan?

    Me too, on the not interested camp that is. I've seen a couple of the movies on airplanes when there was nothing else to watch. I can't stand the red-headed guy who basically says, "bloody h e double hockey sticks" everly two minutes.
    Last edited by sdmom; 07-29-2007 at 07:07 PM. Reason: grammar

  5. #65

    • This is my car, Stitch :)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States
    Posts
    9,958

    Re: OK, who here is NOT a Harry Potter fan?

    Quote Originally Posted by Master Gracie View Post
    i heart samsma
    Quote Originally Posted by samsma View Post
    Awwwwww Shucks!
    YOu big lugg!
    I KNEW IT!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Similar Threads

  1. Harry Potter Day @ DL
    By cal4iri in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2007, 10:20 AM
  2. What Did Everyone Think Of Harry Potter
    By TENORDRUMMER in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2005, 05:04 PM
  3. Harry Potter is Gay
    By TinkPink in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-21-2005, 04:45 PM
  4. What if we were to put harry Potter....
    By Larxene1959 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-22-2005, 01:31 PM
  5. Harry Potter!!!
    By figment1986 in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 10:04 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •