Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Banned User

OK, who here is NOT a Harry Potter fan?

I'm not. I don't have any hate for it or anything like that, I'm just not interested in it. Never read any of the books, have no plans to. Saw the first movie once, on cable. Thought it was okay but didn't quite understand why it was so hugely popular compared to other children's stories.

Not criticizing those who do like it or are fans of it, but when I see the hype and hoopla surrounding every movie release and every book release, I just shrug my shoulders and find something else to read about or talk about.

I know I'm not alone in this. Anyone else here feel the same way about the Harry Potter thing?

• Banned User

Re: OK, who here is NOT a Harry Potter fan?

I have neither read nor wish to read the books or see the movies. I did watch the first show on tv to, but it did not hold my interest.

•   
    • So fetch

I'll admit I was a huge Harry Potter basher until 2002. I was given the first book as a gag gift for Christmas 2001. I read it and I was hooked.

I know quite a few people who aren't HP fans so you're not alone.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I am a Harry Potter fan but that's EXACTLY how I feel about Pirates of the Carribean and the Lord of the Rings.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I watch the movies, that's it. And I'm not a "go see it the night it comes out" kinda guy either. I'll see it when I feel like it.

But it is nice to see the general public that is so into the books BE excited about reading. I myself hate reading for pleasure, but it's a great thing to see younger kids (and hell adults too) get so enthused about a book series.

Not a fan here. I will watch the movies when they come out on DVD or if my daugher drags me to the theater, but other than that I could careless.
    I am not a fan of fiction books. I read mostly nonfiction.

• Grumpy old man

Never been a fan of it. The fantasy type stuff just doesn't appeal to me. It's same with me and the Lord of the Rings. Just seems boring and silly to me.

• Winter in Oceanside...

I'm not a big fan of the fantasy genre. I did read the first book and got though about half of the second. It did not hold my interest.

But as a teacher, I am eternally grateful to anyone who can get kids that excited about reading!!

(I've never been able to get through any of the LOTR books.)

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lightyear999 View Post
    I am not a fan of fiction books. I read mostly nonfiction.
    I agree with Mr. Lightyear (although I did go last night to get my wife a copy).
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    it is nice to see the general public that is so into the books BE excited about reading. I myself hate reading for pleasure, but it's a great thing to see younger kids (and hell adults too) get so enthused about a book series.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    But as a teacher, I am eternally grateful to anyone who can get kids that excited about reading!!
    I have to agree that it is refreshing to see young people excited about a book, or a series of books. That's always nice to see.

I used to read a lot of fiction when I was young, but today I only occasionally can get into a fiction book. I'm not quite sure why. I tend to read more non-fiction than fiction these days. I think the internet had something to do with this. I used to hang out for hours and hours at bookstores and libraries. Since the advent of the internet, I spend a lot of time online. But, when I do go to a bookstore or library, I still take time to browse. Last time I checked books out of the library, in fact (a few months back), I got WAY more books than I had any time to read. Ended up reading only a couple.

• Man O Lantern

I didn't get into it until the third book came out. My mom was in on it from the first book and tried in vain to get me to read the books. I'm not a fantasy reader, so I was SURE I'd hate it.

But I love the books so incredibly much. I've read all of them several times--except the seventh, which I just finished today. It's a beautiful set of books. What an imaginative and wonderful world to get lost in.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

While I love Sci Fi and fantasy books, I have never read any of the Harry Potter Books, and I've only seen two of the movies, and only because my daughter made me. She keeps wanting me to read the books. I told her as soon as she read the Dune series, I'd read Harry Potter.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

Quote Originally Posted by TiaDalmaFan View Post
    ...I used to read a lot of fiction when I was young, but today I only occasionally can get into a fiction book. I'm not quite sure why. I tend to read more non-fiction than fiction these days....
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    I didn't get into it until the third book came out...But I love the books so incredibly much. I've read all of them several times--except the seventh, which I just finished today. It's a beautiful set of books. What an imaginative and wonderful world to get lost in.
    I'm in the same boat here. I tend to read non-fiction when reading.

In 1999 Harry Potter had become a publishing landmine. "Bah!" I thought, "Anything this popular can't be that good."

One night I was stranded at the Philadelphia airport and decided to check out the new paperback of "Sorcerer's Stone." I figured I'd see what all the fuss was about and wanted something easy to read.

Little did I know.

Upon completion of the first book I went right out and bought the second, then the third. So wonderful to read them in succession. Then came the realization that I was going to have to wait a bit for the fourth.

AUGGHH!!

The thing I've found so terrific about the series of books is that they have grown along with the reader. "Sorcerer's Stone" is a children's novel. The fourth, "Goblet of Fire" changed this and each successive book has gotten more mature and complex.

The films, while mostly entertaining, are pale in comparison to the novels. Outside of "Prisoner of Azkaban" they've never captured the ordinariness of the wizarding world and the angts and growing pains of adolescence.

Which reminds me, what the heck am I doing on MiceChat when "Deathly Hallows" is sitting in my bag right now waiting to be read?

I'm outta here. I need to read.

• Man O Lantern

Enjoy, Ron! It was satisfying, to say the least.

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

I loathe the series.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast