Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Aloha from Hawai'i!

I finally got around to resizing and uploading my pics from Hawai’i so I wanted to share some memories of my recent visit to paradise.

We got to the islands Saturday night after waiting five and a half hours for our plane. A little advice, don’t ever fly Northwest Airlines unless you absolutely have no other choice. Not only was the plane so late that it blew our whole first day, but on the flight over there was no snack service at all. No pretzels, chips, nothing unless you coughed up $5 for a snack box. Lame. So we got to the hotel Saturday night, checked in and just hung out until Sunday. We spent the whole first day sitting here:

Waikiki Beach. It was fabulous, and exactly what we needed after such an awful travel day. I mean, how can looking straight up and seeing this

not make a person smile and forget everything else? Don’t ask me, because I know not.

See?

So, after a full day of lounging in the Hawai’ian sun and floating in Hawai’ian waters, what else was there to do, but head to a luau! Germaine’s Too Good To Miss luau, that is!

It really is Too Good To Miss too. Why you ask? Could it be because of the half nekkid hulagirls?

Nope! Well, okay, yes, but there’s more. Could it be, the dancing warriors?

My wife Steph would tend to say yes there.

(Yes, she is in fact drooling. By the way, I can’t help but proudly show off my lovely wife gazing out at the lovely surf at the luau. It was all so, lovely.)

Now, could it be Too Good To Miss because of the Mai Tais?

That’d be a reasonable argument, as they did get me leid.

But no! This luau is Too Good To Miss because of a little delicacy called Kalua Pig!

Mmmm yummy!

For the uninitiated, whom I pity, Kalua Pig is a pig which has been salted with sea salt, wrapped in banana leaves and burlap, set into an oven dug into the sand and buried with hot lava rocks to cook for hours on end, until out comes The Food Of The Gods. It really is amazing, and I scarfed down two and a half plates of it. I kinda like it.

Oh, and for the ladies, here is your kitchen staff. My wife was a fan.

Anyhow, moving on. That was Germaine’s luau, which I can whole heartedly say really is Too Good To Miss!

• Banned User

Re: Aloha from Hawai'i!

So, along came Monday and our first gig. For those not in the know, this was a tour with our jazz band, so I did, sadly, have to leave the beach to work. But, I can’t complain as our first venue was one of the coolest I’ve ever played at, or on rather. A battleship!

That’s the USS Missouri to be exact, and we played on the aft deck. It was awesome.

I’ve gigged at the Great Wall of China, but playing on a battleship was still one of the coolest gigs ever. It’s something I never imagined I would do.

After the gig we headed back to Waikiki for more beach time, and the next day played a gig in Kapiolani Park, near Diamond Head.

It was pretty sweet. Then, back to the beach to stick our feet in the sand some more!

And float in the water.

Good times.

• Banned User

The trip pretty much passed in this same way daily; gig, beach, beach, gig. We spent much more time during this trip just soaking up sun on the beach than we have in the past, and it was sublime. On our last free day at the end we decided to rent a car and visit the North Shore, stopping first of course, at the Dole Plantation.

Where we had another Hawai’ian delicacy, that ambrosia called Dole Whip.

Notice Steph’s shock and awe at my Dole Whip Split. Let me explain. We ordered said split with the idea that we would split it. Clever, huh? However, for some strange, and happy-making, reason the cashier made the split and a cup of whip for my wife, leaving the entire carved out pineapple half full of frozen soft serve pineapple goodness all to me. Miss Karma must have been happy with me that day. Miss Karma, I love you.

About half way through, I couldn’t help it and carved three little tikis into the remaining whip. They were happy too.

And then, I finished it.

I finished it all, in spite of all the passers-by who looked at me as though I were some sort of gluttonous Whip addict. If they only knew…

After Dole it was off to gorgeous Waimea Bay.

This is truly one of those dream sequence beaches, and we once again sat in the sun and floated in the water for a good long while.

After Waimea, we kept going north and around the island, stopping here,

(which I have no idea what beach it is, but it’s cool and made me happy)

and here,

and lots of other places.

I always marvel at Oahu’s mountains.

They’re so breathtaking and dramatic, not to mention that you look up and swear that any minute a velociraptor is going to jump out at you or a pterodactyl is going to fly out. Just awesome.

That night we walked down the beach, past Duke

to Cheeseburger in Paradise, where we had pineapple teriyaki burgers (almost as good I make) and drank Mai Tais out of sweet pineapple glasses.

Sadly the next day our trip ended and we had to go home. We had a red eye flight home, so we were able to relax on the beach most of the day before heading back to the airport, so that was nice. My wife even ran into my Mother in Law on the way down to Waikiki Beach (which was weird as we had no idea that she was going to be there) and they got a Mother-Daughter picture.

Ha ha! Okay, it’s not my Mother in Law, just a statue of her. Good likeness though.

• Banned User

So that was our trip to paradise. I actually enjoyed this trip even more than my last one there. This time we spent at least half, probably more, of our free time just sitting on the beach, which is a great way to visit Hawai’i.

Hope you enjoyed! Even better, hope you’re inspired to plan your own trips now!

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Wow. Hawaii, Dole Whip and Mai Tais. Could you have been any closer to heaven?
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    Wow. Hawaii, Dole Whip and Mai Tais. Could you have been any closer to heaven?
    Ya know, absent Carmen Electra, some baby oil and a monkey, I don't think so.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Great TR! Love the Islands.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Im so jealous of your vacation. So beautiful. Although that dole whip thing was a tad frightening!
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Winter in Oceanside...

Count me as jealous too! Fabulous pictures! Haven't seen blue skies in a long time. And that looks like a true Dole Whip! Not like those imitations you see in DLR.

• That Guy

Awesome report man, thanks so much for sharing.

I have a few requests.

1. Can you share your 'do's & don'ts' for a trip to Hawaii? I have never been, but I hear it is amazing, but there are things to beware of.

2. Can you post any video of your performance? I would love to hear some of your music.

Again, thanks so much, awesome report!

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Cool Re: Aloha from Hawai'i!

Awesome trip report dude! What are Mai Tais? the pictures were abosolute drop-dead gorgeous! Thank you SOOOO much for sharing! Aloha!
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Sunshine is the best!!!

Blog Entries

What beautiful pictures. I am also jealous. I would love to take a trip to Hawaii soon. It looks like you and your wife had a fabulous trip and thank you for sharing your photos!!
    *When a friend is in trouble, don't annoy him by asking if there is anything you can do. Think up something appropriate and do it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

That's awesome. I don't know what I miss more. Playing in a band and going around performing, or Hawaii!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Circle of Ancients

Awesome photos ...looks like you and your pretty wife had a great time!

I totally agree with you that Northwest Airlines stink....worst flight we ever had and a near miss at the Honolulu airport last summer.

ATA is the best!

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

That Dole whip looks pretty amazing!

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Wow those pictures are absolutely gorgeous! Glad you had such a great trip!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast