Coping Mechanisms

Not to go into a lot of detail, but things are sucking at my workplace, and I am trying my best to not let things get to me. I'm too the point where I go home at night (and trust me, I have a job where you really don't have to think about any of it once you've left for the day) and all I can do is pull the covers over my head and cry. I've tried talking to managers and it's not really accomplishing anything and it's a great company to work for, problem is dept specific. At this point, there's not much I can do but cope with it, at least for a few more months...anyone have any strategies on sucking it up and dealing with it?? I hold it all inside and then I feel like I am going to explode. I keep telling myself that I really have it good and that I am making myself nuts over nothing, but it's not seeming to help any...

Re: Coping Mechanisms

What is the problem? Is it co-workers? Bosses? Or just a bad atmosphere?
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• Still wants to be a cat!

Go ahead and vent right here, it's a nice outlet and most people will understand.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Take up a sport where you smack things. Or find something you can destroy and work out your anger. Preferably something where you can yell while you're doing it. I've been known to break pottery in the driveway when I need to work something out. My neighbors probably think I'm nuts but whatever.

Don't tell yourself that you're getting worked up over nothing- if it bothers you, it bothers you and there's no sense pretending otherwise.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

It's hard to know what advice to give, since I don't know if the problem is with the work or the people, or some other aspect of the job. Hopefully, it's something that can change.

Anyway, I'll say this: in my last job, I was working in food services at my university, and the work was brainless, but painless. My problem was the people - all the supervisors were always all over the backs of all the student workers, and the student workers were constantly badmouthing the supervisors. The supervisors all talked about each other behind each other's backs.

I had several supervisors who would randomly show up and hover over you, telling you you weren't working fast enough or you weren't doing it right, no matter what you were doing or how you tried to please them.

I don't know if your situation has anything to do with other workers, but the way I made it through that year was to never, ever take anything personally. If someone is on your case, you can evaluate whether their advice is actually helpful. If it is, great! If it isn't, don't pick a fight. Never get defensive, just hear them out and nod politely. That's all most people need to go their merry way. It's rarely something wrong with you, it's more likely someone else's need to dump aggression somewhere.

Anyway, I don't know if any of this fits your situation, but it really helped me once I learned how to see a bad work atmosphere for what it was - a bunch of silly, petty people.

As for dealing with stress that's already there, I try to have something to look forward to when I know I'll have a long day at work. Either I plan a nice dinner, pick out a favourite movie to watch, or some music I like, or a nice book, a hot bath -- anything you enjoy doing at home. That way, on a rough day, I can look forward to that and know that's what my real life at home will be like - the stressful work environment isn't my life, it's just my work. My 'real life' will be waiting for me at home and it'll be pleasant.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

I support an out of state office, and it seems like the inside reps in that office pawn off their work onto me if it's too difficult or they don't want to deal with it. They aren't responding to customers and those customers are coming back to me and are angry. I had one rep in that office this morning that told me to apologize to customer for something they didn't follow up on -- and their lack of follow-up and the customer's inital contact happened all while I was out on vacation! They already have me perform duties that are non-standard when comparedto other people with my position, but aren't really there to support me if I need something from them, but I have to hop to it if they need something. Also, I back up other people in my office who do the same thing I do. When they are out of the office on 40 minute long breaks and 2 hour lunches, I'm helping out their customers, and I don't get credit for them because I can't generate sales in their territory...so then my numbers are low, not because I'm not working, but because of how the organization is set up. And we've got the buddy system in the office, so those who are closer to the boss, get to do whatever the hell they want, and if anyone else complains, it just falls on deaf ears. I've tried getting help from management, but I've been told to deal directly with the management in the other office -- which I've done and had no positive results. It's not everyone in that office, but the inside support staff who are supposed to be working together with me think I'm their personal secretary or something...don't get me wrong, I like working, and the company itself is great, but I didn't go to school and get a college degree to be treated like a secretary (not that there's anything wrong with being a secretary -- I used to be one). I just feel like there's no way out. I can try to transfer to another dept here in a few months, but I dont know if that's the answer. My hubby's finishing up a competative internship right now, so I can only hope that he gets a stellar job and then I can go back to school or maybe work less hours or something...

•   

My advice is to start looking for something else.
    My Step Mom had a terrible manager that picked on her and picked on her. It's different than your situation but how you take it home and how it effects you reminds me of her. She ended up getting physically sick from the stress, developed IBS, went back to work and got fired.
    It made her a very different person. Her past and what happened at work ended up being fatal for her and she decided to take her life.
    Of course I'm not saying all people will do this but now anytime I hear someone going through so much at work it saddens me. No job is worth all that.