Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Narnian in Disneyland

6 hours and 29 minutes from the Happiest Place on Earth

What was your "Disney Journey?"

What was it that first got you to be so interested in Disney? Was it a specific moment or trip? What happened from there?

For me, I lived in California for about the first ten years of my life, so I went to Disneyland often, but it was never anything overly special. It wasn't until after I moved away and couldn't go there as often that I really started to like it.

I hadn't been there in about three years when I went with my dad and brother, who was talking about Disney history and pointing things out to me like the lamp in the Fire Station. When we got home, I started reading different websites like Yesterland and HiddenMickeys, preparing for our next trip, which I begged to be soon.

Now my trips are only once a year, but I started reading Miceage regularly about a year ago, so I can still visit the park "in my mind"

"Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah, Zip-a-Dee-Ay,
    Home sweet home is the lesson today."

You're wrong, Brer Rabbit, why would I want to be home when I can be at Disneyland?!?

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

Re: What was your "Disney Journey?"

Great thread idea.

I grew up 20 minutes from Disneyland, and each year, my parents would pull my brother and I out of school for a day and take us to Disneyland. On days we weren't going to Disneyland, it was agony driving down Interstate 5 and being able to see the park but not visit. It was a magical place to me. Has been for as long as I can remember.

What it means to me has changed as I have gotten older. It's been an escape from reality, a place to be with friends, and so much more, but it always remains magical, every time I walk through the turnstile.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• Narnian in Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJenn View Post
    On days we weren't going to Disneyland, it was agony driving down Interstate 5 and being able to see the park but not visit.
    I can imagine! I always hate it when we're leaving and I see all the tops to the buildings that I can't go in anymore.

(PS- I like your avatar! I used to love those books.)

You're wrong, Brer Rabbit, why would I want to be home when I can be at Disneyland?!?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJenn View Post
    Great thread idea.

I grew up 20 minutes from Disneyland, and each year, my parents would pull my brother and I out of school for a day and take us to Disneyland. On days we weren't going to Disneyland, it was agony driving down Interstate 5 and being able to see the park but not visit. It was a magical place to me. Has been for as long as I can remember.

What it means to me has changed as I have gotten older. It's been an escape from reality, a place to be with friends, and so much more, but it always remains magical, every time I walk through the turnstile.
    You said it perfectly for me!

I am a cradle Disneylander and have always lived no more than a half hour away at any point in my life.

People in my situation either love the place or they just take it for granted. If there is any hate out there I think it is because it is so expensive (something that even I agree with ususally).

My journey has always been me and Disneyland together. My perspective of the place constantly changes but for me, people come and go. But Disneyland will always be there.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

The funny thing is, I'm still that way! I have an annual pass now, but if I'm driving by the park and not actually going, I tend to be a little whiny.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

When Walt first started appearing as host of his television shows...that's when my "journey" first began. Later with the opening of Disneyland...that became sort of our neighborhood park. A place where everyone piled in the cars and headed to mainly weekends.

The first television shows...our Disney Journey was strictly as an observer.

With the Mickey Mouse Club...our Disney Journey became a bit more intimate and participatory.

And then when Disneyland opened...we really began our "Disney Journey" and even became part of the show in the "real" setting of the Park!

• Grumpy old man

It was always a part of my life as a child growing up, even though it was a 7 hour trip, I went at least once every 2 years, if not every year, alternating between going with my parents and my grandparents. I loved going and always looked forward to it.

Though what really sparked my love for me had to be in the old days of the Disney Channel when they would show the original Imagineer That! segments with that robot dude and he'd show behind the scenes of the parks and how things work, that coupled with my early interest in building things, making up "inventions" and the like, I became obsessed with not only Disneyland, but how everything worked, how it was built, etc. I strived to be an engineer and an inventor for a long time in hopes of being an Imagineer.

That love died as I went into high school, where I discovered my dislike of math would not be helpful with engineering plus it wasn't "cool" to like Disney, though I never got rid of any of my stuff, it was a small guilty pleasure.

My love was resparked in full swing last year when my grandparents wanted to take me and my cousins on a vacation and we convinced them to take us to Disneyland. I looked forward to my trip so much, I was reading whatever I could about the park, reading about the changes, reading about the rides, drilling my parents about memories, etc. Then after the trip, I still beaming, even more so with joining MiceChat, which I think has finally been the last brick in the wall that has cemented me in as a "Disney Geek" It's all your fault

• curiouser and curiouser

Quote Originally Posted by Gwendolen View Post
    What was it that first got you to be so interested in Disney? Was it a specific moment or trip? What happened from there?

For me, I lived in California for about the first ten years of my life, so I went to Disneyland often, but it was never anything overly special. It wasn't until after I moved away and couldn't go there as often that I really started to like it.

I hadn't been there in about three years when I went with my dad and brother, who was talking about Disney history and pointing things out to me like the lamp in the Fire Station. When we got home, I started reading different websites like Yesterland and HiddenMickeys, preparing for our next trip, which I begged to be soon.

Now my trips are only once a year, but I started reading Miceage regularly about a year ago, so I can still visit the park "in my mind"

My story is pretty similar. I used to be able to go all the time when i was a kid but i didn't necessarily care for it more than say Knott's or Magic Mountain. It wasn't until 96 when it had been more than two years since my last visit to the park that it really occurred to me how great it was and how much i suddenly missed it, and that's when i became completely obsessed.

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

I have always loved Disney movies, my dad saw to that, but it wasn't until my husband and I took our then 22 month old son to WDW then my true Disney Journey really began.

We lived in Fairbanks, Alaska at the time, and we flew a military jet down to Florida. We had to then drive from the pan handle down to Orlando. It was quite the trip. We got there in the early evening and had to rush to the Magic Kingdom first thing. It was truly magical. The castle, the CMs, the cleaniness and overall feeling of magic. Luke played at Ariel's Grotto and got soaked. We had to buy him new clothes from one of the shops. Everything was a wonder to him. One night, after going to MGM and watching the Indiana Jones show, he laid in his crib, talking in his sleep, "Boom! Fire! Hot!." We were hooked!

My husband started his Disney Journey with me that trip, but his exact moment was when he was waiting for some ice cream at the shop on Main Street when Luke and I stepped out for a moment. We went to a stand next store and bought Luke his first pair of Mickey ears and sunglasses. (The CM was so nice. I'll always remember her.) I put the ears and sunglasses on him and walked back into the ice cream place with Luke in my arms. Mark turned to see us and nearly cried. He loved the ears on Luke , he looked so cute. He was hooked.

Now we live much closer to WDW and go at least once a year. But lately that has been upgraded to twice a year with trips to DL and DLP thrown in. This October will be our first Disney cruise with hopes to go to TDL and Hong Kong. All due to a pair of Mickey ears on a cute little boy.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've loved Disney for as long as I can remember. I still have my first Mickey that I got over 30 years ago! He's beat up beyond belief but I don't have the heart to toss him.

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

I grew up near Disneyland and was always able to go at least once a year. But it wasn't until I started working there that I really developed a love and appreciation for the place. I'll always be proud that I got to work at the Park, always look back fondly at my time there and always look forward to visiting as a guest.
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

I've always lived on the other side of the country, about an hour and a half from Chicago, so Disneyland was NOT a big part of my life growing up. Then when I was 12 or so my family went out west to see relatives and my parents decided to take us to Disneyland while we had the chance. We spent two days and although I absolutely loved it, I remember saying as we left, "it was great, but I don't want to do it again. At least, not for a long time."

Well, a long time went by. Now, I've always loved ghost stories and dark rides, which made the Haunted Mansion one of my favourites. I was randomly surfing the internet and I decided to look up the Haunted Mansion for fun - I ended up at Doombuggies. I read through the whole site and it made me really miss the ride. Then I started to surf around other Disney sites and miss other rides. Now I know so much more about the park that it's become really special to me and I really love it, even though I still haven't been back.

When I do get back, it'll be terrific, but strange - like meeting someone you've only seen once but know everything about. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. If I can just make it through this school year!
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• Narnian in Disneyland

Since many of you have talked about TV shows and movies, I'm reminded of someone I know who took his first trip to Disneyland about a year ago with his family. He said he almost cried in Alice in Wonderland, it was so nice to see the movies that he'd loved come to life.

Nancywitt, that's such a cute story! And thanks for everyone's stories, I really enjoy hearing about how special Disney is in some people's lives.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Well, I was into and not in Disney on and off growing up, really into it the last few years of HS but then after college I fell away for a long time.

Then I moved to L.A. and a couple of trips got planned w/i a few months, so I bought an AP. And found a few Disney message boards (because I overprepare for everything!), fell in love w/Disneyland, started making Disney friends, started dating a Disney geek and now 3 years later.... I have a love that I hope will never end
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I have loved Disney as far back as I can remember. Apprently I was a big fan of Alice in Wonderland. I do know that I actually grew up watching the likes of the Alice Comedies and the Silly Symphonies (I really wish I knew what happened to these tapes). From 1989-1998 my family lived between Monterrey, CA and Sierra Vista, AZ. We would make at leats biannual trips to visit my grand mother, who was living in Redondo Beach, CA at the time. Each visit meant a trip to Disneyland.

My grand mother owned a copy of Disneyland: Inside Story and The Encyclopedia of Walt Disney's Animated Characters which I would read and look at for hours on end. A few years back I was given the books, and my grand mother said they were filled with old drawings of monorails and other parts of Disneyland.

In 1998 my family moved to Atlanta, GA and my interest in Disneyland faded. I still saw Disney movies and watched the Disney Channel. The Disney Channel, especially Vault Disney, was my connection to Disney.

Around 2000 my family made a trip to Walt Disney World. The Resort just wasn't what I expected. EPCOT Center seemed far too educational, the Magic Kingdom was greatly inferior to Disneyland, and the Disney-MGM Studios didn't offer a whole lot (didn't make it to Disney's Animal Kingdom).

Then in late 2000 I saw a spot on the Disney Channel about the new Disneyland Resort. I had not kept track at all of the development on the second gate. I was shocked to see that WestCOT had been replaced by a California park.

Realizing what had happened at Disneyland, I dove head first into the web. I don't remember who I found exactly when. So, as crazy as it sounds, Disney's California Adventure is what turned me into a crazed Disney fanatic...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast