Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 111
  1. #1

    • For old time sake
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    coming home
    Posts
    6,681

    Why can't people spell these days?

    This thought struck me for a couple reasons.

    1. Myspace is a mess with bulletins, profiles, etc with words spelled wrong. I am not talking about computer speak. I am talking about words people should know how to spell. Simple words

    2. I've seen many typos here and on other websites. EASY words like; clothes, experience, directions, etc. Words we learned in like 3rd grade.

    Are we as a society lazy? I know if I spell a word wrong it's not because I can't spell it. It is because I do not put my fingers on the right keys to type. Even still, I try to proof read before I hit submit. Is it that hard to do???

    I can't fathom that any English teachers in the world would be proud of half the misspellings of simple words on this or any other site. Am I being to nit picky here?
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!









  2. #2

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,060
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Why can't people spell these days?

    Spelling in English has never been good. English is a language that is entirely free to change and evolve. Spelling is just a socialinguistic normative that has come to be accepted, under the title of Standard English. The issue is that nobody regularly uses Standard English, be it American Stanard, British Standard, etc.

    Online discussions make the gap between spoken varieties of English and the local Standard English stand out. A write has editors and proof readers who go through a work and ensure that it complies with the local standards. Online written words are much, much closer to real time speach and are therefore a reflection of the various complexities and inaccuracies of spoken English.

  3. #3

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chickapin Hill
    Posts
    10,907
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Why can't people spell these days?

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneykat View Post
    I can't fathom that any English teachers in the world would be proud of half the misspellings of simple words on this or any other site. Am I being to nit picky here?
    As an English teacher, I can tell you I sit in shock and disbelief at what I see sometimes. It makes me sad. Spelling, especially on a site like this, where for the most part you are trying to offer informed opinions and discussions. Spelling lends itself to credibility. If I see a post with so many misspellings that I can't decipher the words, then I dismiss the argument all together. That's what I try to teach my kids.

    Unfortunately, the spelling issues seem to get worse every year.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!










  4. #4

    • itty bitty
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    The sun shines wherever I go
    Posts
    9,632
    Blog Entries
    29

    Re: Why can't people spell these days?

    You know its really bad when you're trying to read something and it actually makes your head hurt trying to figure out what the person is talking about.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

  5. #5

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ninjaville
    Posts
    6,639
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Why can't people spell these days?

    I have noticed this also and it drives me batty. I know it is easier for others to catch mistakes but like you say Disneykat a lot of times these are 3rd grade spelling words. I know my kids and their friends email messages just scare me because of all the typos.

    When my son was in 2nd grade he had a teacher that would send home notes with misspellings, after a few months of this I started correcting her spelling and sending the notes back to her. If a teacher cannot spell they are in the wrong profession.

  6. #6

    •   
    • Astigmatic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    In a sunbeam.
    Posts
    8,677
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Why can't people spell these days?

    Strangely enough, a friend and I were just chatting about this. Our conversation was brought up by a comment my niece posted on my MySpace page. It's rife with misspellings and odd capitalization.
    I would say that speed takes precedence over spelling when it comes to messaging, which would explain the lack of spell-check. But, what would explain the strange capitalization?
    I dunno. Er, I mean, I do not know.
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

  7. #7

    • Clearing my Calendar
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    T.A.R.D.I.S.
    Posts
    3,056

    Re: Why can't people spell these days?

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneykat View Post
    Are we as a society lazy?
    As a society? Yes.

    I know if I spell a word wrong it's not because I can't spell it. It is because I do not put my fingers on the right keys to type. Even still, I try to proof read before I hit submit. Is it that hard to do???
    I try to proof read, too. And I make regular use of the Edit button to correct glaring mistakes. Recently, I have been getting a little miffed at myself for common typos. You for your, their for they're, and then the complete omission of words.

    I'm getting angry at it because it is happening at a higher incidence than it ever has before - to the point that it is even affecting my work e-mails and documents. Luckily, I at least have the sense to proof read those documents twice before hitting "send" so no one important knows.

    It is disturbing to me that I'm one of the few who cares. The teenagers who are running loose on MiceChat while school is out don't care. My superiors at my last job didn't care what image they were projecting to the rest of the company. I suppose it is one thing when it's the Internet, but I suspect that company memos and school reports often have the same glaring mistakes.

    And yet I can't obtain one of those jobs that pays in the six digits. Because I don't have a degree.

    Am I being to nit picky here?
    I don't think you're being too nit picky at all.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."






  8. #8

    • Incognito
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,469
    Blog Entries
    49

    Re: Why can't people spell these days?

    Splelling bad dryves me absulotely crayzee!!!

    Seriously though, it drives me nuts! You'd think with all the TMing people do they'd spell better these days. But I guess when you abbreviate everything that can't help.

    I'm sure part of the problem is schooling. When you have bad spellers teaching kids to spell, of course they're going to be teaching them to spell incorrectly.

    I don't mind the occasional misspelling, we all do it. but whien itz dun all uf thee tyme it cun geet tu beee vrery anyoung.

    Hurts to read doesn't it?

  9. #9

    • Prefect
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hogwarts
    Posts
    3,804
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Why can't people spell these days?

    I don't think it's just these days. It's more than I can handle reading my MIL's AVON brochures she puts out, my SIL's things she uses for TEACHING SCHOOL, my husband's notes, & my FIL's lists. The whole family has spelling issues. It drives me up the wall! How did they possible graduate from college?!

    Everyone makes mistakes every once in a while, myself included, but when it's a constant thing, do something about it!!!

    This rant has been brought to you by the letter S for spell-check.
    <o>

  10. #10

    • Hiding in the shadows
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, United States
    Posts
    2,545

    Re: Why can't people spell these days?

    I am not a bad speller, but I am a fast bad typer so I tend to mess up spelling in a lot of my posts. I do try to go through and proof read, but being that I am also half blind I am sure I miss a lot of things I should see. Anyway, it doesn't bother me when people don't spell correctly unless I can not figure out what they are typing to say. I usually assume they were trying too fast and it was an honest mistake. I don't think people truely don't know how to spell (but I am a glass half full kind of person anyway)

    Edit: oh and as far as graduating college, unless there was an in-class written essay, most people had the opportunity to spell check all their papers prior to submission.

    A little piece of heaven

  11. #11

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Twin City
    Posts
    9,509

    Re: Why can't people spell these days?

    Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    As an English teacher, I can tell you I sit in shock and disbelief at what I see sometimes. It makes me sad. Spelling, especially on a site like this, where for the most part you are trying to offer informed opinions and discussions. Spelling lends itself to credibility. If I see a post with so many misspellings that I can't decipher the words, then I dismiss the argument all together. That's what I try to teach my kids.

    Unfortunately, the spelling issues seem to get worse every year.
    You make a great point. If I am going to make an argument, I better be sure I'm going to spell everything right and at least have SOME proper grammar.

    Seriously folks, one website to help you out:

    www.dictionary.com
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

  12. #12

    • Clearing my Calendar
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    T.A.R.D.I.S.
    Posts
    3,056

    Re: Why can't people spell these days?

    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    When my son was in 2nd grade he had a teacher that would send home notes with misspellings, after a few months of this I started correcting her spelling and sending the notes back to her. If a teacher cannot spell they are in the wrong profession.


    Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    If I see a post with so many misspellings that I can't decipher the words, then I dismiss the argument all together. That's what I try to teach my kids.
    I agree with that, as well. Proper use of the written language is as important as talking clearly. If you're slurring and mumbling, how am I supposed to understand what you're trying to tell me?

    DaT's dA sAmE tHIng as wHeN sOmE1 tIps LiKe dIs. Or types like this so its nothing more than just a run on sentence and its therefore hard to distinguish where the points of argument are so that one can better understand without an overexertion what the poster is trying to get across because OMG dont you know I just love DisneyLand as much as the rest of you and why cant I get involved in the discussion properly and get treated like friends as if no one wants to talk to me because Im good people too and I just cant get where all the negative talk is coming from why are you picking on me?
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."






  13. #13

    •   
    • Kerplookee
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    9,571

    Re: Why can't people spell these days?

    It's worse when the professionals get it wrong. (Although this one could have been done on purpose.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

  14. #14

    • For old time sake
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    coming home
    Posts
    6,681

    Re: Why can't people spell these days?

    Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post
    I am not a bad speller, but I am a fast bad typer so I tend to mess up spelling in a lot of my posts. I do try to go through and proof read, but being that I am also half blind I am sure I miss a lot of things I should see. Anyway, it doesn't bother me when people don't spell correctly unless I can not figure out what they are typing to say. I usually assume they were trying too fast and it was an honest mistake. I don't think people truely don't know how to spell (but I am a glass half full kind of person anyway)

    Edit: oh and as far as graduating college, unless there was an in-class written essay, most people had the opportunity to spell check all their papers prior to submission.
    This IMO is what i am talking about with society being lazy. We have become a society who just doesn't care about education, and communicating properly and more of a society that cares about getting even, being right, etc.

    Spelling is KEY in communicating. IMO, it looks bad if what you are typing online (even in a "fun Disney community") and your post is full of typo's. I'm not grammatically correct all the time. In fact I am willing to bet I would have a ton of corrections in this post alone, but WORDS!!! Spell them right people. It really makes one look bad when you spell simple words wrong.
    Last edited by Disneykat; 08-01-2007 at 09:17 AM.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!









  15. #15

    • is on the rocks
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Home sweet home
    Posts
    2,243

    Re: Why can't people spell these days?

    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    I have noticed this also and it drives me batty. I know it is easier for others to catch mistakes but like you say Disneykat a lot of times these are 3rd grade spelling words. I know my kids and their friends email messages just scare me because of all the typos.

    When my son was in 2nd grade he had a teacher that would send home notes with misspellings, after a few months of this I started correcting her spelling and sending the notes back to her. If a teacher cannot spell they are in the wrong profession.
    My mom used to babysit some cousins of mine. Her 2nd grade teacher would do something similar - she'd incorrectly grade her spelling tests! My mom was really annoyed by that. It's even worse when you consider that English is not my mom's first language and yet, she could spell better than this teacher. Doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence knowing that a child's teacher can't spell.
    She did it!


Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. OMG What is wrong with people these days?
    By _blackbeltsrule123 in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-08-2007, 11:34 AM
  2. Magic Carpet Spell in Spell Room!
    By yoyoflamingo in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-31-2006, 11:30 AM
  3. VMK Cant Spell?
    By pinkCHICLETT in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-26-2006, 07:10 AM
  4. What's the right way to spell.....
    By Barbaraann in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-10-2006, 04:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •