Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Re: Bridge Collapse in Minneapolis, MN

The bridge's claim to fame is that it was built with a single 458 foot long steel arch to avoid putting any piers in the water to impede river navigation. The downside to that design, as one can now see, is that if any part of that single arch goes, the entire bridge is in the river. And I just saw a pre-collapse photo. The span right next to it has a huge support post in the middle of the river. That pretty much defeats the purpose of the single-span design, and the other bridge was there first.
    http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1338294.html
    Last edited by steamboatpete; 08-01-2007 at 05:57 PM.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• For You!

Tink and BPF - so glad to hear that you and your families are okay - I hope that friends and other loved ones are as well.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• She was sweet as a peach

I am glad you are ok, BPF!

• Banned User

We're feeling happy and relieved for you.

BTW, the Twins-Royals game postponed for tomorrow (8/2) and the groundbreaking for the new Twins' ballpark has also been postponed until further notice.

• For old time sake

Tink I am glad you guys are all safe. My family is all safe, we called them as soon as we heard. Praying for all those involved. This is scary.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

Thanks everyone. BPF I am glad you are safe, I thought of you as well.

We had family members who were on the bridge 15 minutes before the colapse. So far family and close friends are all accounted for.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Wow.

That reminds me of an earthquake. I am glad to see you are ok BPF. I hope all the other Minnesotans are ok. I haven't heard from MtSplash. Hope he and his family are ok.

• Haunted Mansion Lover

What a horrible tragedy. My prayers go out to those affected and glad to hear you guys are all safe!
    Foolish Mortal

My in-laws are vacationing in Minnesota and Wisconsin right now. They've been gone three weeks. My MIL just called - collect - to ask if I'd been watching the news. She's crying and says "we weren't on the bridge - we weren't on the bridge". Apparently they had just gone over the bridge less than 10 minutes before the collapse. Scary. I had no idea that they were in Minneapolis today.

I add my prayers and positive thoughts for those affected.

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by TinkPink View Post
    I have been in tears watching this on the news. My husband drove across that bridge 3 times this afternoon for meetings. It is about 10 miles from out house. His uncle and cousin missed it by about 20 minutes. And my husband and son we going to go to the Twins Game but decided not to. Thank God, they could have been on the bridge if they had gone.

This is horrible.
    oh wow never knew you lived near there.. thank god you nare ok

Friends for life

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan View Post
    As many of you know I do live right here in the Twin Citites. I live in Dinkytown, which is a part of Minneapolis that is right next to the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities campus.

This evening I was on my way home from work a bit later than normal and at around six o'clock I was taking the detour to the 10th Ave bridge via Washington Ave (West side of the river). Since it was the end of rush hour and with construction at this time I expect to see cars backed up to turn right as we're hitting some small blocks in this area; however, when I finally made it to the intersection... I saw something else. I was on the exit ramp and in front of me cars were on approaching the intersection from the on-ramp. Confused and baffled, I kept waiting to turn. I could see a truck across a few lanes and a cop car with flashing lights holding and re-directing traffic in a U-turn up the on-ramp. A few vehicles even tried to enter that on-ramp, but were denied access. As I continued to 15th Ave, I was passed by a SUV fire truck and when the light changed I turned left and made my way to 10th Ave to take the bridge to University Ave (as the route of this detour.) I was on the speaker phone talking to Hollywood1939 when I quickly told him I had to go and would call him back. Cars were stopped and parked on both sides of the bridge with a number of people looking west at the 35W bridge. I drove slowly and as I looked to my left I immediately saw smoke. Then I saw cars at a dead stand-still and since I was driving and had originally planned to meet my parents I kept going. I saw a truck stopped and lots of flashing lights from emergency vehicles. I also saw the bridge as what appeared to be a ramp down into the river... and got scared. Since my parents were already in Dinkytown (as I had encountered more traffic) I tried to explain to my mom what was going on, but she didn't quite follow. As soon as I walked into the door I turned on the news and the first image I saw was that of the school bus just sitting there on the collapsed bridge. I yelled to my roommate who was getting ready for a date to come look and explained what had happened. We then called my other roommate and recieved calls from other friends in the area and everyone we know of is safe. As I got ready to meet my parents Hollywood1939 informed me that it was also on the national news, CNN, MSNBC, FOX, etc. That's when it hit me how large this was. The cell service here is busy, busy, and busy. I finally met with my dad outside and then my parents decided just to go home instead.

As I went back into my apartment building I went up to the 18th floor (I live on the 2nd floor) to the game room. When I looked outside and saw the bridge I just stopped. I couldn't walk any closer to it. As the other residents walked out it was only myself and another resident in there. He turned on the TV to WCCO and we watched the TV, out the window and listened to the TV. Since the cell service is busy, I was able to get text messages from MiceChatters and wanted to let everyone know I was alright. If anything, I'm a bit shookup. In 2002 they said that approx. 140,000 vehicles cross that bridge everday. Today, they say that number is about 147,000. That is my way to work. If my exit wasn't closed because of that part of the construction and I had left work at 5:30 instead of at 5:40 I would've been... who knows for sure. That's what I began to realize as I stood in the game room. I kept hearing sirens and emergency vehicles come by and it was helping calm me somewhat. But I couldn't just stand there and look down at Downtown Minneapolis for too long. The lights, the people on the pedestrian bridge, the boats, the smoke - it's just too much to take in. As I walked to the other side of the game room I could see a Blackhawk helicopter. As I looked I could see the 10th Ave bridge was now blocked off from all traffic and only had a few Police vehicles on it. That's where I drove by and saw this. The flashing lights are everywhere and also with boats in the Mississippi. I then learned from WCCO and Hollywood1939 of the train that was under it. I love walking down by those train tracks and I have personally walked under that bridge many, many times.

This is hitting me quite close to home. In fact, the bridge is four blocks from the place I call home. As I write this I hear more sirens going by and I see the clouds start to darken as a small storm is about to set in. I need to step back and take a break from this, especially since my body is shaking in shock. I need to just hide for a bit and let this all sink in. Thank you to all of you who were concerned. You're one big family to me. TinkPink, my thoughts went to you and your family as I know you live nearby Minneapolis as well. I am glad to hear that you are all safe as well.

thank god you ok I was so worried

Friends for life

• Circle of Ancients

This is tragic. Hugs to all in MN.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

That is so freaky. I have to drive across any one of three 7 mile bridges whenever I need to go to the other side of the bay and also a bridge if I go to the beach area, so when stuff like this happens it gives me major heebie jeebies.

• love my friends

i hate crosing bridges

I remmeber after the SF quake in 87 i think

we went to california and we had to cross the bay bridge.. I cried the entire time.. thinking a quake woudl come and we woudl be cushed

Friends for life

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

TINKPINK!!! I am so so so so glad that you and your family are all okay

BPF, glad that you and your family are all okay!

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast