Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Don't ya just hate it when....

my husband worked 12 hours last night (6pm - 6am) and when he got home he went to make coffee and sometime during the night our kettle passed away. It was alright at 7pm when I made tea...
    Here in Australia we don't use coffee makers, we have electric cordless kettles, that you just fill and plug in for boiled water.
    The good thing is that I wanted a new one (ours wasn't cordless), the bad thing is it was sunday morning and us Queenslanders still consider sunday a day off, so not much is open ( I had to go to an electroncs store rather than Kmart). The other bad thing is it couldn't have waited until thursday when Aldi has them for $7.99

I had to pay $39.95 for this one

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Re: Don't ya just hate it when....

Wait a minute....no coffeemakers in Australia? I wonder if I'm ever going to visit there.

I feel your pain. I've noticed, over the years, as I drive another coffeemaker into the ground, the next one is more expensive and more complex. Mine now drips directly into carafe like in a restaurant.

Yes, I drink that much coffee.

Interestingly, we call keeping things closed on Sundays "blue laws" here in the States. Not many people use the term any more. No alcohol or car sales is all that's left. I did a short stint in Fargo, North Dakota and they are one of the few states with blue laws still fully in effect. No mall; no supermarkets; no 7-11s. We had to drive to neighboring states to go food shopping on Sunday. It was silly.

But yeah, I hate it when the coffeemaker dies. We got smart around here. We bought a second one week keep for travel and just hack that out when the main one dies.

Coffee? Anyone?

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Banned User

I do not drink much coffee, one cup a day but 3 cups of tea.
    Tassie, is that for tea or coffee? what do you do to make coffee use instant coffee with the boiling water?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Interestingly, we call keeping things closed on Sundays "blue laws" here in the States. Not many people use the term any more. No alcohol or car sales is all that's left.
    Depends on where you live. A lot of stores sell liquor after 11am on Sundays now. And I know of several car dealerships around here that are open on Sunday as well. When I bought my car a couple years ago, I went and signed most of the paperwork on a Sunday.

Not a coffee drinker, but I understand having a precious electronic device die at the most inopertune time.

In Colorado, liquor and beer are sold from liquor stores and restraunts. Grocery stores only sell "kiddie" (3.2) beer.
    You can buy a car on a Sunday.

Growing up in Texas, they could not sell toys on Sundays... odd.

• Banned User

in montana the booze stores are closed, but you can buy a bottle at a bar... you can not buy a car on sunday here.... hummmm I do not think so when I go out today I will look
    stores are generally open even on sudays.

•   

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

Here in LA, you can pretty much buy anything anytime. You can't buy alcohol between 2am and 6 am, but that's about it. Home Depot, grocery stores, Autozone (an auto parts store), fast food - they all have at least some 24 hour stores. There are 24 hour gyms. Very few things are unavailable on Sunday. Most privately owned auto mechanic shops are closed, but the big chains like Pep Boys are open. 7-11s are all 24/7. It's a big shock when I travel to find things open limited hours/days. Even on many holidays the department and electronic stores are still open - that's when they have big sales.

Fluffy Club Member

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    what do you do to make coffee use instant coffee with the boiling water?
    That's what I was wondering. Ugh.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lady3jane View Post
    Here in LA, you can pretty much buy anything anytime. You can't buy alcohol between 2am and 6 am, but that's about it. Home Depot, grocery stores, Autozone (an auto parts store), fast food - they all have at least some 24 hour stores. There are 24 hour gyms. Very few things are unavailable on Sunday. Most privately owned auto mechanic shops are closed, but the big chains like Pep Boys are open. 7-11s are all 24/7. It's a big shock when I travel to find things open limited hours/days. Even on many holidays the department and electronic stores are still open - that's when they have big sales.
    yeah, we small town folk loose some things, like 24 hour stores ..... but much less traffic, people, and crime is also not here.
    I love to have what you all have, heck I would run naked thru the streets if I could have a costco here or a target !~! and that my friend would scare the heck out and scar for life the people who see me running
    But again, I can not stand over crowded parks, streets, and highways.. if you drove in Montana, you would laugh, there is no highway traffic, LOL!

• Man O Lantern

I'm the coffeemaker killer. When I killed my second $150+ coffeemaker, I realized that I shouldn't have nice coffeemakers. So now I just buy ones that catch my eye every year.

For the occasions when the coffemaker is dead (or for those mid-afternoon pick-me-ups), I have two french presses. God bless Bodum.

I can't imagine using a kettle to make coffee and not a coffee maker? I'm confused!

• She was sweet as a peach

We have a french press as our back up coffee maker too.
    I love our automatic coffee maker but it seems wasteful to make a pot in the afternoon when I only want two cups (any thing less than four cups doesn't turn out right).
    Fortunately I have recently discovered the tea equivalent of coffee to have in the afternoons (Scottish Breakfast Tea). It is strong and holds up well with milk.

we have electric cordless kettles
    I was watching Crocodile Dundee II recently and noticed that was how Sue made her coffee.

• Banned User

I have a small 4 cup maker... but yet no way does it hold 4 cups. so I went out and bought a 12 cup coffee maker. I started making iced coffee with the coffee,flavorings and my magic bullet. there soooooooo good I forget I made a whole coffee pot full of the stuff and am a crazy mess for a few hours

• Winter in Oceanside...

I have a small 4 cup maker... but yet no way does it hold 4 cups.
    I have that same coffee maker and I think the cups they are talking about are the little cup and saucer size that they used to drink in the 50's. It is actually a perfect size for DH and me.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    I have that same coffee maker and I think the cups they are talking about are the little cup and saucer size that they used to drink in the 50's. It is actually a perfect size for DH and me.
    if yours goes out email me I will send it right away, I love my 12 cup maker, of course my nerves take a licken :lol; all that iced coffee

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    Wait a minute....no coffeemakers in Australia? I wonder if I'm ever going to visit there.

I feel your pain. I've noticed, over the years, as I drive another coffeemaker into the ground, the next one is more expensive and more complex. Mine now drips directly into carafe like in a restaurant.

Yes, I drink that much coffee.

Interestingly, we call keeping things closed on Sundays "blue laws" here in the States. Not many people use the term any more. No alcohol or car sales is all that's left. I did a short stint in Fargo, North Dakota and they are one of the few states with blue laws still fully in effect. No mall; no supermarkets; no 7-11s. We had to drive to neighboring states to go food shopping on Sunday. It was silly.

But yeah, I hate it when the coffeemaker dies. We got smart around here. We bought a second one week keep for travel and just hack that out when the main one dies.

Coffee? Anyone?

Peace,
    Roo
    we can buy them, and most people have one shoved in the back of the cupboard, just we are used to using the kettle LOL LOL

I do not drink much coffee, one cup a day but 3 cups of tea.
    Tassie, is that for tea or coffee? what do you do to make coffee use instant coffee with the boiling water?
    Karla, all it does is boil water, so you can make tea, coffee (yep, the instant stuff), soup, hot chocolate......

When we were in the US, we are so used to having the instant that I searched everywhere for an electric kettle. I found onew at Macy's and used that everywhere

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast