Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Hiding in the shadows

TR: The Trollys go to Bass Lake and Yosemite [Photo Heavy]

My family -me, hubby, The GirlTrolly (age 3.5) The BoyTrolly (age 2) and the in-laws (yep) took a week long vacation at Bass Lake Jul 22-29. This TR is a week late as I had 702 unread emails when I returned to work, so I figured I should do those first!

We went to get the boat Friday 7/20, which was a great time since a Semi had jackknifed on the I-5 at Parker Road in Castaic, right were we have our boat in dry dock storage. 2 hours later we finally had it home (this would be the first of a few mishaps in the beginning of our trip). We cleaned it on Saturday and Sunday morning loaded it up!

We rented a house which was not available till 3pm, so planning on a 5 hour drive from Santa Clarita (towing a boat); we were on the road by 9:30am.

We drove up the I-5 and down the grapevine to the 99...we got new brakes on my car a few weeks earlier to be safe

BTW - I love the brake failure areas, if this gravel lined hill doesn't stop you, the fall off the cliff at the end sure will!

Up the 99 to Hwy 41

Finally, Bass Lake resort is in sight! Our house is right near the Pines resort and we have a boat slip on the Pines dock

We got the keys and unloaded the boat and hubby and I took the boat to launch it in the lak (which is about 6-8 feet low). The boat started, then died and would not start, there was an obvious issue with the gas getting from the tank to the engine...so we brought the boat back to the house to wait for the repair shop to open on Monday.

So first night there hubby and I decide to walk down to the Pines for a beverage, half way down to town (9:30 at night) we lose power (we meaning all of Oakhurst and BassLake…transformer blew), We get back hom to find the kids watching a movie on grandmas computer in the drak. Thankfully hubby had brought light sticks.

On Monday hubby took the boat to get repaired. Sure enough the tube that pulls in the gas had snapped (it happens I guess), so $130 later the mechanic who didnt have the part jerry rigged something to work and we finally launched the boat (lake pics to come in a bit)

Tuesday
    Hubby and I took a drive to go visit our favorite watering hole. We have a house in Coarsegold that we rent out, which is about an hour from Bass lake. Our favorite place is a small tavern. It's in Knowles which is off Road 415 I believe between Coarsegold and Raymond. The road that now goes past the Hills Pride Inn used to be rail line to the rock quarry, which still operates today with awesome granite. HPI has been around for almost 100 years!

On Tuesday we planned to make Mac N Cheese ala Bobby Flay. This has 5 cheeses + Pancetta, eggs etc. He made it in a Throw down in about 30 minutes (he won BTW), it took my and MIL about 3 hours…so worth it though.

Recipe is here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._36350,00.html

Bass Lake
    You can see on the other side of the shore how much the lake is down, there is usually no beach on that side. Thats my boat there on the right fourth from the end of the dock.

Playing in the Lake

Hubby and FIL

my MIL would freak every time hubby threw the children, they however loved it!

My MIL also freaked when we took the kids on the inner tube. Our boat has a very small engine, so it was totally safe!

Me and the Boy

My and the Girl

This is the view from the cove where we normally anchored to play

Ducks! (And poor kids with their life vests (she never complained, but that has to hurt))

The Pines Resort…this is where they filmed “The Great Outdoors”

It has a great view

The Pines dock (we try not to buy lake gas, but its there if you need it)

Ducey's has both a fancy restaurant and a bar and grill, its right on the lake.

From our boat in dock, the moon was rising to the east as the sun was setting in the west

Pines at Night - On Fridays they do Jazz on the lake, so we sat in our boat and relaxed!

Up next, Yosemite!

A little piece of heaven

• Hiding in the shadows

Re: TR: The Trollys go to Bass Lake and Yosemite [Photo Heavy]

Part 2 - Yosemite

The tunnel on the way to the valley floor

The Views!

Mariposa grove of Sequoias

The family

The Girl and Boy Trollys

My black and White attempt

Bridal veil trickle err…Falls (or what would be if there was more water)

The valley floor

With the drought the bears are really coming out apparently…although we didn’t see any, except this wannabe

Part 3 coming up...Childrens museum, the Forks and the ride home!

A little piece of heaven

• Hiding in the shadows

Children’s Museum in Oakhurst

We really needed a day with just me, hubby and the kids so we decided to go into Oakhust on Thursday and go to the Childrens museum, it was tons of fun!

Electricity….electricity (I love that school house rock song)

Does this thing have MiceChat

They had a huge rock and mineral exhibit, including a light box with fluorescing minerals (I love geology)

Hello, is anyone there?

The Boy LOVED this floating earth thing

Say Yes or No, do not nod your head (this same rule applies for online chat)

After that we hopped on the boat for a quick swim then off to get the Girl the ice cream hubby had been promising her for two days now...

A snack across the lake at “The Forks”

And with that our week was over. It went by very quickly, even with the power outsgae, broken boat etc, we had a blast. One note...a little bit of the inlaws goes a LONG way. But glad we had them so hubby and I had some time alone too!

Back up the grapevine to home

Total Miles

898.7 Miles
    65 gallons of gas (yes only 13.8 average miles per gallon...the boat killed our mileage) Luckily gas was $2.99 even in Oakhurst!

Thanks for reading!

The End!

A little piece of heaven

• Beep Beep!

Fun report, thanks for sharing.
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

• All you need is LOVE

Thanks for sharing all the photos

• Do You know?

Thank you, thank you, thank you for that report! I used to work at Yosemite and I forget how much I miss it and you helped me remember. I saw those Half Dome & Sentinal Dome shots and immediately made me think of the smell of that place. Love.

Great report and great family.

•   

Great report!! It looks like you had a great time!!

My Mom and StepDad are up there at Silver Lake right now and on Saturday they saw a Mama Bear and her cubs (2 I believe) at 10am! They just came out and didn't care.

It's sad to see the falls all dried out........
    WE NEED SOME RAIN!

• Hiding in the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by cal4iri View Post
    Great report!! It looks like you had a great time!!

My Mom and StepDad are up there at Silver Lake right now and on Saturday they saw a Mama Bear and her cubs (2 I believe) at 10am! They just came out and didn't care.

It's sad to see the falls all dried out........
    WE NEED SOME RAIN!
    My husband had our daughter watching The Great Outdoors so many times (yeah great movie for a 4 year old btw...but thats another story). She so wanted to see bears, but I was happy with just the bear signs!!!

It rained a bit on Tuesday night before we went which may be the only reason bridal viel had any mist, Yosemite falls was completely dry. Unfortunately we planned our vacation late in the summer so it would be warm on the lake, which meant it would be pretty dry.

A little piece of heaven

•   

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post
    My husband had our daughter watching The Great Outdoors so many times (yeah great movie for a 4 year old btw...but thats another story). She so wanted to see bears, but I was happy with just the bear signs!!!

It rained a bit on Tuesday night before we went which may be the only reason bridal viel had any mist, Yosemite falls was completely dry. Unfortunately we planned our vacation late in the summer so it would be warm on the lake, which meant it would be pretty dry.
    Its not normally this dry or low (lakes) around this time though is it?

A little over 3 weeks ago we were up at June Lake and the falls around there weren't going at all either. I'm not used to seeing that but I've only been there 3 times. I've never seen them dry.
    I was surprised that June Lake didn't seem low though. I thought for sure it would be.

• Man O Lantern

Great pics, thank you for sharing!! What a beautiful vacation!

And my daughter has that same life jacket. Ouch!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I must admit that I've never been there, and your report was like a mini-summer vacation for me! Great job! And I loved "Kid Bear"....

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I just went to Yosemite about two weeks ago and loved it. Bass Lake, though, I haven't been to since I was a kid. I miss it. Shaver Laker, too.
    Fight On! Beat the Beavers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    The only thing we have to shame is ... shame itself!

• A Pirate's life for me!

Great report!

Thanks for sharing!

We enjoy Bass Lake twice a year in the motorhome. Our RV Resort is right next to the entrance sign for The Pines Resort. In fact, you can see it in your entrance photo. Bass Lake RV Resort.

Ducey's has special Brunch's throughout the year. We have done the Mother's Day and Father's Day events there.

During our trips, we rent a pontoon boat from Ducey's boat dock for the day. The Lake is small, but beautiful!

Funny...Last year we were there during the week of July 24th and the power went out on us too! Must be an annual thing! LOL

Thanks again!

Wonderful pictures of yosemite valley and Half Dome.Thank you so much.

• Wonderful World

Great Photo's. Yosemite looks very scenic, I might have to take a trip there one of these days.
    I'm back MiceChat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast