Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Barry Bonds has a Mechanical Advantage

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1003621797

Beyond his alleged steroid use, Barry Bonds is guilty of the use of something that confers extraordinarily unfair mechanical advantage: the “armor” that he wears on his right elbow. Amid the press frenzy over Bonds’ unnatural bulk, the true role of the object on his right arm has simply gone unnoticed.

This is unfortunate, because by my estimate, Bonds’ front arm “armor” may have contributed no fewer than 75 to 100 home runs to his already steroid-questionable total.
    Bonds tied Henry Aaron’s home run record of 755 on Saturday night and will go for the new standard this week back at home in San Francisco.

As a student of baseball – and currently a mechanics consultant to a major league baseball team -- I believe I have insight into the Bonds "achievement." I have studied his swing countless times on video and examined the mechanical gear closely through photographs.

For years, sportswriters remarked that his massive "protective" gear – unequaled in all of baseball -- permits Bonds to lean over the plate without fear of being hit by a pitch. Thus situated, Bonds can handle the outside pitch (where most pitchers live) unusually well. This is unfair advantage enough, but no longer controversial. However, it is only one of at least seven (largely unexplored) advantages conferred by the apparatus.

Six more advantages at the link...

And of course, the device is grandfathered, and not available to other players...
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Re: Barry Bonds has a Mechanical Advantage

I wonder if an * for the steroids should be joined by ** for his "device"

• Banned User

Please tell me this isn't serious? People will always try to find ways of keeping others down. He's been wearing that thing since he debuted and yet he wasn't hitting 50 homers until the late 90's.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

I am just playing devil's advocate here. Bonds "alleged" steroid use + this mechanical device. Add that together against Hank Aaron playing 8 years at Atlanta's "Launching Pad" where home runs were as numerous as the mosquitoes on a muggy summer day. Doesn't it all come out in a tie or at most turn out to be slight unfair advantage to Bonds?
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Time Traveler

I'm at a loss for words right now.
    I hate robots...

One Annual Pass-$365 379
    Gas For Car- $60
    Meeting Billy Goat Bob- Priceless

• Banned User

Well, there's always the coulda/woulda/shoulda thing with any player. Take Willie Mays. He played for so many years at the Polo Grounds, which had short left and right fields but center field was almost impossible to hit a home run in. Since 1923, only 4 people hit a home run to cf there. Numerous people have said that had he been playing in a smaller park he would have been in the 700's.

Cheat mabey?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by draybook View Post
    Well, there's always the coulda/woulda/shoulda thing with any player. Take Willie Mays. He played for so many years at the Polo Grounds, which had short left and right fields but center field was almost impossible to hit a home run in. Since 1923, only 4 people hit a home run to cf there. Numerous people have said that had he been playing in a smaller park he would have been in the 700's.
    And what about the ten years he played at then open-ended Candlestick Park? I'm sure that the swirling and blowing winds took away as many homers if not more than they helped Mays with.

Vin Scully once mused that Barry Bonds comes to the plate with more armour than they had at the Vaginot line.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Done and Gone

He's a cheat and I will never recognize his "accomplishments". He was never a cheery chap but he was a great hitter and had a wonderful eye for the ball but got greedy and decided to become the incredible hulk.

Baseball is a game full of pine tar, spit, sandpaper, corked bats and god knows what else. The difference is an ump can (mostly) see these things and act accordingly. As for launching pads, and short fences, anybody want to talk about the Rockies before the humidor? The difference is even with some of these locations advantages, nobody came close to 70 HR in a season for a reason. There wasn't something magical in the water those couple of years. (Not for the rest of us anyways...)

An ump can see cork in a shattered bat or pine tar on the pitching hand, but he can't see you juicing up, or for the sake of this thread, do anything about a granfathered piece of hardware. This goes for any juicer in the game, although there are only a few who are as obvious as bonds. (McGwire and Sosa included)

I've stuck to my guns for the years leading up to this and I will continue to stick to it now.

• Banned User

755 Career Home Runs*

* - Enhanced with The Cream and the Clear...and some with the armor.

The real reason on why he wears that pad was that Bonds was injured when he was hit by a pitch a few years ago and it broke his elbow IIRC. For that reason, he wears it, and now since there has been maximum limits for such equipment, MLB banned the larger pieces a few years ago. Barry and David Ortiz continue to wear those larger pieces as they have been "grandfathered" prior to that.

• Colorful

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    And what about the ten years he played at then open-ended Candlestick Park? I'm sure that the swirling and blowing winds took away as many homers if not more than they helped Mays with.

Vin Scully once mused that Barry Bonds comes to the plate with more armour than they had at the Vaginot line.

--Barry
    Is it harder to hits Home Runs at Candlestick or AT&T? Just wondering.

• Done and Gone

I don't think the wind tunnel effect is so great at AT&T. At least there isn't a swirl of hot dog wrappers and such like I remember seeing at candlestick.

• Colorful

Quote Originally Posted by sneakerspray View Post
    He's a cheat and I will never recognize his "accomplishments". He was never a cheery chap but he was a great hitter and had a wonderful eye for the ball but got greedy and decided to become the incredible hulk.
    Time to play Devil's Advocate again. I'm not giving him a pass or anything but Athletes are a competitive bunch. Undoubtedly Bonds is on the inside and knows a lot more about what is going on inside clubhouses around the league. I will bet the farm that Bonds knew about many players juicing up during this era before he started taking the juice himself. There should have come a time when Bonds knew that a majority of his peers were juiced. Bonds as three choices

1. Rat everyone out.
    2. Keep quiet
    3. If you can't beat 'em join 'em.

Bonds chose number three. It was definitely the wrong decision but he did so. Remember that Bonds is hated in the media. if he ratted the cheaters out you would have been able to hear the backlash against him all the way to the Moon. It's his own fault but if Bonds was nice with the media even though he didn't like them things might have been different. In his situation I don't blame Bonds for not ratting anyone out. But his decision to juice up himself was definitely the wrong one. Of course you could argue that Bonds and anyone not juiced up for that matter, was at a complete competitive disadvantage.

That's just my hypothesis as a Baseball fan.

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper View Post
    Time to play Devil's Advocate again. I'm not giving him a pass or anything but Athletes are a competitive bunch. Undoubtedly Bonds is on the inside and knows a lot more about what is going on inside clubhouses around the league. I will bet the farm that Bonds knew about many players juicing up during this era before he started taking the juice himself. There should have come a time when Bonds knew that a majority of his peers were juiced. Bonds as three choices

1. Rat everyone out.
    2. Keep quiet
    3. If you can't beat 'em join 'em.

Bonds chose number three. It was definitely the wrong decision but he did so. Remember that Bonds is hated in the media. if he ratted the cheaters out you would have been able to hear the backlash against him all the way to the Moon. It's his own fault but if Bonds was nice with the media even though he didn't like them things might have been different. In his situation I don't blame Bonds for not ratting anyone out. But his decision to juice up himself was definitely the wrong one. Of course you could argue that Bonds and anyone not juiced up for that matter, was at a complete competitive disadvantage.

That's just my hypothesis as a Baseball fan.
    I totally agree with you.
    I'm not a huge fan of Bonds and I don't like knowing that any athlete is juicing it up. But even still, not every athlete could hit what he's hit even if they were juiced up.

I just think it's sad sports have come to what they are today.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper View Post
    Is it harder to hits Home Runs at Candlestick or AT&T? Just wondering.
    My comparison regarding Willie Mays involved pre-1970 Candlestick (Mays was with the Giants until early 1972).

Candlestick was enclosed in 1970 to accomodate the San Francisco 49'ers.

Prior to that, the stadium was open-ended, with winds whipping in right off the water.

Remember that when the Giants agreed to move west, the stadium site on Candlestick Point was chosen for political expediency and not for being a great site for baseball which it wasn't.

Part of the engineering that went into PacBell/SBC/now ATT Park was to find an area where winds would be less of a factor, and build the stadium accordingly.

For the record, after coming west from New York's Polo Grounds, and three years at the minor league Seals Stadium when they first moved to SF...

Mays played nine seasons at the old Stick ('61-'69) and 2-plus seasons in the newer one 70-early 72 when he was traded to the Mets.

And Bonds, after his years in Pittsburgh, played seven seasons 1993-1999 at the newer 'Stick before they moved into the newer digs.

I would say it was harder to hit homers at the Stick...especially the old Stick. I could run the numbers, but of course that wouldn't tell the whole story anyway.

--Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 08-07-2007 at 10:28 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast