• off in lala land

Crazy for your OTHER family members

I love my pets, and I love hearing stories about what other people do for their pets. Just today, a good friend sent me an email of how she celebrated her dog "Frida's" 1 year birthday.

Share your pics of the things you do you for your OTHER family members.
    ...it's been a long time.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: Crazy for your OTHER family members

I find it so interesting how it seems most people these days that have pets go so googly with them. I grew up in a house where we had a dog from the time I was 4 until my last doggy died when I was 27. I played with her and loved her and such, but we never got her a b-day cake, or put clothes on her or anything. The only thing she had were some toys (balls and a tied up rag) and her dog house and they were happy! And she was an outdoor dog. She slept outside every night (unless it was storming really badly or cold, and even then she was relegated to the pantry). She ate and drank outside. She wasnt allowed in the house "just 'cause". And I think if I had a dog at my house now, it'd be the same way. Does this make me a bad pet owner?? Does anyone else have a pet nowadays and not go crazy with stuff like this anymore?

Anyway, since -I- dont and never did stuff like this, it doesnt mean family and friends dont now with their pets. One takes his dog to McDonalds occasionally and gets it a burger! Another buys these specially baked cookies at a special pet bakery for their dog.

• For old time sake

Dude that cake looks GOOD!!!! Ok I won't get a cake for my cats, but they do get spoiled and have their pics taken ALOT

I talk to them like children though. It's insane. I think how each person raises their pets is up to them. My thing is, as long as they are being fed, and given shelter and not being abused......I HATE seeing people smack their animals. I spanked Marley once and felt guilty all day.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Gay Man

OTHER family members? These ARE my kids!

OK. I'm not going to post 5 pics here. I have a lot of kids.

• insufferable know-it-all

Our dogs have the run of the house, always have. They didn't used to get to sleep in our bedrooms though. Now they do.

Unfortunately my apartment community doesn't allow pets, so until I get a place, my dog lives at my mother's. But when I visit, he sleeps in my bed (and when I'm not there, he sleeps in my mother's bed with her 3 dogs and whatever foster doggies she has that week.

We're "dog people".

I feel sorry for dogs who are left in the yard and never let inside. Dogs are pack animals, so unless you have two, it is somewhat cruel to make your dog stay outside. I'm still not nuts about keeping the dog outdoors in all kinds of weather, but at least during good weather, as long as the dog has a buddy out there with him it's sad but okay. My brother's dogs are outdoor dogs until night and then they're trained to sleep on their cushions by the door and nowhere else. That's cool, because at least they're allowed in and treated like family.

My dog is just plain spoiled and I know it. How do I know it? How many dogs will scratch at their food or water dish because it's LOW? Not empty, just low. I'm tellin ya the dog's a brat prince.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Just Me

Nah, I don't like critters, especially small furry ones with big ears and long tails... OMG!!! They are staring at me... must not open cages, must not look back...