Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Is this the real you?

Let me explain...

The person who types in the forums, creates threads etc.. is that the real you? I know that I am better communicating through here than I am in person because I can stop, think and edit if necessary so I can say exactly what I really mean.

In person, my brain doesn't exactly send the messages to my mouth that well and I find myself not being able to say anything because I worry about how it comes across. So I embarass myself sometimes because I say something that just doesn't come out the right way. LOL

Anyone else have these problems or maybe the opposite, you come across as rash and harsh on the boards but are a sweetheart in person?

• Just Me

Re: Is this the real you?

I am pretty much what you read. I don't feel comfortable around large groups of people. But I do have my funny/sarcastic moments. I can also be very warm and caring when I feel close to someone.

•   

I think the way I am here is a little bit of the real me. You can't get the real me unless you meet me or know me.
    On the boards, some people might think you're funny and some people might hate you. But in person, those same people might think the opposite of you.

• Hiding in the shadows

I am pretty much the same here and in person except online I am more comfortable being myself to people I don't know. I am quite shy (hence why I have yet to attend a meet even though I have been at the park several Sundays...I keep hoping I will get the nerve).

I am probably more willing online to speak my mind when I don't agree with something, but even then I find myself backing down...weird.

A little piece of heaven

• Bionic Village Babe/RCMC

I am pretty much the same, but like you Summer I always come out wrong when saying things in real life. I am more bold and less shy on here than in real, in real you can't really get me unless you know me. Otherwise i come across as some shy, weird girl or something along those lines.

Bionic Village Babe of the RCMC
    "Wisdom is knowing what you don't know" - Socrates

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

What an interesting question.

I know that I watch what I say in real life, and I weigh my words very carefully before I post them. So in that respect, I am the same. I am basically a shy person.

Since MiceChat has been around for over two years now, I have noticed something. As MiceChatters, we congregate where we feel comfortable. Life is the same way.

Since we only have the written word here, we better know what we are talking about, or we will be soon found out for faking it.

So basically, with me. What you see, is what you get.

• Say no to Assimilation

No. I am much prettier in person.

I think I am probably nicer in person. It is hard to interpret tone online so things get taken the wrong way.
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by tbminnie View Post
    No. I am much prettier in person.

I think I am probably nicer in person. It is hard to interpret tone online so things get taken the wrong way.

I agree..

I have to sit for a few minutes to think how about how can i phrase something without it being harsh.

But I think im nicer in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee (Farter Extraordinair) View Post
    Wow. If regular MiceChatters saw this thread they might think we are normal. Thanks Dan & Gina!

• Grumpy old man

It's as close to the real me as there is one. I don't really think I have a real self, just a set of a couple selves prepared for various situations. My parents know a different me then my close family does then my other family does then my friends do that the various internet sites I visit do.

Forums do let me communicate a lot better then I can in speech, as on a forum I can be long winded, think about what I'm going to say, go back and take things back, able to type words I'm not able to pronounce or gets muddled in my speech patterns.

On here I tend to hold back parts of me out of fear of revealing too much, as I learned the hard way. I've always been quite open on the internet about certain things, because its a good tool to hide behind while still expressing some true parts of myself. But I've slowly had to learn what is and isn't too much information, which is why I tend to hold things back now.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

I think so. What you see is basically what you get with me.

I can't think of any way that I have misrepresented myself or have been taken as something I am not.

In real life, I try to be a really nice and genuine person, but if someone does something mean to me- they go on my real "ignore list."

I think there are some people who come online to escape their life and take on new personalities just to have fun and let loose a bit. And while I see nothing wrong with that, here on MiceChat I have developed so many close friends and I wouldn't have been able to do that without being myself.
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Interesting question I haven't really though about.

I silly as this sounds, I'm a bit harsher in real life. When talking with someone, if a tone or joke is misinterpreted it can be corrected easily. In print that isn't always the case and it may be harder to mend broken feelings.

The thoughful, considerate part of me is the same in person as it is on MiceChat. Face to face I can be a bit rough, on MiceChat I'm jerk light.

Chad

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I'm much more myself in person. I don't feel like the real me comes out on the board because I feel stilted and I over-analyse everything I'm writing. Now in person, I do blurt out things that come out the wrong way (in a airhead type manner), but that's just me. I don't post much because I do feel uncomfortable, but in person, you can't shut me up

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

i think as a whole it's a weird thing to communicate online purely through text. There is no tone of voice or hand gestures or body language , i might say "nice trip report" but the tone of voice in my head might be more like " yeah... real nice trip report there dumb face.."

overall i like to portray myself online as i would in real life , i think i might be louder in real life though

My Maleficent tattoo

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

I am a little more sarcastic and much more fun in person. Unfortunately those traits don't come across well when using the typed word.

Other than that, I am who you read in the forum.

•   

Sense of humor and jokes can really go unnoticed here. It's happened to me many many times. I thought it was funny but not one other chatter did. Now if it were in person and you could hear it or get the timing of it, then it would be funny.
    I've also noticed that if you're not "known" or in the loop, some of what you say again goes unnoticed. I think in person that would be different.

One thing I know for sure is that I've killed threads dead in their tracks. I don't mean to, it just happens! I really hope that once I make it to a meet, I don't kill that vibe. I don't want to hear crickets chirping once I walk up......

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast