Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Remembering August 16, 1977

Don McLean, in his classic "American Pie", appropriately points to February 3, 1959 as "the day the music died". That's the day of the plane crash that took the lives of Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper.

But August 16, 1977 will always be remembered as the day that the King Of Rock and Roll died.

Thirty years ago today ( Thursday, August 16), I was working in Disneyland's Plaza Pavillion Central Kitchen. I was working in the "prep" area, getting pork tenderloin orders ready for later cooking.

It was a fairly normal, busy summertime Thursday afternoon. Someone across the table was slicing roast beef, and another was cutting and bagging pineaplle spears for the Tiki Juice Bar.

Our kitchen radio was tuned to KRTH 101, which in those days played a mix of then-top 40 tunes, and oldies. As I recall it was around 2:20 PM when they gave us the news....that Elvis had died.

If you ever saw the episode of MASH where Radar announced the death of Colonel Blake, the scene just after we got the word was similar to that. We all fell silent for a moment in disbelief, then without a word we went back to our work.

Finally, I finished my prep and put my work into the
    walk-in refrigerator. One of the other cooks finally spoke up and said..."the King has died, and all you can do is think about your pork?".

We all chuckled. But it was still a sad moment for all of us back then.

Remembrances or thoughts?

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Minion

Re: Remembering August 16, 1977

I was but a wee lad at the time but I remember it clearly because it was the first day I ever was at Disneyland.

My parents were driving my sister and I down for our first visit and when we arrived at the hotel in Anaheim, they had the special headlines out that he had died.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Banned User

While I am not a big Elvis fan, I do recall that day and the shock that I felt hearing he'd died. I was 16 and in high school. I still have the Arizona Republic from that day. My father had saved it.

• Minion

I was in high school (first year) and didn't care one way or the other. I became a HUGE Elvis fan in my 20's and one of the highlights of my recent trip to the US was spending the day at Graceland.
    Pics coming up!!

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• A Pirate's life for me!

I was 16 and enjoying the day on my boat.

I heard it on the radio while catching some sun on the beach.

I'll never forget that day...

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Heart Disneyland View Post
    While I am not a big Elvis fan, I do recall that day and the shock that I felt hearing he'd died. I was 16 and in high school. I still have the Arizona Republic from that day. My father had saved it.
    I still have the LA Times headline somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by tassie View Post
    I was in high school (first year) and didn't care one way or the other. I became a HUGE Elvis fan in my 20's and one of the highlights of my recent trip to the US was spending the day at Graceland.
    I certainly remember many of Elvis's earlier songs but I started to become a real fan with his 1968 Hawaii TV special.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    I was 16 and enjoying the day on my boat.

I heard it on the radio while catching some sun on the beach.

I'll never forget that day...
    Most of us who were old enough at the time won't forget it, either. But what do I know...I was worried about my pork at the time

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Wonderful World

I wasn't around back then, but it must of been shocking to many people. He was way to young to die.
    I'm back MiceChat

• Banned User

It's kind of ironic that a woman who came here(Memphis) to honor his death in fact died herself from the heat wave we've been experiencing.

I wasn't born until October of 1977 so I wasn't alive when he passed but I'm kind of a fan. I've been to Graceland only twice and it was nice to see a little bit of history.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I certainly remember many of Elvis's earlier songs but I started to become a real fan with his 1968 Hawaii TV special.
    The '68 comeback special wasn't in Hawaii. The "Aloha from Hawaii" concert special was on in I believe 1972 or 1973.

Anyhow, I was only 3 when Elvis died, but I remember that day. We were camping up north in Michigan. My mom is a HUGE Elvis fan (and I became a fan through her), so she was very upset when the report came on the news.

• WARNING!

I was 18, just out of high school and getting ready for college when he died. I never considered myself a huge fan, (hey, who cared about Elvis when we had Peter Frampton?), but he was so much a part of our culture.

We thought of him as immortal...

• Minion

[quote=draybook;2062352]It's kind of ironic that a woman who came here(Memphis) to honor his death in fact died herself from the heat wave we've been experiencing.[quote]

was this recently??

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I was 3 days old, I still joke to this day that I killed him.

I enjoy his music and the idea behind who he was, but he never fails to bring a smile to my face and shake in my booty when I listen to him.

• Disneyland Grandee

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    . . . but he never fails to bring a smile to my face and shake in my booty when I listen to him.
    Awww, the infectious Elvis effect . . .

RIP Elvis.
    ~~Jodi~~
    Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas.

• Disneyland Grandee

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    <snip> KRTH 101, which in those days played a mix of then-top 40 tunes, and oldies.
    *In the familiar singy voice*

Kaaay earrrrth 101!

Good times.
    ~~Jodi~~
    Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas.

I remember KRTH 101! I don't remember the day Elvis died, but we lost a great talent that day.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast