• Minion

Permit Confusion

I don't know why but i'm really confused about the steps to get my driving permit.
    Heres what iv been told, please correct me if any of this is wrong:
    Right now i'm taking drivers ed at www.driversed.com
    As soon as I pass the final test there, they mail me a certificate.
    When i'm exactly 15 and a half I bring that along with my parents, social security number and birth certificate/passport to the DMV. I take the written permit test there, and if i pass i am issued my permit.
    Now am i able to drive or do i need to take the 6 hour behind the wheel training now?
    What are the driving restrictions once I do have my permit?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: Permit Confusion

"If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Grumpy old man

I never did my permit test, as I waited until I was 18. Surprisingly, the DMV site is pretty helpful on these things. Here is the page on what you have to do to apply for your permit and what you need: http://dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#PERMINOR

Hope that helps, and good luck on the written test.

• Minion

Thanks for the links!

• A Pirate's life for me!

Good luck!

And happy motoring!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    Good luck!

And happy motoring!

Haha, thanks
    Every time i think about driving the autopia queue loop pops in my head...
    *beep beep* "Hey its Sparky"

• Wonderful World

Yea good luck. I'm taking the drivers test Saturday to get my license. I'm actually excited to take it, Ive been wanting my license for 3 years now.
    I'm back MiceChat

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Okay, you've just gotten your minty-fresh learner's permit - Now what do you do? Please do me a favor - DON'T think you're an instant expert. It takes a good 100,000 miles of safe driving to get to Expert class.

(I'm at roughly 1 Million, give or take 50K, and I can count the small collisions on one hand with fingers left over. And no biggies.)

First off,remember this is NOT the Autopia, it's Real Life - the prizes (lower insurance rates) are issued for NOT hitting any other cars for long periods, and actively avoiding being in the way of the ones that really don't care if they hit someone.

They instituted the Graduated Driver's License program for a reason, too many new drivers getting into big crashes. I won't say they were 'accidents' because they happened after the driver exceeded their skill level on purpose, nothing accidental about that.

Stay cautious for at least a year, and don't slip into that mindset of "Hey, I can do anything!" Those are the kids they have to peel out of the car with the "Jaws" Hurst Tool. Just had one a while back in Thousand Oaks, three teens dead and one seriously injured - they borrowed daddy's hot S600 Mercedes with the big V8, and violated every one of the license restrictions...

The driver romped on the gas too hard, lit up the back tires and got sideways in a curve at speed - and didn't have the skills to recover from the skid...

If it's a choice between hitting a steel streetlight pole, a wooden power pole, or a big oak tree, trust me: pick the streetlight every time. The streetlight pole is designed to give way, the power pole might give (but don't bet on it), but the oak tree you can't get your arms around the trunk? That tree ain't moving an inch, it will be there for a long time.

Go rent a Go-Kart for an extended track period, or a Quad in a dirt lot and practice drifting and skid recovery, and discover how vehicle dynamics affects the handling. Get sideways on purpose, then get it back into line. You soon learn when you're at the limits of grip for the surface.

You have great grip going through a turn at a steady state, but throw in a bump and unload the suspension, and it all goes away - your job is to get it back.

Practice hard braking without triggering ABS - you can do the anti-locking yourself if you learn to back off the brake pressure manually to retain control. If the wheels lock, you lose directional control.

For road driving experience, find the best drivers among your friends and family, and get them to go out with you - Mom may be always available, but if she's the kind that is afraid to go on the freeway she is NOT the one you want out there.

You need to always have your head on a swivel - know what's going on at least a block ahead on surface streets, 1/4 mile on the freeway. Learn to instinctively know whether there is a car on either side, and if it's a clear space to swerve into.

Learn how to spot the cars that can be trouble. HINT: If one side of a car on the highway is all torn up, that's a sign you do NOT want to hang out on that side. The Little Voice In My Head says "Rolling Wreck: You don't want to be here" and I back off... and they pull a snap lane change without looking, right into the space where I was 30 seconds ago.

Watch your mirrors - Know what's behind you, so you don't run over that motorcycle splitting lanes coming up fast. Or the police car or ambulance. Or just Mr. HotRod cutting around traffic in a big hurry - you'll go to make a lane change and find him in the same place, and the other guy will try and make it all your fault.

And watch your gauges. At least every 30 seconds, take a look down. There's no excuse for running out of gas or overheating, the car will give you lots of warning if you pay attention.

Okay, enough blathering for today.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• GO DBACKS!!

..........And no text messaging while driving.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Okay, you've just gotten your minty-fresh learner's permit - Now what do you do? Please do me a favor - DON'T think you're an instant expert. It takes a good 100,000 miles of safe driving to get to Expert class.

(I'm at roughly 1 Million, give or take 50K, and I can count the small collisions on one hand with fingers left over. And no biggies.)

First off,remember this is NOT the Autopia, it's Real Life - the prizes (lower insurance rates) are issued for NOT hitting any other cars for long periods, and actively avoiding being in the way of the ones that really don't care if they hit someone.

They instituted the Graduated Driver's License program for a reason, too many new drivers getting into big crashes. I won't say they were 'accidents' because they happened after the driver exceeded their skill level on purpose, nothing accidental about that.

Stay cautious for at least a year, and don't slip into that mindset of "Hey, I can do anything!" Those are the kids they have to peel out of the car with the "Jaws" Hurst Tool. Just had one a while back in Thousand Oaks, three teens dead and one seriously injured - they borrowed daddy's hot S600 Mercedes with the big V8, and violated every one of the license restrictions...

The driver romped on the gas too hard, lit up the back tires and got sideways in a curve at speed - and didn't have the skills to recover from the skid...

If it's a choice between hitting a steel streetlight pole, a wooden power pole, or a big oak tree, trust me: pick the streetlight every time. The streetlight pole is designed to give way, the power pole might give (but don't bet on it), but the oak tree you can't get your arms around the trunk? That tree ain't moving an inch, it will be there for a long time.

Go rent a Go-Kart for an extended track period, or a Quad in a dirt lot and practice drifting and skid recovery, and discover how vehicle dynamics affects the handling. Get sideways on purpose, then get it back into line. You soon learn when you're at the limits of grip for the surface.

You have great grip going through a turn at a steady state, but throw in a bump and unload the suspension, and it all goes away - your job is to get it back.

Practice hard braking without triggering ABS - you can do the anti-locking yourself if you learn to back off the brake pressure manually to retain control. If the wheels lock, you lose directional control.

For road driving experience, find the best drivers among your friends and family, and get them to go out with you - Mom may be always available, but if she's the kind that is afraid to go on the freeway she is NOT the one you want out there.

You need to always have your head on a swivel - know what's going on at least a block ahead on surface streets, 1/4 mile on the freeway. Learn to instinctively know whether there is a car on either side, and if it's a clear space to swerve into.

Learn how to spot the cars that can be trouble. HINT: If one side of a car on the highway is all torn up, that's a sign you do NOT want to hang out on that side. The Little Voice In My Head says "Rolling Wreck: You don't want to be here" and I back off... and they pull a snap lane change without looking, right into the space where I was 30 seconds ago.

Watch your mirrors - Know what's behind you, so you don't run over that motorcycle splitting lanes coming up fast. Or the police car or ambulance. Or just Mr. HotRod cutting around traffic in a big hurry - you'll go to make a lane change and find him in the same place, and the other guy will try and make it all your fault.

And watch your gauges. At least every 30 seconds, take a look down. There's no excuse for running out of gas or overheating, the car will give you lots of warning if you pay attention.

Okay, enough blathering for today.

--<< Bruce >>--
    :O
    Thank you so much for that, i'll definitly keep it all in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Earkid View Post
    ..........And no text messaging while driving.
    Of Course :P

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

With all due respect Bruce, I don't think there is any such think as an Expert Driver. A good driver, Yes, an expert driver, No. I've seen my share of idiots on the road who have been driving much longer than I have. I have seen them make illegal U-Turns, run reds, fail to use their turn signals even when merging into other lanes, etc.

Bigfoot's more real than an expert driver basically.

Plus, we shouldn't stay cautious for just one year, we need to stay cautious all the time. If we fail to stay cautious, that is when accidents happen. We always have to be cautious about the drivers around us because they might just be oblivious idiots. Driving is never to be taken lightly.

But other than that, I think your post was very insightful and accurate. The advice is very true and should be taken seriously.

Pv, also do your best not to drive in bad weather. If it is pouring rain, be sure to drive at a very safe, somewhat slow, & calm speed. You do not want to hydroplane. If you hydroplane, remain calm and let go of the gas. If you know your car is about to hydroplane, avoid puddles of water in the road and don't turn your wheel (You'll have no control over your steering anyway). Many people hydroplane when they are making turns during a severe storm. That is what happened to me weeks ago.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Wow. I took driver's ed the summer I turned 16. I had my permit (which I got right when I passed driver's ed) for maybe 6 months, then got my license.