• Mexihick, y'all

Cats and Dogs living in sin

Ok, I need help. This will be long, but please bare with me.

I have a cat, I have had her for almost 10 years. She's a picky young thing...tiny, nimble and quiet. She hates everyone. Except me. She would only come out if I were home.

Now we have a dog. We have had him for almost two years. She now stays under the bed 24/7. Doesn't come out for me anymore. She isn't scared of him, she just hates him.

We are moving next door. Literally.

I was thinking that after we get settled I would get a very young kitten, in the hopes of making my meow happier. And so that a young cat could grow up with Atticus (b/c he's so young and LOVES my cat, but she hate him).

So, what are your thoughts? Do you think a cat of that age could learn to love a new kitten? And if so, how do I go about introducing them?

Any and ALL thoughts are greatly appreciated. Wolfy told me to come ask you guys, since there was a dog in the equation.

• Purple Crates ♥

Re: Cats and Dogs living in sin

In things like that it all depends on the animal in question. Generally I would think it be good to start with a kitten, and slowly introduce them. Slowly, meaning having them in separate places for a while, then bringing the kitten by the other animals for short periods of time, letting the other animals sniff it, allthewhile giving praise and/or treats to the other animals. Should be fine after a while.

• Mexihick, y'all

Quote Originally Posted by cyre View Post
    In things like that it all depends on the animal in question. Generally I would think it be good to start with a kitten, and slowly introduce them.

That's what makes it so darn hard! My meow USED to love other cats until my moms cat attacked her, but that was about 6 years ago. She hasn't seen another cat since then.

My pooch just loves everything he can get his paws on.

I really have nothing but hopes of making my kitty a bit happier in the surroundings she is in.

• Do You know?

My sister tried to do the same thing. The dog and the new cat (Winston) are the best of friends. The older cat (Jane) hates Winston and the dog. So, you never know. Good Luck.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Okay, migo. I have a similar fur-family, so I will throw in my 2 cents.

I have 2 older cats. Started with a year and half old cat. Thought he needed a pal so got a kitten. Older cat was actually pretty happy about it and really wanted to play with kitten. But older cat played/plays ROUGH and kitten became terrified of older cat (I couldn't be around 24/7 to protect kitten - besides older cat never hurt kitten, just scared the begeezus outta him.) Vet said they would work it out. Fast forward 8 years to now. "Kitten" is now 18 pounds and the biggest chicken-cat you will ever meet. The 2 cats are not best buds but they tolerate each other - oldest cat STILL wants to play rough!

Enter big dog and NEW kitten. Both older cats have learned to tolerate the dog, of which I am very surprised. New kitten came after Dog and Kitten and Dog are best friends. Kitten LOVES her Dog. New Kitten and older cat like each other, but Chicken-Cat is still afraid of all of them and just wants them all to leave him alone!

So if your dog wants to be friends with the cat, I think he will love a new kitten. But it sounds like your cat would just like everyone but you to go away, so she would probably not care for the new kitten.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Just be prepared for a lot of growling and hissing from your big girl for a couple weeks. My almost 7 year old guy is still dealing with some jealousy issues almost 3 months since I brought my new kitty home.

• Banned User

I can tell you one thing.... I had a cat.... every animal I got pushed my Daisy farther and farther away. then one day she left me, moved to the barn and only came to the door to eat. It seemed she was very jelous and decided she was not important. She was very strange. When I moved I tried to get her out and she refused. I had to leave her with the new tenants ( they were ok with it because she was already used to the land)
    She was once my baby girl, but when the next cat came she just never was the same. some animals can deal well with new pets, some never get over it. I would not get another kitty.

I knew my cat JT would tolerate another cat because when he was a year old, I had a roommate that had 2 cats. But now he's almost 7 and has been ruler of the roost for the last 5 years. So then almost 3 months ago, I brought in Chandler, who was 8 weeks old at the time. For the first week, JT spent a lot of time hiding under the bed (until I sealed it off) and in "his" chair in the computer room. Lots of growling and hissing ensued as well but I made sure I gave him lots of attention to let him know I still loved him. After a few weeks, JT started coming around and started letting Chandler get close and they'd sniff at each other. JT is very gentle and extremely tolerant. He's never lashed out at Chandler unless he's trying to play too rough with JT. Since Chandler is a kitten, he thinks everything is a toy/game. JT puts up with it to a point, then just walks away as if to say, "Get away from me!"

Then last week I took Chandler to the vet to be de-clawed. He was gone for 2 days and JT was once again "king of everything from the doorknob down". I brought Chandler home and the growling/hissing started up again for a few days. He was just getting over it again when yesterday, Chandler licked his paw too much and got one of his toes bleeding. So I had to take him back to the vet and they kept him overnight. I can bring him home today. Poor JT is gonna have another hissy fit, but I know he'll get over it in a few days.

It all depends on your cat's personality. If you know from past experience they'll tolerate another animal, then go for it. But if you know they won't want to deal with it, then I wouldn't do it. Cats are extremely picky and they hate change of any kind (I've moved twice since I got JT and both times he hid under the bed for a week after moving before he decided to check the place out).

• Mexihick, y'all

Thanks for all the suggestions/opinions. It's a very hard situation for me, b/c I hate seeing my girl hiding 24/7. Last night we were in the house, and left the dog next door, and she was IN MY GRILL. I mean, all over me, rubbing faces, rubbing against my toes, doing whatever she could. Went over again this morning, and she came out immediately to see me.

But the minute the dog comes in tomorrow/tonight, back under the bed/behind the couch she will go.

I think what I'll do is give it a few months, see how she adjusts to the new digs. The dog will be kept in the front room during the day with a baby gate keeping him out of the main house, so maybe she'll sit by the gate and "give him hell".

I love my cat with all my heart, and I don't want her to be hurt or feel I don't love her. But I also want her to be happy.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I always find it amazing how every cat has their own personality.

Having 3 cats of my own I can interject here migo.

When we brought in Oliver as a kitten the other two did the usual hiss and moan at him. I think because the older cats were ladies, they kind of laid down the law with him at an early age.

All that moaning and groaning finally settled down. Now Oliver has his moments of granduer and attacks the other two cats sometimes but always in a playful way.

It all goes back to the personality of your cat and/or dog and if you think they can handle bringing in a new pet.

I think the majority of the time it works but there are those moments, like Karla's story, that it backfires a bit.

Either way, I hope you do at least try and its successful, please keep us updated!

• Man O Lantern

We tried it for a year, the mixing of the cats. Didn't work out well, and ultimately, we had to choose. We chose our older cat, Lassie.

She and young Vader just couldn't get along and we were MISERABLE for a year.

Now she's even older and fairly assertive, and we're looking into getting a dog when we move. Ugh. Here we go again. I kinda hope she gives the dog hell.

I wish I had some sort of answer for you--I've definitely been there. But I wussed out.

And I'll be there again soon!!

Good luck with the move, migo!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Just be prepared for a lot of growling and hissing from your big girl for a couple weeks. My almost 7 year old guy is still dealing with some jealousy issues almost 3 months since I brought my new kitty home.
    Jealousy issues was my immediate thought on bringing new pets into your home.

Did you talk to your vet? He or she may give you the best answer.

Good luck.

• Mexihick, y'all

Good calls/calls. Thanks. I had written a really long response earlier, but the MiceChat Gods ate it. Blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    Jealousy issues was my immediate thought on bringing new pets into your home.

Did you talk to your vet? He or she may give you the best answer.

Good luck.
    Oh JT gets over it and he knows I still love him and he's still the Big Kahuna. But he's always had a bit of an "aloof" personality. He hates being held and is not a lap cat. He does have his affectionate moments though. Chandler, on the other hand, is very affectionate all the time and will sit in my lap within 10 seconds of me sitting down.

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

Migo, moving is a HUGE deal to inside kitties. It took months for mine to calm down both times I moved. Give yourselves some time for adjustment and be sure to spend some time just with her, maybe dog could stay in the yard or another room for a bit. If worse comes to worse, talk to your vet. She may need something for anxiety. We had to put Molly on kitty prozac a few months after our last move. I hope it gets better for ya'll.
    A bit of evil lurks in your heart, but you hide it well.
    In some ways, you are the most dangerous kind of evil.