Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start?

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Where to start?

So I have finally come to the painful decision that I need a new job. I've been in my field for 11 years, and I'm as good at it as I'm ever going to get, but my job makes me desperately unhappy.

Coming to this decision was not easy, but once I had reached this conclusion, I brushed off and fixed up my resume a bit.

Now the hard part: How do you go about looking for a job outside of the only field you've ever worked at as an adult? What's my next step? I'm truly clueless on this one, and the longer I stay at my current job the more stagnant and frustrated I feel.
    Last edited by sunnygirl; 08-20-2007 at 06:02 PM.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Re: Where to start?

I think you start looking at your job, but for other companies, to get a sense of what you are "worth" as far as salary. (You're priceless to me, babe.) And then you start branching out to see what other jobs your skill set fits into. And you sell yourself to everyone you talk to, just in case they know someone who knows someone who needs YOU!
    A signature should go here.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Congratulations Jen! This is a huge step for you and as scary as it may be, you will never regret your decision to change your career.

I wanted out of the industry I was in so I ended up working with an agency. They were able to send me on a few different interviews before settling on the job I am at now.

You should also show your resume to I-Jen since she works in the whole job fair industry. The help she was able to give me with my resume' had so much to do with getting placed.

the biggest thing is getting over the feeling of not being prepared to do something else. I was completely surprised to see how qualified I was to do other things once I got out there.

I wish you all the luck with looking for a new job!!
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

^^^What he said!
    A signature should go here.

• For old time sake

Ditto what John said. I think you will be fabulous at any job. Ask yourself what you like to do. working with people, not working with people. Customer service, payroll, etc etc.

Wishing you lots of luck sweetie.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Are you looking to change what you do completely, the industry you were in or the company you are doing it for?
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Jen, you are a strong woman. You've made the decision, you've started down the path and you are totally in control.

John's right, get with IJiz. She's got the skills to help you market yourself.

You've succeeded in your job, list the skills that you've mastered that helped you succeed in your current job. Then make sure you identify which you like and which you don't. I'm sure you find that you'll have many skills that are marketable in many industries, you just need to make sure to ditch the ones that are causing you stress.

And do some thinking on things you might like to try. You mentioned data entry. If you're truly interested in that, there is probably some easy training courses you can look into that will help you get up to speed.

Change is scary and you'll have to battle a lot of fear. Just never forget you are doing this to make your life happier and stress free. You've got a great support system to help you succeed. I have no doubt that you'll find something that will improve your life significantly

• That Guy

I say don't look for a job, let's get you set up with a kick azz career.

I reccomend you get hooked up with a career advisor. Most community colleges have them.

The cool thing is, if you can think of it, you can do it. I would rather have you shoot for the moon, rather than get another random job.

What is it you REALLY like doing? If you do something you love, you'll never work a day in your life.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
    Are you looking to change what you do completely, the industry you were in or the company you are doing it for?
    I'm looking to change what I do completely. I do like the office environment, but I'm tired of working with the public. It's time for a change definitely.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Making the decision to change careers is the first, ans scariest step. Make a list of the job skills that you think are valuable and marketable in most jobs. You'll be surprised at how much talent you have that can be used in a lot of other careers. Have someone (IJiz is a good person) to help you update your resume to stress these skills.

John is right, make appointments with agencies, headhunters, temp agencies...they will be your biggest "in" to a new job. Good luck sunnyg...any company would be lucky to have you!

• My cuties!

I have complete faith that you will do wonderfully wherever you end up. You've proven you're bulletproof/golden at this job!
    Last edited by twinmom; 08-20-2007 at 08:44 PM.

• That Guy

SunnyG,

Here is an online career quiz, you can take it and see what it tells you:

http://www.careerpath.com/?utm_sourc...=Text_Link_FCA

• That Guy

This may be a better resource, it has more in depth info:

http://careerplanning.about.com/od/e...a/occ_quiz.htm

• That Guy

So what career do you like? Let's forget about jobs and talk careers.

Is there something that you have always wanted to do? Are you able to take classes if need be, while you work at your current job, so you can bail out and get your career going? Or are you wanting to get the heck out of there right now?

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by MTNGIRL View Post
    Jen, you are a strong woman. You've made the decision, you've started down the path and you are totally in control.

John's right, get with IJiz. She's got the skills to help you market yourself.

You've succeeded in your job, list the skills that you've mastered that helped you succeed in your current job. Then make sure you identify which you like and which you don't. I'm sure you find that you'll have many skills that are marketable in many industries, you just need to make sure to ditch the ones that are causing you stress.

And do some thinking on things you might like to try. You mentioned data entry. If you're truly interested in that, there is probably some easy training courses you can look into that will help you get up to speed.

Change is scary and you'll have to battle a lot of fear. Just never forget you are doing this to make your life happier and stress free. You've got a great support system to help you succeed. I have no doubt that you'll find something that will improve your life significantly

First,I ditto what MTNGIRL suggests. Change is scary but it can be good if you allow it. And most importantly you have to happy in your career change.

Second-It's good to talk to people that have experience in the field you are interested in. Get as much information as you can through, internet, colleges, companies, newspapers etc.

And finally- I wish you the best of luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast