Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Now It's Time Not For "HSM" but "HSFB" - the "Friday Night Lights" Thread!

Beach Boys intro...

"When some loud braggard tries to put me down
    and says his school is great
    I tell him right away
    Well what's the matter buddy ain't you heard of my school
    It's number one in the state..."

So be true to your school...

Well, we're not talking High School Musical here ... how about talking...High School Football.

After we'd had at least some success with other sports-related threads, I thought I'd give folks a shot to talk up their love for those games played under (like the book, movie and NBC-TV series says) the "Friday Night Lights".

Anything at all about high school football is welcome here. Memories, shouts out for your team, do you go to at least some games like I do even if you don't have a kid, just cause you love the emotion and competition?

I live in west Ventura County, and it look like St. Bonaventure will be powerful again this year...

"On Friday we'll be jacked up for the football game and I'll be ready to fight...we're gonna smash em now....my girl will be workin on her pom poms now and she'll be yellin' tonight...

So Be True to Your School now...just like you would to your girl or guy....be true to your school now...and let your colors fly..."

--Barry

Garden Grove HS 1974
    GO ARGOS
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Now It's Time Not For "HSM" but "HSFB" - the "Friday Night Lights" Thread!

bump
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

High School football doesn't kick off until next weekend here in Georgia. I am planning to go see a game played by my alma mater this season, probably Homecoming. It's been 5 years since I graduated and I have not been back to the "Big Orange Jungle" as we Parkview people call it.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

The "EC" in my name stands for Eatonville Cruisers. The Cruisers kick off September 1st at Seahawks Stadium (Qwest Field)! Go Cruisers!

Class of '04!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

One of local smaller school teams, the St. Bonaventure Seraphs out of Ventura, has been dominant for many years...and their games will be carried on a local radio station this year.

I know that high school football games on radio are legendary in many parts of the country, but in greater Southern California they're much more rare...so many schools, I guess.

--Barry

• Just your average Joe.

Blog Entries

Football starts this Friday here in Pflugerville Texas (The original filming location for Friday Night Lights (the TV show). All the uniforms, the stadium, etc in the show are all the exact ones for PHS.)

• Circle of Ancients

Barry,

You brought back so many memories of my high school days. Since, I was cheerleader for my high school team, I never missed a game. Our mascot was and is the Raiders. Great mascot name, I think.

The last time I went back to my Alma Mater must have been 15 years ago.

I have been to a couple of my daughters football games. So, much fun! And I am not quite sure when the first football game will happen this year. Probably this week.

I think Homecoming football games are the best. Lots of crowds and cheering. And you get to see who will be the next King and Queen for your high school.

I miss those days.

• Colorful

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    One of local smaller school teams, the St. Bonaventure Seraphs out of Ventura, has been dominant for many years...and their games will be carried on a local radio station this year.

I know that high school football games on radio are legendary in many parts of the country, but in greater Southern California they're much more rare...so many schools, I guess.

--Barry
    We used to have a local station that covered the County I live in, Gwinnett which has become somewhat dominant in football over the past decade. The station would carry a game-of-the-week. As my alma mater has won 4 State Titles since I was a freshman so they would cover Parkview a few times each season. The station was an Oldies/Full-service. The family that owned the station for many years wanted out and they sold it to a comapny that tuend it into a Hispanic station. Therefore there is pretty much no High school football on the radio withint radio's scope on a Friday night during th fall. Such a shame but that's the radio business for ya.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

At Ventura's Larabee Stadium Friday night, in a battle of perennial state powers. St. Bonaventure ran past Canyon High in a tough 28-17 battle. Their games, by the way, can be heard on Ventura's 1520 AM KVTA, or here on the web at kvta.com. Internet radio, or at least streaming of "terrestrial" signals may give high school sports a boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    At Ventura's Larabee Stadium Friday night, in a battle of perennial state powers. St. Bonaventure ran past Canyon High in a tough 28-17 battle. Their games, by the way, can be heard on Ventura's 1520 AM KVTA, or here on the web at kvta.com. Internet radio, or at least streaming of "terrestrial" signals may give high school sports a boost.
    I heard it was a great game. I was thinking about going to the Buena vs. Channel Islands game - I go to Buena - but Channel Islands sucks soooo, I didn't go. But if Buena plays a better team at home next week I'll go for sure.

Larabee Stadium/Turner Field! People always seem to forget about the Eric Turner part of the name, even though he was a great NFL player.

Also, Barry, do you remember Tyler Ebel? He went to Ventura High, played at UCLA, switched to UTEP, and I think he's now playing in the Canadian Football League. Just interesting to me. He was/is a jerk.

• Banned User

it's funny how saturdays in the fall we get all sorts of college football but to me the best and worst has to be high school. my high school dominated their football conference for years when i was growing up and while i attended and at least in iowa when fall came everything stopped on friday nights for football. and even in florida it seems that way now, when my kids were in high school, the entire tampa bay region put everything on hold and rooted for their favorite teams. I don't follow it much anymore because both my kids have graduated and are either in college or just finished but those years as a rooting parent were lots of fun.

And just to point this out, the St. Bonaventure (my mom's school) high school football team is ranked #11 in the nation by ESPN.

• Colorful

This week is a biggie here in Georgia. The series has lost some of its luster the past few years but the Parkview-Brookwood game is going to be another giant game again between the Panthers and the Broncos. The game used to be played early in the season when both teams were in separate divisions. Since the regions were realigned a few years back and both powers were put in a region with no divisions the game is now the final one of the regular season. This year the game will be played at Parkview's "Big Orange Jungle" There will be over 10,000 paid in attendance with others standing on cars in the parking lot just to get a peek at one of the most heated rivalries in the state of Georgia. At its peak this game was played twice several times as the regular season matchup was not enough and both teams matched up in the playoffs as well (one year for the state title!). Speaking of titles, the 1997 State champ Panthers (I was a freshman at the school) will be honored before the game. Our only blemish that year was a loss to Brookwood (The year prior Brookwood's only blemish on their way to the Title was a Parkview loss).

It'll be a biggie down in Lilburn, GA for sure. I won't be there but I sure will be breaking out my orange Parkview sweater on Friday (it'll be a chilly one).

• Hiding in the shadows

Friday Night 11/2 in Santa Clarita Saugus beat Canyon 18-14. Remember Canyon High won the CA state championship last year (and then lost their long time coach). This Friday 11/9 Saugus will actually play Hart for Foothill league champs (yes thats right, Saugus...BTW they usually stink).

Its a weird football season all around this year. A major change in the tides!

A little piece of heaven

• Colorful

Quote Originally Posted by MollyTrolly View Post
    Friday Night 11/2 in Santa Clarita Saugus beat Canyon 18-14. Remember Canyon High won the CA state championship last year (and then lost their long time coach). This Friday 11/9 Saugus will actually play Hart for Foothill league champs (yes thats right, Saugus...BTW they usually stink).

Its a weird football season all around this year. A major change in the tides!
    Didn't Canyon win all those games n a row?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast