Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

Re: Simple things your folks did when you were a kid, that you remember to this day

My Grandma on my Dad's side had this special cabinet in her kitchen that always had bread, peanut butter and marshmallow fluff in it so that we could make fluffernutters. And their basement was usually empty, but she had all these cool ride-on toys that we could go down there and ride around on. I loved that and I can still smell the basement.

My other Grandma used to always sing us Hawaiian songs and she always kept boxes of comic books in her closet. Everytime we'd visit, I'd hang out in there reading Archie comics. I remember when I turned 13, I got to fly down to Orlando by myself and stay for a week. We went to WDW, just me and Grandma. The things I remember about that most are getting sick right in the middle of the sidewalk before walking out of the gates and her not knowing how to turn off the high beams on the drive home. Oh, and also when she picked me up, she couldn't remember where she parked so we walked around the parking garage for almost an hour, dragging my suitcase.

My parents did so many things. We always, always had dinner together at the table at 6pm. No TV, radio, phone, etc. My Dad was always very hands on, from the very beginning. He was always the only parent outside on the playground, spinning the merry-go-round so fast that kids were flying off, pushing us on the swings, playing hide and seek around dusk. With all of the kids, not just my brother and I. He's so awesome. Later, we got into board games and he'd cheat so badly. We always caught him and games often ended early because we couldn't control our fits of giggles. I find it sad that the only thing I can think of from my Mom is that she made us get up to clean every Saturday morning. We had to clean from 8 - 12, when things were always already clean, every Saturday.

We went on road trips nearly every summer to visit family. We'd drive from wherever we were stationed at the time and stop in TN to see my Aunt, then onto FL to see my Grandparents, then up to VA to see my other Aunt's and then to MA to see my Dad's family. We didn't do all of them every single summer, but at least one. We went to Walt Disney World every time we visited my Grandparents and that's where I got my love of Disney from. But, the road trips on the way were usually fun, too. Nothing like hours and hours in the car! And while living in Germany, we traveled to so many different places and got to see so many things. All as a family.

So many memories!

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Re: Simple things your folks did when you were a kid, that you remember to this day

This isnt about me, but I remember it so Ill share.
    My kids dads mom (got that?) used to make him pb&j sandwiches for lunch and would always put a heart in his peanut butter. He told me about it when we first moved in together and how he would always check if the heart was there. That started me doing it and now when I make sandwiches for my kids, I do it too.
    I know their step mom draws them pictures on the lunch bags if they have to brown bag it and they love it.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• is on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    I think of some of the strangest things when I'm lying in bed trying to fall asleep.

My mom used to make pudding occasionally, and instead of putting the pudding (hee hee) into plain bowls she's portion them into these fancy glass bowls she had. I remember those bowls and can still feel them in my hand, as they had these "balls" of glass (for lack of a better term) on the bottom of them. It made a basic dessert something special.
    My mom would do something similar when she'd make jello or custard. Usually, the jello would just go in a tupperware container or the custard would be baked in a regular pie plate. But she had these little single serving molds with a swirly design that she'd occasionally use to mold the jello or bake the custards in. She'd unmold it onto a dessert plate and serve it to me, just like a restaurant dessert. If I was really good, she would even put some whipped cream on it.

She also remembered how much I loved the Mickey Mouse pancakes I had at Disneyland once on a birthday trip, so occasionally, I'd get a Mickey Mouse pancake for Saturday morning breakfast. Mickey had maraschino cherry eyes, a raisin nose, and half a canned pineapple slice for a smile.

I didn't see my dad much during the week when I was growing up because he worked swing shift, but weekends were our bonding time. I'd ask him if we could go to the park to ride bikes or fly kites, and he'd always take me. I got my love of thrill rides from my dad. Every year, we'd go to the L.A. County Fair and dad would go on rides with me, while mom held our stuff. Every year, I'd eagerly await our trip to the fair and Disneyland.
    She did it!

• For You!

This is a great thread - Thanks Onut! Everybody's stories are just putting a big smile on my face!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Clearing my Calendar

The first few years I was in grade school, my mom and I would make presents for my classmates at Valentine's Day to go with the cards. Make it more personal. It was always so much fun to sit and do something with my mom, even if I was more of a hindrance with the way I snacked! Using life savers, smarties and Big Red (had to have Big Red!) chewing gum, we made these:

When I was four to seven years old, my Dad and I had a game we'd play when he came home late from work. I liked to guess which tie he wore to work that day. Once or twice, he'd come home wearing three ties just to throw me off!

My maternal grandmother always made sure she had Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies and Dr. Pepper when I came to visit for the two or so weeks in the Summer.

My maternal grandfather let me hang out in his garage with him and draw chalk towns on his floor. After a while, he started buying me Hot Wheels cars and crafted buildings out of spare blocks of wood and paint. My favorite toy car is the one that looked exactly like his truck. He went through a red truck and a black one. I had both.

The same grandfather also made a tradition of, whenever I left their house, he'd set me on the branch of a tree right next to the sidewalk. Over the years, the more I grew, and from constant use, the tree's branch sagged. Last time I saw it, it sags just enough for a small child's rear end to fit nice and snug.

My paternal grandfather let me help him pick the Muscadine grapes from the vines in their backyard and help in their large garden every summer. Pulling weeds is never as much fun as when you're a kid!

Finally, my paternal grandmother had this Rocky & Bullwinkle glass with which she would serve my milk at dinner I only ever used that glass - she always made sure of that! And she'd let me pour extra sugar on my cereal on Sundays.
    Last edited by TraceCub; 08-27-2007 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Edit: I can't believe I ended a sentence with the word "with".
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

My dad used to take me to the bookstore and buy me a book and some beef jerky. This would serve to occupy me for entire weekends at a time.

Sometimes my mom would take me out to lunch or breakfast (and leave my brother and sister at home.) This was great, I loved the one on one time with her, it made me feel so special.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Wow, where to start?

My dad used to work for Orowheat bread for awhile, and if I was home when he'd come home for lunch, he would drive me around the block in his truck and it was so cool because it had no door and no passenger seat, so I'd have to stand up in back with the bread. How crazy- no seat?!? No door?!? I remember my dad introducing me to mini-golf and then wanting to go back all the time. I was fascinated with that blue water! Sometimes we'd go down to Balboa Island and ride the ferry and then get an Orange Julius.

My mom worked in the art department at a newspaper, so sometimes I'd have to take a sick day off from school- sick enough to stay home, but not so sick that I needed to go to grandma's, a very fine line - and I would get to go in with her. I was so in awe of all the art supplies. Markers in all colors and sizes, and these grownups just got to sit around and draw stuff, or so I thought anyway, and they shared with me! Also, upstairs in the cafeteria were a bunch of vending machines and I remember buying a softball-sized peach one day. We would also go in on the weekends sometimes and use the darkroom, so that was weird to be there when the place was closed. She let us eat breakfast for dinner. My mom made all of my Halloween costumes, prom dresses, and my wedding dress. Now she makes my son's costumes, too.

My grandparents had a huge garden in their backyard. Huge! We'd go out and pick our veggies for dinner- corn, green beans, tomatoes. I can remember helping to can tomatoes and peaches with my mom and grandma. Oh, and my grandma always made fruitcake at Christmas and I always helped because I thought the candied cherries looked neato! When my grandma made popcorn, she would always overfill the pan and let the lid pop off...and she was always surprised by it, for us kids. This grandma is the one who got me hooked on Disneyland. My grandpa made us treasure maps that led us to our Easter baskets. He let us pound nails in the backyard and we used to argue for turns to smash their aluminum cans! Here kids, have a hammer and some nails, and oh here's a sledge hammer, too, have fun!

My other grandma took me to to get my ears pierced when I was 7. She used to pay me to come over and dust at her house, so I'd have extra pocket money. And afterwards, we would have Taco Bell, her favorite. We would have a huge cookie exchange party at her house every Christmas. (And you know me and my other grandma were bringing fruitcake!) She rented a house at Lake Arrowhead and everyone would go for a week each summer. My grandpa was quiet, and was always in his workshop, but we were welcome to come hang out with him. He made amazing wooden toys and I still have 2 of his cars.
    We had Sunday dinner at their house EVERY week, even if we just had cold-cut sandwiches.

I could keep on posting....but I'll let someone else take a turn. Great thread idea, Onut!
    A signature should go here.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I love that so many of us had special pudding bowls. That CRACKS me up!

• For old time sake

This is going to sound really really lame but one of the things I miss and remember about my dad is that every year on Christmas, he would put and orange in our stockings. the first Christmas we had without him I cried because I missed that orange. Lame? Yeah, but it was something he always did. It was his dad-ism.

On Saturdays dad insisted we all eat lunch together as a family. Talk about a hassle when you were a kid, because you'd rather hang with your friends. Lunch usually ended with all of us playing 7-card no peek, 5-card stud and a myrad of other poker games, including 21. I knew how to play it at age 8.

watching movies like Lassie, or Old Yeller and crying my eyes out on my dad's shoulder when it was over. My dad was totally sensitive to my sister and I when it came to us being pretty emotional. he never made us feel bad for crying. He actually used to tease us if a chick flick got to us, but it was in a cute way. He nicked named us both "rubber face". (Sometimes I'll call my sister on the nights Extreme makeover: Home edition is on and say "Hi can i speak to rubber face please" because I know she's crying along with me).

the time I fell at my sisters apt and scraped my knee up and my dad let me skip school to go to an Angel's opening day.

I was embarrassed by it at the time, but anytime I had a choir concert, I'd look out into the auditorium and see my dad with this big grin on his face and he'd wave to me. I'd blush not wanting anyone to know it was my dad...but looking back, that made me feel special.

when we would go out to dinner on weekends, my dad would always hold the door open for my sister and I at restaurants.

She's not my mother in law anymore, but my ex's mom used to make our favorite dinner on our bday and we'd get to eat on this red plate that said "You are special today." Mr. Dkat and I have a plate like that and we plan to use it on special occasions in our family as well.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

•   

When I was little we had a really big swing set in our backyard. My Dad used to stand us right in front of it and swing and catch us in between his legs and just swing away. It was so fun!
    I remember when my Dad would come home from work we would get so excited!! One time I hid from him and he knew I was in the closet. He was pretending to look for me and when he opened the door I yelled and I actually scared him. I felt so bad. I still do!
    My Dad used to get into tickle fights with my brothers and I. He used to tickle us so bad that I thought we were going to die. We couldn't breath! He always knew just when to stop.
    There was this one time he wore this ugly devil mask I had for Halloween, the cheap plastic kind with the rubber band that goes around your head. Well he put it on and started dancing around all weird and scared the crap out of me!!
    He also always had a beard when I was younger and after my parents divorce, he decided to shave it off. I was out playing and ran in to ask him something and once again, he scared the crap out of me!! I didn't even know it was my Dad he looked so different!

My Mom used to cut our hair when we were little. She learned from my Grandpa who used to be a barber. I remember she would get so mad because we wouldn't hold still but it took forever! Our hair was everywhere! We were so itchy with hair in our shirt, all over our face, everywhere!
    Every Christmas now my Mom will always get me a box of Jelly Belly's.
    She started a stocking for each of us kids years ago and she glues a little item to it every year. A little drum or bear or candy cane, something. She started one for my wife and has also started one for each of my daughters.

I remember every time we went to my Grandparents (Dad's side) house they would take us somewhere. Either the arboretum, Knotts, even just the mall.
    They have a really long driveway and my Gramps used to have us stand on the dollie (sp?) and he'd roll us around on it.
    He'd sit out in the backyard and smoke his Dutchmaster Panatella cigar while he listened to the Dodger game on his little radio. We would be out there with him and pull kumquats from their tree.
    Still to this day we debate over Nike, Kobe Bryant and the proper way to shave.
    My Grandma would always make us soft boiled eggs. They were the best eggs I ever had!! She would cut the toast into pieces that fit perfect in the top of the egg so we could dip them. Her and my Dad always made the most perfect toast.

We used to go to my Grammies house in the summer and she'd take us to her pool. She lived in a mobile home complex. She would lay out and tan and get more wrinkly and we would get so excited to get our $.10 popcorn from the clubhouse.
    When she would watch us at our house she would always take us to Taco Bell. It never failed she would always order a tostada, only one.

Damn, you guys are making me get all emotional.........

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

This might sound stupid but my mom always cooked us dinner. even when she was working... if we were home at dinner, it was either a home cooked meal or leftovers (expect for the rare occasions we ordered pizza). That always meant a lot.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   

A lot of these make me realize how much I need to do with my kids. I know they're young but I hope they always remember the dorky things I do with them. I feel really close with them and I would love to hear them talk about things I do for them, just like you all are here.
    My reason for being here is for my kids and my wife so I need to make it memorable for them.

• Man O Lantern

My dad used to ask if I wanted a half or a whole sandwich. I'd say "whole" and he'd cut a big hole in it with a cookie cutter. He loved doing that to my friends the first time they came over!

When I was sick, he'd make me banana pudding and instead of a spoon, he'd give me Nilla wafers to scoop out the pudding.

My mom and I played a game called Bibbidy Bobbidy Boo. She'd hide her eyes and I'd run past her trying to get to the wall before she said Bibbidy Bobbidy Boo.

My mom sewed all my Halloween costumes. And she always packed me a school lunch, even though I was dying for a hot lunch.

My dad always planned my birthday parties and they were crazy good. Clowns, balloon animals, tons of games and prizes. They were always fantastic. And he barely spent a dime on them. Thriftiest guy I know.

My favorite was in sixth grade when he set up an army tent in our backyard and let me invite a ton of friends. He moved out a TV set and VCR and we got to spend the night outside watching movies.

We spent a month every summer driving across the country and up and down the west coast. We'd stay with relatives and at flea bag motels. I saw more of the US than most adults by the time I was 12.

My dad spent every weekend all summer taking us to theme parks. We'd pack our own breakfasts and lunches and stay on US government property (he was in the Coast Guard) and use the military passes to get us in. Again, didn't cost us much of anything, and we had the best time.

Also, my dad made me "turtle sandwiches." It was a hamburger and he'd attach a pickle head and legs with toothpicks.

• My cuties!

We had special pudding bowls too!

My mom had these cake decorating books that we got to go through and pick out our birthday cakes. She would stay up late the night before our birthday and bake the cake and decorate the house. She made amazing cakes! We couldn't get a store bought one until we were 16.

My dad would let us ride on his back when we were swimming (usually in motel pools when we went on trips).

My mom would make up bags of games and toys for us to have on long car trips. She would have a bag of snacks by her in the front seat and would pass out Wheat Thins with Easy Cheez on them.

We had a carnival in our backyard when I was 5 to raise money for MDA. I remember being dressed up like a clown.

What a great thread idea Matt!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by twinmom View Post
    What a great thread idea Matt!
    DER I don't make bad ones!!

It's so funny how many of our simple memories, are food related it seems. Curious.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast