Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Princess of my own world

Re: Simple things your folks did when you were a kid, that you remember to this day

My mom did and still does write notes to me on my napkins when she makes my lunch. Some were really just a simple "I love you. Have a good day. Love Mom" some were more in depth encouraging me about something.

I agree, it's the little things that make the biggest impact.

• Banned User

Re: Simple things your folks did when you were a kid, that you remember to this day

O'nut, your pudding memory reminds me of one from my childhood! My parents used to travel a lot, because my dad was in the Army. They lived many places, one of which was China.

We had these cool bowls that had a dragon in the bottom. My mom would make tapioca pudding and I LOVED getting to the bottom to uncover the whole picture of the dragon.

My dad was a master storyteller. He'd tell stories over and over. My siblings and I would roll our eyes when he'd start up on the same old tale. Nowadays, after he's been gone for 20 years, I sure would love to hear just one of those stories over again.

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilQueen View Post
    I miss her so much...
    Hugs and squishes. She sounds like she was such a neat lady.

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Whenever my mom would make a pie... which was pretty cool by itself... she would bake a small portion of the dough in a small pie pan, then sprinkle it with sugar and cinnamon just for me.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

ONut-- we had special pudding bowls, too! A couple of weeks ago I made pudding for my kids, so of course, I had to use the special bowls. I'm so glad now that I did.

My mom would make treasure hunts for us and our friends and there would be a handful of candy at the end. Now she makes treasure hunts for my kids!

Mom would also make tents over the dining room table with sheets and blankets and then she'd climb right in there with us.

#1 Mom thing-- making old cardboard boxes into playhouses for us. We had rocket ships and trains, anything you could think of, she would sit in it with us and draw the most amazing things with crayons.

My dad used to read to us before bed EVERY night. We'd start out by playing poker or war or something-- the loser had to scratch his back that night while he read. We read The Chronicles of Narnia, J.R.R. Tolkein, Frank Perretti, and one of my all time favorites: Swiss Family Robinson (which he keep out from the library so long he had to pay for it!)

Going to work with Dad was always fun because he'd take you out to breakfast first and then we'd get to help with the landscaping that day. (One of my brothers and I still work for him to this day.)

When I was a teenager my friends were welcome to our house-- anytime, any friend, no matter what. Sounds like a small thing, but really, it was huge. I was blessed to have truly awesome parents who now make life really fun for my kids, too.

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

My parents were really cool... but it was hard cause my Mom worked so we didn't get to spend too much time together.. Then she opened a daycare and did kiddy stuff all day and come night time, she was kiddied-out. (I think I made that word up!)

I do remember a few things though.

Every year my mom made Butterchotch Roll Cookies and we'd roll the dough out and do as many sheets as we could in all sorts of shapes. She'd also let us pick out some cool toppings from RiteAid.. Red hots, fun sprinkles, raisens, M&Ms, chocolate chips... We'd decorated them before we cooked 'em.. the dough was sweet enough and didn't need frosting - just lots of chippies and sprinkles!

My dad used to be a Tile Master (I don't know if that's a real title, but he used it!) and sometimes he'd take me with him to work.. I remember playing in these MASSIVE boxes at the site... I still love the smell of lumber to this day. I remember how he'd come home from work with grout all over his hands and in his jeans. I loved that smell. He'd always be so tired and I didn't understand at the time why he didn't wanna play every day. He used to give me and my sister and brother (at the same time!) "Horsey Rides" up and down the hall. My dad's a big guy so all three of us fit on his back. Aww! I miss being a little kid sometimes.

I remember hanging out with my friends a lot. We used to play house and make "dinner" out in the back yard... mixing dirt with water to make just the right consistancy for "taco meat". Leafy salads and dirt cakes with real roses and flowers for decorations too.

My sister and I used to draw chalk towns and roads on the driveway and then ride our bikes and make our dolls walk on the roads. We played with fake food and had a little cash register. I always loved doing play domestic things... My mom gave me a little sewing box, which was really an old pencil box with a lock, and she taught me to sew by hand. Nothing extraordinary.. just the basic stitch and knot. I think my mom loved to give us things that we could do independantly so she could do her own thing.

I remember being about 12 or 13 and my family was really poor. My mom would sneak me off to McDonalds and we'd get the 99 cent chicken nuggets and dip 'em in this schezwan sauce that they had.. it was for the Mulan promotion. One of the best things about my mom when I was younger was her ability to make things fun and special, even if we had very little money. I can still find fun things to do for under five bucks.

Here's the last one I can think of for now. Every Christmas Eve, mom would give us a pair of pajamas to unwrap and wear to bed. It's a tradition. Also, mom would ALWAYS put a flash light in our stockings. Every year. This way, we could look through our stockings with out turning on all the lights. We were allowed to open our stocking while Mom and Dad were still asleep, that way they could sleep a little longer and we'd get to get some of our Christmas morning ya-yas out! Good times!

Thanks Onut.. wonderful thread!

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Mom - Buying a pound of Peanut M&M's and we'd split them exactly in half, one by one and by color, took a while, but what a treat! I always feel asleep before eating them all, but one of my best memories with just Mom and I.

Dad - Going to the Racetrack and making better bets then he did (no money involved on my part, I'd pick my favorite name)! Made him so mad, but I enjoyed it totally.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney View Post
    Whenever my mom would make a pie... which was pretty cool by itself... she would bake a small portion of the dough in a small pie pan, then sprinkle it with sugar and cinnamon just for me.
    My mom used to do the same!!! Sigh. I want to be a little kid again!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123