Thread: Doggie Day Care

• Winter in Oceanside...

Question Doggie Day Care

Does anyone use Doggie Day Care on a regular basis? What are your thoughts?

DH and I are thinking of taking jobs that will have us away from home at least 10 hours a day. We're worried about the dog.

• Senior Minion

Re: Doggie Day Care

I've used them once in a while when I was away for a long time, mostly around the Downtown L.A. area though.

One thing that good doggie day care places do is make sure that your doggie has all their shots - plus they have them come over for a bit to see how sociable they are. This one place even lets doggies stay overnight, with a person in a room ... and the doggies are allowed to sleep on the bed with them too.

I'd say investigate what services are in your area and check them out. If something doesn't feel right ... then trust your instincts.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

There's a place in Huntington Beach called Doggietown, USA and it's great! I take my dogs there when I go out of town. It's a cage free kennel where they play with dogs the same size they are. My dogs are always exhausted when I pick them up because they play all day.

It's clean. The staff is phenomenal. I trust them completely.

And if you're too far away from them, I'm sure you could call and they'd give you a referral.

Good luck!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• Mexihick, y'all

A 10 hour away job shouldn't really be that big of a deal for the dog. What would be cheaper would be hiring a dog walker to come once a day, vice sending them somewhere. They can be rather costly.

If you STILL want the day care, PetSmart PetHotel offers a lovely, inexpensive (relatively) service.

• Circle of Ancients

Have you thought about a petsitter vs. the doggie day care?

I'd rather hire the petsitter than put my doggie in a day care no matter what the cost. And it's only because I would want my dog in the most familiar surroundings and where he would feel the most comfortable. This is just my opinion.

But I'm with Liz. Do some investigation regarding the facility. I hear too many horror stories in the pet day care.

Good Luck!

• Mexihick, y'all

The good thing about the doggy day cares, though, is that they are no longer allowing breeds such as mine in. That's a good thing. All dogs fight and attack, but if you go up against my guy, you're going to lose, 24/7, and my dog will get blamed. So, your dog is safe b/c the big guys aren't in there, mine is safe by not getting provoked and tearing yours to bits.

Make sure that no bully breeds are allowed.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Thanks for all the input, everyone. We are also kicking around the pet sitter / dog walker idea. But we are not crazy about strangers in the house. IndiannaJenn, HB would be fairly close to where we'd work (Costa Mesa), so we might check them out.

Thanks!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

At Doggietown, they give each dog a temperment test before they allow them to stay.

I have no children, so my dogs are like my children, and I would never ever let them stay anythere when they were not happy and I was not comfortable.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• Clearing my Calendar

You could always alternate, too. Doggie day care Monday, dog sitter Tuesday, Doggie Day Care Wednesday, etc.

That way the dog has breaks from all the play and action with other dogs, but still gets the opportunity to interact. Dogs are just as social as us and really really relish the chance to play with other dogs.

I used to work at a PetSmart that had a PetsHotel. The dogs *always* left there absolutely exhausted and happy.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."