who's been skydiving?

We've been away from home nearly two weeks. We left on the 16th to take our oldest to college in Oklahoma City. She's ready to be gone - she's not quite 18, graduated HS at 16 and spent a year at home - she's more than ready to be gone.

Her boyfriend is at college with her. He turns 18 tomorrow. She turns 18 next month.

All that to say this...

his parents are giving them both a skydiving lesson for their birthdays. On Saturday, my daughter will jump out of an airplane at 10,000 feet, free-fall for 45 seconds, then spend about 10 minutes floating to the ground. We have to sign a release of liability, have it notarized, and send it to Oklahoma...and I'm more than a little nervous about the whole thing.

So help calm me, please. Who's been skydiving? Should I be worried? Should I even let her do this? Is she too young? AUUUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!

• World Traveler

Re: who's been skydiving?

My sister and nephew did this several months ago. They LOVED it. I have my sister's video on You Tube linked below if you'd like to see it.

Personally, I would not do it. But that's just me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=FxlRlt_6nyg

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

I went tandem once in AZ. Biggest thrill of my life!

We went out at 12,500 feet and got it videotaped and all that.
    It was on a Friday the 13th, as I recall...

When you are grown up and can sign your own waivers, that's one thing. Would I sign one for my kids? I seriously doubt it. I would not put myself in the position of potentially signing my child's life away.

It may be no more dangerous than drivng on the freeway, but the thought that I could have prevented something bad from happening by refusing to sign a paper would drive me nuts if anything bad did happen.

That's my 2 cents worth. But I just know if my 17 YO daughter really tried hard, I would probably cave in.

So, my suggestion is to fight it and see how determined she really is...
    How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?

A few years back a group of co-workers and I decided to all go on a tandem skydive in Newport, RI. We got there signed all the necessary paperwork and took the training then when it was time to go up the pilot checked the wind speeds and said the winds were too strong. We could have either waited a few hours for it to slow down or reschedule. We all decided to not do it afterall. As much as I wanted to do it I was still nervous, but now I don't think I could work myself up to doing it again.

• Dreams do come true

A few years ago a bunch a friends and I went to the monterey bay area to sky dive, it was so fun we jumped from 14,000ft and being right near the coast it seemed like you were over the ocean....good times.

•   
    • Kerplookee

Done it a few times.

The first time I was about 18 and didn't tell my parents until after the jump.

In college I traded a pair of ski's for a skydiving trip.

She'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpee View Post
    I only care for Disney bling!

• no flash photography...

I never have, but a bunch of my co-workers went once and loved it. I also know a man who was doing his 1000th jump and died. I personally would not allow my child to do it.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Sparkle Plenty

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    I have my sister's video on You Tube linked below if you'd like to see it.

Personally, I would not do it. But that's just me.
    Oh my gosh, how cute is Sonia? She's awesome, I'd love to meet her.

But I am with you Mike, I wouldn't do it either.

•   
    • Damn Good Burger!

Loved it, would have kept doing it but the wife said no way once the first child was born. I have several friends that have made hundreds of jumps without any injury more serious than a sprained ankle. They'll be fine.

• Senior Minion

I haven't jumped freely, but I did have to eject once, and it was not nearly as pleasant (and I was in a rather bad mood at the moment).

Your daughter should be fine. They check all that gear very carefully, and there's little than can go wrong on a jump like that, and the instructors will be right with them. I hope they have a blast!

i've gone skydiving 11 times since i turnd 18 last year.I hope to get certified in the next year or two.

So she will be under 18 at the time of the jump?

Im in california,and even if the parents okay with it they will not let you skydive if your under 18.
    This is because it's not legal for anybody under 18 to sign a binding contract.

Skydiving is safe,most places take you through the steps for a few hours before they take you up,they will answer any questions you have,I would reccomend giving the place a call to answer your questions.
    Last edited by tory_c; 08-30-2007 at 04:18 PM.

• A Ghost at Disneyland

I never had a fear of heights till I parachuted. Several people didn't want to jump once we got to altitude, but they were violently thrown screaming out the door of the aircraft to be followed by a barrage of curses and profanities from our psychotic jump master (A survivor of over 300 combat jumps in Viet Nam, Laos and Cambodia). These were solo jumps, no tandem jumping here. We jumped with the old round parachutes with a panel missing so the chute would be steerable.

Once (IF) your chute opened, you were supposed to count the broken strings (that go up to the chute): 15 or more and you had to cut away to your reserve chute. I had 13 broken strings and was the last of my group to jump but the first to hit the ground - real hard.

Since it was 105 in the shade, the air was thin, meaning you fall faster. Two of 14 people had compound fractures (broken bones sticking out of their legs) and two others sprained ankles. I did a great parachute landing fall so aside from getting knocked senseless I was OK. The only time I would EVER jump from a plane is if the airliner broke up in midair or my aircraft was on fire.

There is no way I would let my kid parachute. When they get older, it's there choice and not your responsibility if things go terribly wrong. But until then, I wouldn't have it on my concious.