Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Searching for a new car

I currently have a 1999 Mazda Protege, it's been great for the most part since I got it eight years ago, but recently I've been having more issues, which I'm sure are just from being eight years old.

So, rather than continually getting repairs done on it, I'm thinking of a new car and just wanted to see what type of cars you all have that you would recommend.

BTW, I won't be getting a Ford, sunnygirl has one and it's been nothing but trouble, as have her previous Fords.

I'm looking for something in a 4-door sedan.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• no flash photography...

Re: Searching for a new car

sorry to hear about the issues with fords. I had one for over 10 years and it had over 100,000 miles on it. I did not have any problems. It was a stick shift. My BF has a ford truck. It has over 100k on it now and no problems.

Anyway, my current car is a toyota corolla sport. It's relatively new (4 years 36K on it) and I have not had any issues with it.
    Last edited by SCUBAbe; 08-30-2007 at 04:37 PM.

• That Guy

Honda Civic, my man. Those are great cars and will last forever. Plus they sip gas. My buddy has a 2006 and I cannot believe how roomy they are. I am 6'3 and I fit with room to spare. I own a Nissan Xterra, which I love, but my next car will be a Honda CRV, or civic.

Good luck!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

A Honda or a Toyota, whatever you choose. I love my Honda Element, but I know you want a "car" car. I'm just sayin'.
    A signature should go here.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    A Honda or a Toyota, whatever you choose. I love my Honda Element, but I know you want a "car" car. I'm just sayin'.

I LOVE the Element!!! I wanted one so badly!!!! My GF (at the time) didn't like them so I didn't get one. I should have known she was eveil... j/k

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

We also considered the Xterra when shopping. The only downfall to the Element is that it only seats 4. Lucky for us, we only have 3 in our family. It's really cool though. A bit too trendy right now, but at least I was in the first wave of coolness, back when everyone thought they were funny looking.
    A signature should go here.

Lakeland Florida......40 minutes from WDW.

I bought a 2007 Toyota Camry a year ago and love it. I've had absolutely no problems with it. Toyotas are consistently highly rated by Consumer Reports year after year. I get about 30 mpg on highway. It's a 4 cylinder, but has plenty of "get up & go" for passing, etc.
    Rod

.....a dawn for new awareness........(S.B. Anthony, American Adventure, Epcot)

• no flash photography...

when I was looking for a car I read consumer reports and I also went to the insurance institute website to see how the did in the crash tests. At the time the corolla and the civic were pretty much even, so at that point I went on the model I liked the best...

• See you there!

I have had Hondas since 1990, when we bought two new Honda Accords. My son still has one of our 1990 Accords and it is running well. Since then we have bought an Acura (a Honda product) and a Honda Odyssey mini-van.

I don't know about Toyotas. But I have no personal expereince, but from what I've heard and read I do not believe you could go wrong with a Honda or Toyota.

Oh, yeah, I have good friend with a 2 year old Mercedes that is falling apart arouund her. Could just be that one car, but to me that doesn't look good. She had nothng but Toyotas before and they seemed to be very good cars.

If you get a new Honda and treat it right (regular service etc.) it will last a long, long time

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• Winter in Oceanside...

We've had our Honda Accord forever so I can highly recommend Honda. But I LOVE my VW Jetta! It is nearly 8 years old and absolutely no problems. I just wished I'd gotten the bigger Passat.

• Why do you keep talking?

My Toyota Yaris averages about 36 mpg (for me) it isn't too expensive, it's quite roomy, and I've had no hints of a problem so far.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Incognito

Blog Entries

My suggestion - Mazda 3. It's gotten nothing but stupendous reports, is fun to drive and has proven itself quite reliable. I have a friend that has one and he absolutely loves it!

I have the Mazda 6 and love it, but I'm thinking you want a smaller car?? If so, the 3 is awesome.

• Again! Again! Again!

Sorry you're having car problems Erik. I think the best thing to do is just start test driving ones you like. Then checking out the reports on them.

One piece of advice...listen to Onut! He's wise when it comes to that stuff!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I have a stick shift Hyndai Elantra 2005 and it's my baby. It can handle the mtns. My one issue is I can't get my driveway... That could be just my bad driving.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Honda Civics are nice, but they're also one of the most stolen cars in the country.

My guy has an Xterra and it's great. I love it (and I normally hate SUV's).

Volkswagen Jettas are pretty nice. Those Germans can build their cars like a tank!

If you prefer American made, GM all the way. I love my 2005 Pontiac Sunfire.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast