Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• That Guy

Jerry Lewis drops anti-gay slur during telethon

(I placed this thread here, since we had a different thread about viewing the telethon- Also, please provide your thoughts on this, but let's discuss, NOT debate please)

What are your thoughts on this? Does Jerry get a pass because he was tired, or trying to do good? I am disappointed with his actions.

NEW YORK — Jerry Lewis dropped an anti-gay slur — the same one that got Isaiah Washington of “Grey's Anatomy” in trouble — during the 18th hour of his annual Labor Day telethon.

He apologized Tuesday for a “bad choice of words.”

The 81-year-old showman — prowling about the stage during the live telecast Monday in Las Vegas — was goofing around and dodging his cameraman, then went into a ramble about imaginary family members.

“Oh, your family has come to see you,” he said, speaking to the camera and gesturing toward thin air.

“You remember Bart, your older son,” he said, and motioning toward another unseen character, “Jesse, the illiterate f-----.

“No,” Lewis said, quickly stopping himself before continuing. Monday's monologue prompted a critical statement Tuesday from the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.

Neil Giuliano, GLAAD president and former Tempe mayor, called Lewis' use of the term “simply unacceptable.”

“It also feeds a climate of hatred and intolerance that contributes to putting our community in harm's way,” Giuliano said.

In a statement Tuesday, Lewis said he was making “a joking comment to a member of my production team.” “I apologize to anyone who was offended,” he went on. “Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard. In the family atmosphere of the telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well. “That something like this would distract from the true purpose of the telethon pains me deeply. ... I accept responsibility for what I said. There are no excuses,” he said.

Lewis' telethon, in its 42nd year, set a new record by raising $63.7 million to benefit the Muscular Dystrophy Association, topping last year's event by $3 million.
    Last edited by Max Fischer; 09-04-2007 at 05:49 PM.

• Problem Child/Rocker

Re: Jerry Lewis drops anti-gay slur during telethon

i actually know neil guiliano. i live in tempe and my dad knows him, and ive met him on several occasions.
    We want to appeal to everyone and get rich quick. We want to be millionaires. I've got this plan to buy Tasmania you see...-Angus Young

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by ACDCmaniac921 View Post
    i actually know neil guiliano. i live in tempe and my dad knows him, and ive met him on several occasions.

I didn't know you were a Zonie too. I was going to say, Neil was a Mayor in Tempe, we're really proud of him.

• That Guy

Back to the topic, my understanding is that the word he used is the equivalent to the N word, for the African American community.

That pretty serious stuff, and a really poor choice for personal use, let alone national television. I want to give him a pass, since he is super old, and likely exhausted, but still, when I am super tired, after working a 24 hour shift, it doesn't make me say words that I will not use...

On the one hand, I want to think he meant to be funny. On the other hand, if gay is the insult you choose, I'm not amused.

Either way, not a particularly smart choice of words.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• That Guy

It sounds like he caught his massive F-up right away too. Talk about a 'Oh crap' moment.....

Hmm, tough one. though I think I'd give Mr Lewis a pass on this one, only because he's in his 80's, I don't think he may have meant harm by it (just think how gay most of his film persona's have been).

Only recently has the slur become the 'N' word for the gay community, and it will be a while before the whole population becomes aware how it can offend. Mr Lewis is from a differant time... it may take a while for the message to trickle down to him.

Does this excue him? No, but I'm sure, once brought to his attention, he'll refrain from using that kind of slur (in pulbic at least) again.
    Can he be forgiven? I would hope so. (and I'm not even a fan of jerry Lewis)

Ya know - who cares?

Jerry Lewis comes from another time and like others from his generation words have thier meaning that in todays society are taken differently. I'm a big fan of Lewis and no, I'm not french and I think he's done a ton of positive work out there for longer than most of us have been alive. It's sad to see one little word turn such good into a soapbox for nonsense. If anyone is so hurt by a three letter word, then maybe they should understand what real hurt is by those with MS or any number of "things" that, I'm sure hurt a hell of a lot worse than a word. Move on.

• Problem Child/Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer View Post
    I didn't know you were a Zonie too. I was going to say, Neil was a Mayor in Tempe, we're really proud of him.
    Zonie? im not familiar with this term, sorry. do you mean gay or from Tempe?
    We want to appeal to everyone and get rich quick. We want to be millionaires. I've got this plan to buy Tasmania you see...-Angus Young

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Bornieo Goes Bananas View Post
    Ya know - who cares?

Jerry Lewis comes from another time and like others from his generation words have thier meaning that in todays society are taken differently. I'm a big fan of Lewis and no, I'm not french and I think he's done a ton of positive work out there for longer than most of us have been alive. It's sad to see one little word turn such good into a soapbox for nonsense. If anyone is so hurt by a three letter word, then maybe they should understand what real hurt is by those with MS or any number of "things" that, I'm sure hurt a hell of a lot worse than a word. Move on.

I hear what you're saying, and I appreciate the big picture view on this, but I don't know that age=blank check to say whatever. I had many older professors in grad school and none of them ever dropped the F, or N bomb.

Also, I don't know that the word he used can be summarized as 'one little word' but that is just my opinion.

• That Guy

Glad I wasn't drinking when I read your post, I would have destroyed my laptop.

Zonie= Arizonian.

GLBT, breeder, it doesn't matter.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Neither, "Zonie" refers to someone from/or who lives in Arizona.

I met Neil way back in College, and when I moved to Arizona,
    I was surprised to hear when he ran and became mayor of Tempe.

• Problem Child/Rocker

ah i see. that was kind of obvious haha. me not too smart.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Neither, "Zonie" refers to someone from/or who lives in Arizona.

I met Neil way back in College, and when I moved to Arizona,
    I was surprised to hear when he ran and became mayor of Tempe.
    I am glad for this clarification, because in my frame of reference, seriously,"Zonie" would refer to a dedicated fan of the TV show, the Twilight Zone.

Myself, I would give Mr. Lewis a pass on this one. He apparently caught it right away.
    And for all the reasons Bornieo mentioned.

Still, let's look over some incidents in sports TV in the last 25 years...just off the top of my head...

"Jimmy the Greek" fired by CBS as a football analyst, I believe because of a racial slur

Howard Cosell called Washington receiver Art Monk "a little monkey" (look at that little monkey go) and that was the last straw for ABC

CBS fired a male women's golf analyst for talking about women's breasts and how it affected their swing

So, we'll see...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• e komo mai

Comedian Jerry Lewis on Tuesday apologized for using the word "fag" as he broadcast his annual Labor Day Telethon for Muscular Dystrophy.
    "That something like this would distract from the true purpose of the telethon pains me deeply," Lewis said in a written statement.
    "The success of the show and all the good that will come of it shouldn't be lost because of one unfortunate word. I accept responsibility for what I said. There are no excuses. I am sorry."
    He apologized.
    I'm glad he did.
    I'm gay and I don't think it's a big deal, but the word is a big deal to lots of folks.
    His apology is good enough for this fag.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast