Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• no flash photography...

Re: Seeing red: motorists and byclists...can't we all just get along?

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkie Dad View Post
    And did you know that cars are supposed to leave at least three feet of space when passing a bike? Few motorists seem to know that.
    well, common sense dictates to leave room while passing. They probably get about 6 feet or more from me. I'm usually slightly over the center median when i pass a bike. I don't want to be the cause of any mishap.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    well, common sense dictates to leave room while passing. They probably get about 6 feet or more from me. I'm usually slightly over the center median when i pass a bike. I don't want to be the cause of any mishap.
    Believe me, your efforts are appreciated!
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

Contrary to popular belief...bulls are not enraged by seeing the color red...they are color-blind...

• Beep Beep!

I have serious issues with the cyclists where I live, my peeves:
    1) Running red lights and stop signs to the point I have to wait for them to run it before I can turn/go whatever, hey cyclists I ALREADY STOPPED!

2) Refusing to single up on two lane roads. Attention cyclists I'm not going to drive in the opposing lane and risk a head on collision because you have to ride 3-4 abreast!

3) Riding over the bike lane into the road, there's a bike lane, please use it.

/rant
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    well, common sense dictates to leave room while passing.
    Thank you. You'd be surprised how many people don't, however.

Quote Originally Posted by HDAlien View Post
    1) Running red lights and stop signs to the point I have to wait for them to run it before I can turn/go whatever, hey cyclists I ALREADY STOPPED!

2) Refusing to single up on two lane roads. Attention cyclists I'm not going to drive in the opposing lane and risk a head on collision because you have to ride 3-4 abreast!

/rant
    Bikes are supposed to obey traffic signals, like everybody else.

If I'm taking the lane for safety reasons, it doesn't matter if I'm in single file or not- you're still going to need the opposing lane to pass.

There are reasons why the bike lane may be unavailable. They commonly have debris in them (glass, metal, branches) or are entirely too narrow or have cars parked on them. Most of these things are not going to be apparent to you in a car, but if the bike's in the lane, there's a reason for it (and it's not to annoy drivers, in spite of what some people believe).
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• phbbbbbt

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    Bikes are supposed to obey traffic signals, like everybody else.
    And traffic signs too. I went to Chico State, there was a lot of bike traffic (including myself). I had a friend get a $50 ticket for going the wrong way down a one way street, another got a $50 ticket for not having a light (batteries burned out on the way home).

I'm 6' tall, blonde, and had on a very bright jacket (turquoise and purple, this was the mid 90's). I was on my way to work, on a 10-speed, and there was this one T intersection... No crosswalk to get across to where I needed to go, I checked traffic, signaled, made my way over to the left turn lane, waited my turn, and about blew a gasket when a car came around me from behind and turned left in front of me, as I was pulling into the intersection! I was so furious, I tucked down and followed her, she pulled into Taco Bell about a block away. I threw down my bike next to her car and asked her what the h*** she thought she was doing. She said she hadn't seen me there.

Honestly, I'm really hard to NOT notice.
    xo, Deanna

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
    And traffic signs too.
    ... and about blew a gasket when a car came around me from behind and turned left in front of me, as I was pulling into the intersection!
    Yep, we have to obey traffic signs. All of it.

Sorry that happened to you. That seems to me like someone who didn't want to see a bike, and so she didn't. Though if she had to alter course to get around you her argument doesn't exactly hold water.

It's frustrating, for people on both sides. We are such a car culture, people don't have much tolerance for any other modes sometimes. So the cars are frustrated because they don't understand why the bikes do what they do, and the bikes are frustrated because the cars do rude and dangerous things. This is a good discussion, though.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Former Loiterer

Perhaps we need separate roadways (not just lanes) for bicyclists and cars. And for semi trucks. And for new drivers (theirs will be lined with mattresses and tired). And for people who drive 15 mph below the posted speed limit and/or flow of traffic. And for this guy I followed into work today who apparently couldn't figure out how to make a lane change and kept riding the dotted lane divider for 3/4 of a mile.

Seriously, though, bicycles and cars and semi trucks make for a dangerous combination. It's bad all around.
    All I needed to know in life, I learned at MiceChat.
    And kindergarten.

As long as everybody follows the rules, it's fine. I get passed by semi trucks, and as long as they give me some room it's ok. Not great, but ok. I interact with cars frequently, with very few problems. The only time I have a problem is when someone gets an attitude- whether that be cyclist or motorist.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by HDAlien View Post

/rant
    You're not going to get a lot of sympathy from me on these points, because it appears you could use a smidge more patience.

1) It's a lot simpler for a car to start from a dead stop. Suppose at every stop sign, you had to shift into low gear, turn off your engine, open the door, and put your foot on the ground before starting up again. And you had to do this every two blocks. (That's how far apart some stop signs are where I live.) OK, I admit this example is a bit extreme, but it helps to illustrate the complexity of stopping a bike fully and starting it up again.

I can slow my bike to a crawl in order to let cars who arrive at an intersection before me cross first. (It's way easier than stopping completely and starting again.) Yet I'm often "waved through" by drivers who actually prefer that I not stop.

I won't repeat what I said earlier about traffic signals, but I will say I've witnessed many more motorists running red lights than cyclists.

2) The larger the pack, the longer it takes to get in single file. And there's always the one or two who pretend not to hear the first "Car back!" yelled from behind. Riding in a pack takes skill, trust, and group coordination and cooperation. And sometimes we have novices along who need a little more time and space to get organized. Given enough time, we'll get everyone in line, so you can pass safely. You might even get a "go ahead" wave from one of the riders who can see a clear road ahead. But there are some places where it's just not safe to pass at all, regardless of our configuration.

3) What alphabasset girl said.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12