Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

Question Complicated Question... (want to move to CA and work for Disney)

Ok here's the thing.

I have wanted to work or just be a part of the Disney Magic ever since I can remember. It is my life long dream to work at Disneyland. I still live at home at the moment (I'm only 19), and I am planning on moving down to Southern California sometime in the late Spring or early Summer. Now I'm not only moving down just to work at Disneyland (I mean, I know the starting pay isn't really that much and won't make a living), but it is one of the reasons. I am also an actor and have been acting singing and dancing since I was 5 years old. So I am also moving down there to get some work or at least try to. So my question is, where would be the best place for me to move to?

I want to be close enough to the park so I can get there easily, but I want to be around everything. As I said, Disneyland is one of the main reasons why I am moving, but it's not the only reason. I also just want to do something new, meet new people, and put myself out there in the acting world. But I figure if I someday make a show or a parade or some form of entertainment at Disneyland then that will be a good start for me.

So yeah, where would be the best place for me to live??

I don't want mean replies. I know I'm taking a risk here by this move and I know that I'm going into a very hard field of work, but it's what I've always wanted, so don't put me down please. That's all I ask.

Also I want as many tips as I can get for when it comes to working at Disneyland. I mainly want to be a character or be in shows and stuff...My ultimate dream is to be in Fantasmic!...so tell me all I need to know to get there. I'm just under 6'4'' so I know I can't play everything, but I know that the current beast in Fantasmic! is about 6'5''. So yeah, just fill me in on everything. This is my life we're talking about here!!
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Re: Compicated Question...

I think there might be a couple of threads here on what it's like to be a Jungle Cruise skipper...which is almost acting.
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• Knows Where His Towel Is

I would suggest a home in Newport Beach; awesome ocean views, and 1 hr. commute to either LA or DLR. I know, that's a lot, but you can't beat the ocean views, and a state park 5 minutes away!

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Lost in Wonderland

Well I am originally from SoCal (Thousand Oaks) and let me tell you the price to live out there right now is outrageous. One of the main reasons I am in Arizona. Rent is pretty high, my brother used to work at Disneyland (and Disney World) and he won't even let me SUGGEST that I am thinking about a job in Disney lol. There are a lot of down-sides, and it can be frustrating, but if your heart is in it then I say go for it. Just keep in mind that places like In N Out Burger pay more than entry-level Disney employees.

I can't really tell you where to live...the cheapest place I can think of (off the top of my head) is the Lancaster area but its a driiiivee to get to Anaheim. But if you are going to move I would suggest (as to anyone who wants to move somewhere) save, save, save before you go! And make sure you get a job before you go... My brother still lives in Anaheim (a block away from the Mouse himself) and he was paying $1,500 just for a studio. o.O

Okay I am babbling. Good luck and let us know how things go.
    Last edited by adormouse; 09-12-2007 at 07:41 PM.

Near enough to disneyland to love the fireworks...

It all depends on what you want to do. If Disney is going to be the staple of your income, then live near Anaheim and commute up to Hollywood for auditions until you land a good gig.

Or you could live closer to Hollywood, get an agent right away and try your hand there, though it's really hit or miss (more miss than hit really).

Good luck! You're in for a rough rough life... I'm in it too. haha

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Yeah, good luck in SoCal. It's a hard knock life.

...except for the beaches.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Minion

I understand that you want to work for Disney, but just be aware of the salary, its not very easy to find a good place for cheap near anaheim

Well like I said, I know that it doesn't pay very well for starters. I probably will wait tables and make some money and then try to get into a show or parade or something. I also think it would be fun to do ride operations...but I heard you can't transfer depts within 6 months. or something like that. I will always have a second job. I am not worried about the money. I just want to be part of the magic. I really want to make Fantasmic! but I know that they have in house auditions only...I just need some pointers.

Any guys here who have auditioned for shows/characters/parades??

I NEED TIPS!!!

And yeah I guess I could live somewhere between Hollywood and Anaheim...I'll have to look...

Btw, I have been saving and I will be saving, so I am preparing myself.
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

The very best advice: be SURE you have an economical car that gets astounding mileage. Then commute.

Hmmm, I need one of those myself. I live 52 miles away...

There are a lot of auditions going on right now, including for the Christmas Parade (check the website). You might want to start auditioning as soon as you can so you'll know what to expect. If you are offered a job right off the bat and can't take it, then I believe you'll have to wait six months to apply again (which might work out well for you). Give it a thought.

Also, check "the break room" part of this site. You'll find a lot of advice already written in there.

I recommend against commuting. Check Craig's List or the PennySaver, and try to find a room in the Anaheim area. Eventually, you might even find a room living with other castmembers. That's the best way to go. You will need flexible hours for the first year or so at least. That way you can be available for all kinds of shows, meet & greets in Entertainment, or ride operator shifts in Attractions, depending on what you get.

If you don't get picked in auditions, don't give up. Become an RO (Ride Operator), preferrably at the Jungle Cruise, and then in 6 months, try again.

• Happiest Girl On Earth

I agree that you should try to find a place in the Anaheim area via craigslist, but if that doesn't work out you may want to try south Long Beach; it's 20 minutes from Disneyland and at the border between LA and Orange county, making it convenient from all sides...

Also, Fantasmic auditions are most by invitation only and are only open to current CMs. Definitely try to get into entertainment like parades to try to make your way up...

Good luck

There I was somewhere West of Tomorrowland
    Flying through the stars just like
    Peter Pan
    I said...Dang this looks too good to be true...

It's a nice day when you wake up in
    Disneyland...
    -Five For Fighting, "Disneyland"

• "I Break Things"

My advice, get a job that pays decently so you have the money to keep a place then worry about the Disney job. EVERYTHING is expensive out here from rent to gas to groceries... It's nice to live a dream and I do not mean to discourage you but you're also going to have to pay the bills.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Eeyore smiling

Quote Originally Posted by LittlePrincess1230 View Post
    I agree that you should try to find a place in the Anaheim area via craigslist, but if that doesn't work out you may want to try south Long Beach; it's 20 minutes from Disneyland and at the border between LA and Orange county, making it convenient from all sides...

Also, Fantasmic auditions are most by invitation only and are only open to current CMs. Definitely try to get into entertainment like parades to try to make your way up...

Good luck
    I agree with the Southern Long Beach Area (or Seal Beach), not far via PCH down to Huntington Beach or Newport Beach, not far to Disneyland via the 22, the longest commute would be to the Hollywood area via the 110.
    Also echo the reliable car with good gas milage

• Wishin' On A Star!!!!

PrinceD.......it sounds like everyone has been really supportive and is offering great advice for you. Especially good is to check craigslist for apartment info specifically roommates wanted. Just my couple of cents worth: No matter how many obstacles you might run into, no matter how many friends, relatives or other people tell you all the reasons you may not be successful, no matter how hard you have to try.......Do Not Give In!!! This is your dream........as long as you want it so bad you can taste it, you will do it!!! One day I know I will be waving to you in a Disney parade......because you chased your dream. Blessings!
    DisneyBroad54

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMagick View Post
    PrinceD.......it sounds like everyone has been really supportive and is offering great advice for you. Especially good is to check craigslist for apartment info specifically roommates wanted. Just my couple of cents worth: No matter how many obstacles you might run into, no matter how many friends, relatives or other people tell you all the reasons you may not be successful, no matter how hard you have to try.......Do Not Give In!!! This is your dream........as long as you want it so bad you can taste it, you will do it!!! One day I know I will be waving to you in a Disney parade......because you chased your dream. Blessings!
    Thank you so much! :0) It means a lot!! Really, it does!!
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast