Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Still wants to be a cat!

Do we really need 11 cats?

Someone talk me out of getting another cat. Just saw a 1/2 Persian kitten at my friends pet shop. Most beautiful cat I have seen in a long time! Persian look, blue eyes (maybe we'll have to wait and see) with light grey stripes......Help!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• no flash photography...

Re: Do we really need 11 cats?

I would stay away from Persians. My male cat is part persian. He knots up something fierce. He needs daily brushing or he turns into one giant knot. That is trivial though. My cat had diabetes. I was told it runs in the Persian breed. We are treating it, because I just can't put him down when it can be treated. It cost about $600 to have him diagnosed and would have been more, but I stopped taking him in. he is now stable on 2 shots of insulin a day. The insulin is $100.00 every two months.

The costs sucks, but I treat him because I love him and it's not his fault he is sick. he is doing much better now. However, I'm not sure how we can ever go on an overnight trip together. Nobody I Know wants to give the cat his shot and he has to have his shots twice a day. he is so cute though. he reminds us when it's time for his shot.He comes in and starts meowing around the food bowl.

As far as having 11 cats...if you already have 10 whats one more?

• Minion

you might not need 11 cats, but the 11 cats need YOU!

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• Winter in Oceanside...

I think once you get past 8, adding another would be no big deal! I'm just trying to stay at 3. (plus a big dog)

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    I think once you get past 8, adding another would be no big deal! I'm just trying to stay at 3. (plus a big dog)
    We are at 4 right now, 2 cats and 2 dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I would stay away from Persians. My male cat is part persian. He knots up something fierce. He needs daily brushing or he turns into one giant knot. That is trivial though. My cat had diabetes. I was told it runs in the Persian breed. We are treating it, because I just can't put him down when it can be treated. It cost about $600 to have him diagnosed and would have been more, but I stopped taking him in. he is now stable on 2 shots of insulin a day. The insulin is $100.00 every two months.

The costs sucks, but I treat him because I love him and it's not his fault he is sick. he is doing much better now. However, I'm not sure how we can ever go on an overnight trip together. Nobody I Know wants to give the cat his shot and he has to have his shots twice a day. he is so cute though. he reminds us when it's time for his shot.He comes in and starts meowing around the food bowl.

Was kinda my concern....I've heard terrible things about health problems with Persians, but was hoping since the kitten is a mixed breed, might be less of a chance. Having hubby stop by the pet shop on his way home, to see what he thinks...will keep you updated.

How about Pet Insurance...???

- Wolfette

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    I've been using that excuse since #5!

- Wolfette

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999 View Post
    Was kinda my concern....I've heard terrible things about health problems with Persians, but was hoping since the kitten is a mixed breed, might be less of a chance. Having hubby stop by the pet shop on his way home, to see what he thinks...will keep you updated.

How about Pet Insurance...???
    peper is a mixed breed also,

pet insurance is good. You pay for everything up front and submit forms to be reimbursed. i do not have it for the cats. I may get it for the dogs. I'm still deciding. VPI is what i was looking at.

• Minion

Blog Entries

if you have the love for 11 cats, then why not? i've go 3 dogs and a cat i love me some fur babies too!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

If I could have more cats, I would. Unfortunately, my complex only allows 2 pets per unit and I hit that limit back in June when I brought Chandler home.

• For old time sake

No More Cats
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Clearing my Calendar

This is exactly why I had to stop grooming.

I couldn't stand seeing all the cats for adoption all the time.

I don't blame ya for wanting to add to the brood. Especially when you see those darling blue eyes. I don't know your living arrangements, but I'm guessing if you have 10, you can handle 11.

I've been looking into pet insurance for a while. I need to get them signed up before the unlucky bug hits. I think it's a good idea for the most part. I would still expect to pay for MAJOR stuff, but at least the minor stuff (and minor surgery, etc) is taken care of for around $50 a month (for two cats from what I've been looking at).
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Banned User

The question you have to ask is.... can I afford another one. the cost of shots, neutering or spaying, teeth care, and so forth is lots of money. I know my little dog costs me a fortune every year to maintain his health. teeth cleaned, boosters and he has been ill several times with pancreatitis. he is on special food whick costs me 40 dollars a month for. the new puppy has had 3 shots, will be nutered in 2 weeks, and who knows what else will come up. Pets are wonderful, but they need the utmost care. if you can afford all that care, and cost then yes, get it, you are a wonderful pet owner. if you just do not think swining more money then I would say no.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post

I don't agree with the grooming. We had a part persian stray when I was a kid and she was never ever groomed. over the course of her life she had hundreds of kittens, some which we kept.
    Our part pesians only had fluffy faces and tails, and many of the kittens were not fluffy at all
    This is what she looked like

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tassie View Post
    I don't agree with the grooming. We had a part persian stray when I was a kid and she was never ever groomed. over the course of her life she had hundreds of kittens, some which we kept.
    Our part pesians only had fluffy faces and tails, and many of the kittens were not fluffy at all
    This is what she looked like
    She was your cat and she had hundreds of kittnes? I am sorry but this made me very sad. why did someone not fix her, and give her the quality of life she deserved? I am not being mean, but it does not sound like a responsible pet owner if you or your family allowed her to have that many kittens, more then 1 litter is far more then she should have had.
    She also does not look one bit like a persian.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast