Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Commuting/traffic...

Okay I've been thinking about this for awhile and I wanted to get a general feel for it.

I hate commuting. I hate driving to and from work, even if I love my job and live less than 3 miles. I've commuted 30 miles during the 91 freeway rush hour to 3 miles away (which still takes 20 minutes). I don't know why I hate it. It got so bad that I decided to ride my bike to and from work when I lived in Newport (3 miles). But then I heard something insane like L.A. has the worst traffic in the US and how many hours people waste in traffic. It astounds me.

So my questions:
    -What's your current commute?
    -What's been your longest commute?
    -How long is too long for you?

I really like the idea that I work in my community. I like the idea to walk and from work or bike (which I can't do! Biking on the mountain bad.). I am really right now debating about my current job because it's a 20 minute commute (which I know seems like nothing to a lot of people. Also I am kinda' not liking this preschool.) and I am thinking that's too far I want to drive. I mean I could drive 20 minutes and get a job off the hill...Also there's something not cool about being locked behind the wheel to get to work. I don't know. That's my take on traffic. What's everyone elses?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Re: Commuting/traffic...

I currently live 12 miles from the hospital i work at. Thankfully its all freeway from a mile away from my house to work, and since i work 7pm-7am i miss traffic as when i'm coming to work, most people are heading home the opposite direction and vice versa in the am when i get off. It takes me about 15mins to get to work which for me is completely bearable.

Too long of a commute for me would be over 30mins each way, i dont' think i could that, but i would do it if i HAD to.
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Beep Beep!

4 1/2 miles, 10 minutes, all back roads. I work early hours so I miss traffic anyway. Still, I hate driving so much!
    HDAlien

-----------------------------------------------------
    "I dream of the day when you can go to a drive through, purchase alcohol, tobacco, and bullets, and use them all before you get home" -- Dogbert

• For old time sake

I commute 25 mins one way to work each day. I've never had a problem with traffic out here where I live, but if I lived in CA, that 25 min commute would be more like 45min-1hr.

L.A. traffic is insane.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I live 26 miles from work. I drive part of the way, and take the subway the remaining way. My total commute is 1 1/2 hours each way.

Yeah- it sucks.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

What's your current commute?
    About 2 miles. Takes about 10 minutes.

What's been your longest commute?

30 miles one way, which takes an hour+ during rush hour, but only 30 minutes in lighter traffic.

How long is too long for you?
    See last answer. I hate traffic.

• Clearing my Calendar

When I transferred to Georgia, the only location the company could give me was about 25 miles away from where I was living. I took it, not knowing what else to do and not being qualified for another job that paid as well.

It. Was. Horrible. Georgia back roads do not go in straight lines. You can start out going north on a road and somehow end up going south west. It's ridiculous. And this job was not in an easy location to the main highways.

So it'd take me about 1 hr to get to work and 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours to get home. To try to make the commute worthwhile, I started pulling 10-12 hour days.

I did that for about 8 months and finally managed to get transferred to another location closer to home.

My current job(s) I commute less than a half hour with good traffic. It can take 45 to an hour with my first job if there's bad traffic and 45 minutes from the second.

Bryan read an article the other day that said that by something like 2015 or so the average commute will be four hours a day. Ugh!
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

I live in La Habra and work in Irvine, so what is that, 35 miles or so each way?

It takes me about an hour and a half both trips.

I take the 57 south, to the 5 south, to the 55 south to the 405 south.

I don't hate traffic actually. I like listening to my morning radio or my iPod. The only time I really detest traffic is when I'm in a hurry to get somewhere, but I've learned to leave super early whenever I have to drive somewhere, anywhere really.

• no flash photography...

I work less than 5 miles from my work. When there is no traffic it takes me 8 minutes to get there. When there is traffic (every morning when I go in at 8:00am) it will take 15 to 20 minutes.

There's only traffic during one part, but it's also time parents take kids to school, and the school buses are out so all that causes delays.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

1.5 hours? Oh my gosh.... Why? How? How do you listen to your iPod in your car?

Yeah I've heard people having 2 hour commutes and that's too much. My mom would drive from Corona to Santa Ana and her commute was 2.5 hours each way on a good day (and we moved to Corona because it cut down my mom's commute.).

I love driving too! I drive stick and there's something just... I feel like a kick arse girl for driving stick up and down the mountain, but driving to work, I can't do it.

• Man O Lantern

My husband drives 7 miles each way to work, against traffic.

If/when I work, I sure as heck won't be driving that far!! No job is worth the commute.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Im not sure mileage wise but it takes me about 1/2 hour to and from work. Not too bad. Ive had to drive an hour to work in horrible traffice before and that was hell.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

•   
    • Senior Minion

-What's your current commute?
    My current commute is about 2 miles, so just about 10-15 minutes on the street and I'm at work.

-What's been your longest commute?
    When I used to work in Santa Monica, I tried everything to avoid the traffic - since I had to drive through the 10 and 405. In the end I ended up just driving down Wilshire until I got home, that commute was about 30 miles.

-How long is too long for you?
    The 30 mile commute was too long for me. By the time I got home I just had time to eat and then go to bed so I could get enough sleep to work the next day.

• Damn Good Burger!

Quote Originally Posted by HDAlien View Post
    4 1/2 miles, 10 minutes, all back roads. I work early hours so I miss traffic anyway. Still, I hate driving so much!
    Me too.
    Longest commute was 20 miles when I was in construction 20 years ago. Left at 5:30am and was back home around 4pm. No traffic so 20 minutes each way.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

What's your current commute?
    8 miles door to door, 20-25 minutes, all street traffic.

What's been your longest commute?
    30 miles door to door, mix of street and freeway (Santa Clarita to Tarzana) and would take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour. Add rain to the mix and it'd be 90 minutes and up. And every September, when more people moved to the SCV, and those people would have to commute south to LA, it'd add 10 minutes, every year. I was there 3 years and by the end of the 3rd year my commute was 30 minutes longer (on a good day) than it was when I initially moved.

How long is too long for you?
    Anywhere outside the S.F. Valley.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast