Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• I like Cheese...

Re: OMG- a little punk *** weasel at work just called me names- to my entire team

Quote Originally Posted by Small Panda After All
    Why thank you...Life is really all about petty vandalism. In all fairness, though, Whatever was my inspiration and the wind beneath my wings...
    I live but to serve

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries

Re: OMG- a little punk *** weasel at work just called me names- to my entire team

The easiest way to prank a computer is to unplug the keyboard. Even experienced users will over look this one.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• No bacon; sausage.

that is sexual harassment
    ?? How is it sexual harassment? Not that I'm excusing this *** of anything, he desereves whatever he (hopefully) gets. But sexual harassment?

I don't know for sure, but I think Small Panda After All was referring to him creating a hostile work environment. Which falls under sexual harassment.

Nephy
    Partnership for an Idiot Free America

• I like Cheese...

Quote Originally Posted by DextersLab
    I don't know for sure, but I think Small Panda After All was referring to him creating a hostile work environment. Which falls under sexual harassment.

Nephy
    having been through the recommended manager training for california i can confirm that this is correct. It all basically falls in the same category. sad but true. the training is call sexual harrasment training (you'd think with a name like that they would be teaching you how to harass, but alas, no ) but it covers everything...

• insufferable know-it-all

So, Nephy... UPDATE!

Have they done anything about it?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• No bacon; sausage.

Definition of Sexual Harassment in Colorado:

Colorado. Employers with one or more employees are covered. Harassment that results in discrimination in employment on the basis of sex is a violation of Colorado's Antidiscrimination Act. Sexual harassment includes unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature.

The Commission encourages all employers to take the steps necessary to prevent sexual harassment from occurring, such as affirmatively raising the subject, expressing strong disapproval, developing appropriate sanctions, informing employees of their right to raise and how to raise the issue of harassment under the Act, and developing methods to sensitize all concerned. No employer policy, notice to employees, or posting is specified.
    All sexual harassment laws, if they mention "hostile work environment", or something similar, qualify it with "conduct of a sexual nature." Calling someone a name hardly qualifies as sexual nature.

Don't get me wrong, what this guy did is still worthy of severe reprimand at minimum. But throwing around things like "sexual harassment" when it's not warranted is just reactionary and won't get you anywhere.

• Puppy Cuddles

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon
    Definition of Sexual Harassment in Colorado:

All sexual harassment laws, if they mention "hostile work environment", or something similar, qualify it with "conduct of a sexual nature." Calling someone a name hardly qualifies as sexual nature.

Don't get me wrong, what this guy did is still worthy of severe reprimand at minimum. But throwing around things like "sexual harassment" when it's not warranted is just reactionary and won't get you anywhere.
    I disagree. The b-word is a distinctly sexual derogatory term. If he had called her an a** or a sh**, you might have an argument, but b is pretty sexual.
    The King is back and he's ready to kick some tail. Do not mess with a mouse in black.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

The b-word is a distinctly sexual derogatory term.
    Yep. Afterall, it IS listed in the dictionary as a *female* dog. Throw a gender into an insult, and yes, it does qualify as sexual harassment.

• No bacon; sausage.

Gender is not the same as sexuality.

I'm sorry, but this really bothers me. Sexual harassment laws were enacted a reason. And a damned good one. It was to protect people from being unfairly treated, rewarded, punished, intimidated based on sexual advances and one's willingness (or unwillingness) to put up with them. That's what it's for, and that's what it should be used to prevent. Playing semantic games of, "I'm a female, and he used a female name to insult me, therefore it's sexual" completely dilutes the purpose and makes a mockery of the term "sexual harassment." Sexual harassment is a serious, heinous offense. It should be treated as such, not as an accusation to throw around every time someone insults you.

Again, this guy's actions are inexcuseable. But unless he was offering sex, demanding sex, or making her uncomfortable by using or discussing sex (sex, NOT gender), it is not sexual harassment. "You're an ugly woman" is NOT sexual harassment. "You're an ugly woman, you'll never be able to sleep your way to the top" is sexual harassment.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon
    I'm sorry, but this really bothers me.
    Oh, I totally agree with that standpoint, but sadly, that's what today's society has come to - over-sensitive, sue-happy, and over-PC. And, that transfers over to more strict, sometimes overly "picky" laws.

Bacon: I agree with you on many fronts, and hate when sexual harrassment is thrown around, however, let me offer a counterpoint to what you have said.

The B- word is very often used by men to refer to a woman who acts in a way other than they would like, often "unfeminine". This can mean a woman who is assertive, or just a woman who doesn't do what the man would like or expect her to do. In that sense, the B- word can be used by men to make women feel inferior, or to feel that they're expected to be inferior and they aren't doing it. In THAT sense, the B-word CAN be taken as sexual harrassment. Remember there are two sides to the sexual harrassment argument - one is to prevent actual sexual advances/favors, and the other is to prevent the oppression of women in the workplace. These issues can be taken in conjunction with eachother or separately.

I agree that in this case, it probably isn't sexual harrassment, just a VERY poor choice of workplace behavior, but that it is very close to that line because of his choice of words (for example, if he'd said she was a "big meanie", it would not have been remotely sexually harrassing in nature, but would also have lost a lot of its oomph. The correct choice, other than not doing it at all, would have been a-hole because it is not gender-specific). The fact that it can be argued to be sexual harrassment though, if one WERE to pursue it, should make him enough of a liability that the company should still divest itself of him. If he were to ever be accused of stepping over the line in the future, the company would find itself liable for not dealing with the issue the first time it came up.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• /sigh

It would be considered Inapropriate Behavior...not Sexual Harrassment.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• No bacon; sausage.

Making a woman feel inferior based on her gender is not sexual harassment.

Or, for a more concrete example, and one that actually happens and is not prosecuted as sexual harassment, if someone is passed over for a promotion and is told that it's because she's a woman, that is not considered sexual harassment. Discrimination, yes. Unfair hiring practices, absolutely. But NOT sexual harassment. Mere mention of gender does not qualify.

My bad, discrimination then. But try telling a woman you work with that women should only be in the workplace to get you coffee and see how long you last at the job. Either way... this guy's in trouble.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast