Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quitting smoking

OK, here's my chance: I've got a bit of a cold, which, in spite of how rotten I've felt, has provided me with one excellent benefit: I've had no urge whatsoever to smoke. I'd like to take this as an opportunity to just be done with cigarettes forever. Have any of you quit smoking? Anybody have any tips on how they managed to quit?
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Original Mice-Chatter

Re: Quitting smoking

I had no idea you smoked- and I have no tips- but I do have giant hugs and support for you. Plus applause for making such a great choice!

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Thanks, Nephy! I'm going to need all the moral support I can get on this one.

• I like Cheese...

I quit about 11 or 12 years ago. I wasn't a heavy smoker, only about a half pack a day or so. Can't really offer any advice other than to stick with it - it can be done and you, and your child, and whomever kisses you will be glad you did. I have a very non-addictive (abnormally so) psyche - I just decided to do it and haven't had one since... I was able to just ignore the cravings, which many people can't. Ditto drinking, although I will occasionaly knock back some good tequlia or a Corona I fear I will never be a member of the DMCA...

One thing that I think really helps is getting physically active - get 30 - 45 minutes of intense cardio a day and focus on that.

• CM for 4 years!

Grow out your fingernails, because you're going to need something to chew on.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Rock Star Minion

1. Don't start in the first place. That was my trick. Possibly not applicable here.
    2. Start hating the smell of smoke. Remember: it's not the smoke you crave; it's the nicotine. It's a drug, and, for you and many smokers, it's addictive.
    3. Have non-smoking friends only. Smoking friends will only lure you back to the hazy side. Just drop them like a bad habit. Remember: thwey'll die sooner than you will, and that means crying about them and going to their funerals because of their habit. Without them around, you won't even know when their funerals happened.
    4. None of this "social smoking" crap or "only smoke when I drink" crap. Stop drinkning if that's your excuse to smoke.

After all this, you might think it's easier to keep smoking. Well, one day, you'll stop. Sooner than you think.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment

After all this, you might think it's easier to keep smoking.
    My mom used to tell me that nothing worth doing was easy. And while I think it will be hard, I'm ready to quit.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

The worst times to get past when you quit are times of stress and boredom. Findding distractions for those times would be helpful. Buy yourself a Gameboy to occupy your hands.

Think about Jr. Miss Sunnygirl. She will be beamingly proud of you when you quit smoking. You will be setting an excellent example for her.

Start to think about what it is like to be a smoker. You will gain loads of time that you would have otherwise been smoking. You will have extra money from not having to buy cigarettes. You will no longer smell like a smoker.

You CAN do this Sunnygirl! We will all be here to help you through this

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Yay for bad colds that make you want to quit smoking!!!!

One of my best friends had exactly the same cold as you back in 1997 when she decided to stop smoking and she hasn't ever since. She just gave it up and never had the urge to go back, and that was after about 13 years of smoking too.

So all I can say is that you aren't alone in deciding to quit when having a cold and that maybe it makes it easier. Best of luck SunnyG!!! Just think of all the $$$ you'll save by not buying cigs!! And oxygen tanks when you're 56!!

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Something else to look forward to: not getting as sick all the time. Plus, when you have a coughing cold, you won't be coughing up brown junk anymore.

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

Good for you, sunnygirl! I started smoking socially about a year ago and now it has taken the place of dipping for me.
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    Grow out your fingernails, because you're going to need something to chew on.
    I have acrylics...I used to bite my nails, then I replaced that bad habit with an even worse one, mostly because I couldn't stand how ugly my nails looked.

• me.

yay sunnygirl! I had no idea you smoked either... I don't have any tips for you... except my uncle quit and he used both the gum and the patch.. He said that made it a little bit easier. I wish you all the luck in the world. You can do it!!!

• insufferable know-it-all

Sunnygirl:

Couple things. First of all, congratulations!

Go buy a good supply of sugar-free gum. Extra is pretty good. That way, when you need to, you can occupy your mouth with the gum.

Also, clean everything in your house. Years of tar building up means it's everywhere! The smell, which you'll start to notice more the further you are from quitting (at least, that's what I've been told), is going to drive you nuts, as well as remind your brain of cigarettes. When you're feeling better, get out the scrubbers and clean everything. Walls, lamps, floors, etc. Besides the obvious advantage of not having the smell of smoke around, you'll have a really clean house you won't want to mess up again.

And the final advice, which comes from my father (who only had to quit smoking ONCE) is this:

Never let another cigarette pass your lips.

It's as simple as that. No "just this once" ciggies, because you'll be hooked again. Just NEVER put another one in your mouth and you can't start again.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Membre

I quitted smoking using nicotine patches, during almost 3 months. It worked very well for me, I didn't smoke again since then (6 years ago).
    Good luck for you!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast