• Circle of Ancients

Have you heard this story on the news about the woman with the botched mammogram?

I just heard it and it is so awful!

A woman is suing a lab because they mixed up her test results with another woman's test results.

She was told she had breast cancer and ended up having a double mastectomy. In the meantime , the woman who really does have breast cancer has been going for months and months without treatment.

I think she should sue too!

I just can't even imagine awful it must be to be in that first woman's shoes right now. Even if she sues, what amount of money can make it better that they removed her breasts for no reason?

• Senior Minion

Re: Have you heard this story on the news about the woman with the botched mammogram?

I learned quite a while ago to never truly place my complete trust in a doctor. Especially when dealing in this type of issue, I would have gotten a second opinion before venturing into such a drastic surgery.

I truly feel bad for her, and you are right PB, there is no amount of money that would remedy this situation - physically it is horrible. Emotionally though, I can only wonder at how hard it was for her to accept this and get that surgery to find out in the end she didn't have cancer.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Re: Have you heard this story on the news about the woman with the botched mammogram?

Well- that doesn't make sense. Why didn't they take more pictures when the mass was found?They don't usually just perform a masectomy based on one set of x-rays
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• I'm baaaaccckkk!

Blog Entries

I would be upset, too... But maybe she is feeling a bit relieved, too? I mean, to learn that she really DOESN'T have cancer and doesn't have to worry about it being in remission or whatever because she never really had it in the first place...
    I mean, this is a HORRIBLE mix up, but I'm thinking along with the anger, I would be feeling relieved.
    <3 Chloe

• Clearing my Calendar

She *did* get a second opinion and it wasn't a surgery based on x-rays. The second doctor based his conclusions on the SAME report from the first test of tissue samples.

Full story here. It's an interesting article.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Wow- really feel bad for her. Thanks for the link TC!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub View Post

Thanks Trace Cub! That's excellent information about asking for another lab test in addition to another doctor's opinion.

• Winter in Oceanside...

I feel bad for the woman who lost her breasts, but relieved for her at the same time. I feel worse for the woman who went months and months without treatment and is probably not in a good way right now.

• Senior Minion

I read the article and I do agree that a second test, along with a second opinion is best. That is what I was about to state actually before reading it though.

I'm diabetic and have PCOS, and I learned a long time ago that doctors cannot be trusted ... and labs go into that non trusting category as well. I always get copies of my medical records and lab results so I can see what is in my record and check on my lab work to make sure I am on the appropriate medication. It was a bit overwhelming at first to take control of my own health, but the peace of mind it brings is worth it.

• Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    I feel bad for the woman who lost her breasts, but relieved for her at the same time. I feel worse for the woman who went months and months without treatment and is probably not in a good way right now.

took the words right out of my mouth.

if anything, the dr.s should affer woman 1 some plastic surgery, breasts can be remade, maybe not with the same capabilities, but it is possible.

women 2, however, might not live now that she has gone for months with no treatment. pray for women 2, please.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub View Post
    She *did* get a second opinion and it wasn't a surgery based on x-rays. The second doctor based his conclusions on the SAME report from the first test of tissue samples.

I also read the article. And if I was going to have a second opinion from a different doctor, I would have all tests redone and not base it on the first report.

And in the article it doesn't specify which second doctor she used for a second opinion. IMO, I would have used a doctor that specializes in breast cancer. I know that's a little late for this poor woman but if you are talking about having a double mastectomy, I probably would have gotten a third opinion.

This case is just sad for both parties.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Ick. The whole situation.

• GO DBACKS!!

Before going thru my breast cancer surgery I had to see several different doctors (surgeon, radiologist, PCP, oncologist) and all did their own tests on me. I ended up having 3 CTs and an MRI. Luckily I didn't have to have a mastectomy but a friend of mine did, a month after my own surgery. She had even more redundant tests than I did. How does something like this happen?

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• Clearing my Calendar

Quote Originally Posted by Earkid View Post
    How does something like this happen?
    It's sad. And very scary.

I feel for both women involved. I hope the second woman will be all right - how horrible for her and her family if it's not able to be treated.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."