• Minion

2 week old baby killed by dog

A TWO-week-old baby girl has died in a Perth (WA) hospital from head injuries after being fatally mauled by a siberian husky just a week after coming home from hospital.
    The tiny newborn was attacked in its cot by the siberian husky while her parents watched television in a nearby loungeroom.

Police said the baby was rushed by ambulance to Princess Margaret Hospital but died three hours later from head injuries.

The father's nephew said the family was devastated by the death and asked for privacy for the family to be allowed to grieve.

The dog has been taken to Murdoch University Veterinary Department, where a decision will be made whether to have it put down.

Police said the baby had been sleeping in a cot next to the parents' bedroom at about 9.45pm while they were in the lounge, nearby, watching television.

The father heard a noise and went to investigate, finding the dog standing at the side of the cot.

Police said the dog has been a family pet for at least five years.

However it had only just been reintroduced to the house that day, after staying with a family relative for a short period of time.

Police said the grief-stricken parents told them the dog was supposed to be outside and they were not aware it had been let into the house.

Detective Sergeant Jason Beesley said: "The dog was staying with the brother while the baby got used to the house, they brought the dog back yesterday and that's when the attack happened.

"The dog came back to get used to the baby and the dog has been let in the house, it's just a tragic accident and the parents didn't know what was happening until they walked into the room.''

''The baby had serious head injuries.''

"She died at Princess Margaret Hospital early this morning.''

"It is a terrible accident, you just feel sorry for the family. It was there first child together.''

He said it will be up to the parents and other authorities as to what happens to the dog.

"The dog is down at Murdoch University at the moment, obviously there's going to be forensic examination, you have to try and obtain evidence in relation to the attack and it's really up to the family to decide later on,'' he said.

"It's a decision they (the family) are going to have to make for themselves.''

The couple have at least four other boys from previous relationships, but the baby girl was their first child together.

RSPCA spokesman Marianne Ellis said dogs should never be left alone with children.

"This tragedy is a sad reminder to the community and to parents that children and pets must always be supervised,'' she said.

"No matter how well you think you know your pet, you can never predict how they are going to react in different situations.''

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• I'm baaaaccckkk!

Blog Entries

Re: 2 week old baby killed by dog

Oh. My. Gosh. This is soo sooo tragic. My heart goes out to this family.... I don't really know what to say. My parents had a family dog for a few years before I was born, and when I was born and brought into the house my dad said she treated me as if I was her own... she was a doberman, too...
    I don't think anyone is at fault here. Maybe the dog was jealous or confused? Not sure but its tragic. I love babies and I love dogs... so so sad
    <3 Chloe

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

ok, why did you have to bring me down on a friday night? too too sad

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ksejr1 View Post
    ok, why did you have to bring me down on a friday night? too too sad

Sorry!!!
    it's 2pm saturday for me!

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz

• no flash photography...

This is not the first time this has happened. A Siberian husky had killed an infant when my child was a baby or right before she was born.

It is very sad, but if you are going to introduce a dog to a baby you do it before they are born. Training the dog not to go near the baby things. Once the baby is home you have to still train the dog by using something of the babies and training it not to go near it. Personally I think taking the dog out of the house was a bad idea. I feel for the family. that would be an awful thing to have happen.

They say the dogs are not trying to hurt the baby. they are trying to mother them. Dogs pick up their young by the scruff of the neck. It just doesn't work to well with human babies.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

Quote Originally Posted by tassie View Post
    Sorry!!!
    it's 2pm saturday for me!
    its ok. it's good to know the kinds of things that can happen with a dog around. those poor parents

• She was sweet as a peach

Whenever our dog was around our daughter, we were always right there. The dog never had a chance to be alone with the baby. When she was sleeping, she was always in a place that was not accessable by the pets.
    I do feel really bad for the parents.

Thumbs down Re: 2 week old baby killed by dog

Isn't it sad how dog attacks keep happening, but parents won't learn?

No matter if it's a baby or adult- it's NOT the dogs fault. The parents are to blame. I can not believe they would allow any animal around a baby unable to defend itself. I know it might sound like I have no feelings for the parents but I do, it's just that I've seen news stories like this one way too many times to keep feeling bad for people who are at fault. They wouldn't put a loaded gun near the baby, so why is a giant dog ok?

Yes it is very sad and I hope (someday soon!) people will get the message. I have also been attacked by a dog so that could have something to do with my harder feelings as well.
    -Wes

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I feel bad for the parents. But lets remember most dogs are sweet and loving.

The worst child death story I heard on the radio happened weeks ago when a four year old fell 450 feet to her death at the Grand Canyon. Now that is definatly terribly sad.

Watch a news video here.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    I feel bad for the parents. But lets remember most dogs are sweet and loving.

The worst child death story I heard on the radio happened weeks ago when a four year old fell 450 feet to her death at the Grand Canyon. Now that is definatly terribly sad.

Watch a news video here.

When we were at the GC, we couldn't BELIEVE how many people wwre climbing over the fence. so i'm not surprised by that either. we actually said "I wonder how many had died being stupid. they have a cemetry there, but we didn't see who was buried there.

this was another tragic event this week. some kids found a suitcase and when they opened it there was a child's body

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...l?from=mostpop
    Last edited by tassie; 10-20-2007 at 04:27 PM.

Charles M. Schulz