Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Oh my Goodness!

Re: Pictures from CPDP's trip to Dachau Concentration camp

Quote Originally Posted by fantoongal View Post
    In 2004, while on a tour of Europe with a band of So Cal students, we also visited Dachau.

Your photography captures the sedated mood of the camp very well. It is a very moving and humbling experience. Thank you for sharing it with those who don't have the opportunity and reminding us who have to never forget.
    Thank you. I'm glad (that isn't the right word - but I don't know one to express what I mean right now...) that you feel I captured the mood of the camp. I really really wanted to be able to transport those who aren't able to go to the reality of the camp. It is such a powerful experience and I really tried my best to capture that in the photos. They still don't quite do it justice - but I am touched that so many of you are touched by them. In a way this is MY memorial to the people....

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

A very important post. Thanks for sharing.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

cpdisneyprincess: To be truthful, I wasn't sure what to expect seeing such a post on such a site as this. As a person who came from an interfaith family, a Jewish mother and a Presbyterian father, who attended a Catholic high school, who identifies as Jewish and knows anti-semitism far too well in my family, I am extremely grateful you showed the many faiths that were affected and the memorials dedicated to each. Although I generally see most memorialization is generally one-sided and for good reason, I am also grateful that you represented the TOTAL picture - that MILLIONS of MANY faith traditions, creeds and philosophies were brutalized. You are to be commended. I hope others, even in my faith tradition, learn a good lesson from you. Good day, cp

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Thanks cpd.

Very eerie. My question is I know it's a museum but who wants it to stand? I know it's a frightening reminder on what can happen if hate is allowed to rule a country, but it seems to me that Jews would hate seeing it and what it represents. On the other hand if I was the country responsible for it, I'd want it to be gone as well.

Are there any other Concentration Camps still standing?

Thanks a ton for posting and thanks in advance if my questions are even answerable.

Chad

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Wow.... those pictures were wonderful. Taking them in black and white added a tangable chill to the mood. I'm glad that you are able to have the opportunity to visits such historic places while you are in Europe, and I'm especially glad you shared these particular pictures with us. When time passes its easy to forget that these things really did happen, and we need to never forget...

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Neep meep beep

Wow, that was a wonderful, well written, moving trip report. Thank you for sharing this with Micechat.

wow your pics are great! the photographer in you captured great moments. very powerful indeed.

• Oh my Goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Thanks cpd.

Very eerie. My question is I know it's a museum but who wants it to stand? I know it's a frightening reminder on what can happen if hate is allowed to rule a country, but it seems to me that Jews would hate seeing it and what it represents. On the other hand if I was the country responsible for it, I'd want it to be gone as well.

Thanks a ton for posting and thanks in advance if my questions are even answerable.

Chad
    Well - I think Dachau and many of the other Concentration Camps are still standing because it is a way to respect and honor those who died such horrid deaths in those places - a way to not let their deaths go unnoticed. I think if the camps were to be torn down the reality of what happened would fade with time - especially now that so few survivors are left - and I think that we need to be faced with the reality of what happened. We humans tend to forget what the humans who lived before us did and we make the same stupid mistakes over and over - but having places like Dachau standing forces us to remember and to see. It is more then a museum - it is a memorial. The museum part helps you to understand what happened and the gross reality of the situation. The memorial part helps you to reflect on our own humanity and the fate of those who were treated so badly. I went to the camp with two Germans and they both were very - humbled. And there was a look of shame that came into their eyes - even though they know neither of their families had anything to do w/ the Nazis. But they both wanted to go - to see. To remember.
    I hope this answered your questions - of course this is just MY idea...so... yeah.

• Membre

Thanks you for photos. I knew some, but some others are new to me.
    Very moving.

• Narnian in Disneyland

6 hours and 29 minutes from the Happiest Place on Earth

Thank you for posting these. It's interesting because I was just learning about Dachau in my Holocaust Studies class. I'm not sure that I could handle going there myself, just seeing pictures and reading about is. . . enough.

My response to why to keep places like this: in the class I'm taking, there's some emphasis on learning about the Holocaust to prevent something like it from happening again. "History repeats itself," so we should learn from history to not let certain things repeat.
    "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah, Zip-a-Dee-Ay,
    Home sweet home is the lesson today."

You're wrong, Brer Rabbit, why would I want to be home when I can be at Disneyland?!?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by cpdisneyprincess View Post
    Well - I think Dachau and many of the other Concentration Camps are still standing because it is a way to respect and honor those who died such horrid deaths in those places - a way to not let their deaths go unnoticed. I think if the camps were to be torn down the reality of what happened would fade with time - especially now that so few survivors are left - and I think that we need to be faced with the reality of what happened. We humans tend to forget what the humans who lived before us did and we make the same stupid mistakes over and over - but having places like Dachau standing forces us to remember and to see. It is more then a museum - it is a memorial. The museum part helps you to understand what happened and the gross reality of the situation. The memorial part helps you to reflect on our own humanity and the fate of those who were treated so badly. I went to the camp with two Germans and they both were very - humbled. And there was a look of shame that came into their eyes - even though they know neither of their families had anything to do w/ the Nazis. But they both wanted to go - to see. To remember.
    I hope this answered your questions - of course this is just MY idea...so... yeah.
    Thanks cpd, very well thought out.

I understand the rememberence and paying tribute. I guess it seems like if you killed someone in a car crash and keeping the car in your front yard. It would make me sick and the family of the deceased would constantly be reminded.

Either way thanks for taking the time posing the photos cpd. As powerful as the pictures were, I can only imagine being there.

Chad

Thanks for those, sad indeed.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Thanks cpd.

Chad
    Chad, I saw a very moving video a few months ago about a jewish woman who went thru the concentration camp, lost all her family, and suffered greatly. She was asked, should we keep this as a reminder of the horrific suffering? She answered " of course!! this is a reminder of the family we lost, of the hope that was dashed, and the pain we suffered at the hands of evil men, but it also is a reminder of the victory we won in our freedom, and that the world will never forget those lost and those who lived !!
    If we erase all the concentration camps, how will the world remeber, and more importantly, the children of the future will not know or see, what they went thru .

Quote Originally Posted by cpdisneyprincess View Post
    So wonderfully put!!
    My grand mother was a russian jew, she ran with her family for there lives, and changed there names when they entered US soil, and did not tell anyone they were jewish until on my grand mothers death bed a few years ago did she tell my mom she was jewish. She suffered greatly, as did her whole family.
    Reading this made me sob, it was so touching and so sad. I cried for the ashes still in the furnaces, I cried for the lost who never grew up, or old. I cried for the old who were not strong enough . I cried for the suffering and for it all. Thank you, for posting this , it brought home the reality of the hirrific suffering that happened, and can not be forgotten!!

• Minion

Thank you for the very moving pictures and report.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    Chad, I saw a very moving video a few months ago about a jewish woman who went thru the concentration camp, lost all her family, and suffered greatly. She was asked, should we keep this as a reminder of the horrific suffering? She answered " of course!! this is a reminder of the family we lost, of the hope that was dashed, and the pain we suffered at the hands of evil men, but it also is a reminder of the victory we won in our freedom, and that the world will never forget those lost and those who lived !!
    If we erase all the concentration camps, how will the world remeber, and more importantly, the children of the future will not know or see, what they went thru .
    Thanks Karla, excellent story and explanation.

For some people it's very tough to understand being reminded of sure horror. For others, it comforts them to know that others can learn from the misfortunes. That story makes a lot of sense. I guess it's so tough for those that choose to forget and those who need to remember, to see each other's point of view. Neither is right or wrong, crappy situations make for tough decisions.

Chad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast