Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Daylight Savings Time

.......... is next week. Don't forget to set your clocks back one hour!!! Just a reminder.

It's weird, my clock on my computer set it's clock back one hour back to 1 AM right now. Odd.

• Minion

Re: Daylight Savings Time

..... and most of australia gets ready to start!! My state doesn't DO daylight savings time

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

Personally, I wish our government would abolish "Daylight Saving Time."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa3467 View Post
    Personally, I wish our government would abolish "Daylight Saving Time."

I have to agree. Is there an actual reason for it? There is only one thing I like about it you gain one hour of sleep!
    Har har har

• My girls: Ariel & Aurora

Normally DST happens this week but starting this year, they pushed it back to Nov 4th. Why? I know there's a valid reason but I can't remember off-hand.

*snoops around the web*

This move back to Standard Time -- from Daylight Saving Time, or DST -- takes effect at 2 a.m. the first Sunday in November, rather than the last Sunday in October. The change is part of a break in long-standing pattern.

For that, you can thank the U.S. Energy Policy Act of 2005. To save energy, U.S. legislators set the stage then for 34 weeks of DST, beginning this year.
    Because of a quirk in the calendar, the DST period will stretch to 35 weeks in 2008.
    North American clocks had for many years usually been set to DST for 30 weeks or less, on occasion as few as 26.
    - Dolores in PA, Mother of Two Disney Princesses

"Why is the Rum gone?"

Is it November 23, 2013 yet?

Our last visit was in November 2011

~ Our next family vacation is during Thanksgiving week 2013 ~
    November 23, 2013 - December 1, 2013

"Just make believe you’re a tiny little seed,
    a tiny little seed that’s reaching up to meet your need.
    With the right amount of faith and the right amount of earth
    you’ll grow to see the sunshine on your day of birth.
    Let’s listen to the land we all love.
    Nature’s plan will shine above.
    Listen to the land, listen to the land."

I would not be at all surprised if their energy consumption studies found that the energy saved by households turning on lights later in the day due to the "extra hour" of sunlight in the evening was used up by the "extra hour" of darkness in the morning. Plus, many businesses use artificial lighting regardless of what light conditions are outside; the way many commercial and industrial buildings are designed, windows can't provide enough light, even during the day.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    It's weird, my clock on my computer set it's clock back one hour back to 1 AM right now. Odd.
    As was stated, the switch time was changed and your computer does not know that.

I about had a heart attack this morning. The time clock where I work has rolled back already. My time card was punched as "4:20 AM" and I thought I was there an hour early. Then I remembered the change and was upset I could not take a nap.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I forgot to turn off DST on my VHS machine (yes, I'm old fashion, I still tape the occasional show on VHS). I came out this morning to see it back one hour and remembered.

I think when we sprung forward last Spring earlier than normal there was a big fuss about it and it was said that the energy saved was nil. One news report was about the increased gas use.

In a bid to save energy, Congress moved up daylight-saving time by three weeks this year. But so far, the change appears to have backfired after Americans last month used record amounts of gasoline as they got out to enjoy the extra hour of sunshine. Average daily gasoline demand for the three weeks after the time change rose 2.8% from the same period a year ago and was the highest ever for the period, according to the Energy Department.
    Source

The other news item was from Reuters but that article is no longer available. In essence it said that turning the clocks forward three weeks early has had no "measurable impact" on energy use one way or another. Congress will "evaluate the effects" of the early switch. I know I have been using my lights in the morning to see what I'm doing.

I for one do not like it

• For You!

I actually have a calendar that stated DST was today - so I set my clock back. But, when I got up I noticed that my computer and satellite clock hadn't changed. It never fails, I always screw up daylight savings one way or the other.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincessMom View Post
    Normally DST happens this week but starting this year, they pushed it back to Nov 4th. Why? I know there's a valid reason but I can't remember off-hand.

*snoops around the web*

Yeah, I still can't figure out why the reason. What the heck does long standard pattern mean? Just more daylight?

• Bring Me Two Piña Coladas

This is totally inconvenient...

Some things turned back one hour, other things didn't!

What in tarnation is going on?!?!?!

This is totally unnecessary! Now I have to go and fix the things that did turn back, because they did it when it was supposed to.... UGH!
    Three-time MVP Larry Bird, noting that Bryant has been the NBA's premier player for years, told Sports Illustrated's Dan Patrick before this week's announcement, "When someone told me the other day that Kobe hadn't won an MVP trophy, it sort of made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away."

• I'm baaaaccckkk!

Blog Entries

My mac turned back an hour, but my PC stayed the same...
    <3 Chloe

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Here's a question: Why is it called Standard Time when Daylight Time lasts longer? There are 52 weeks in a year. It was 26-30 weeks of Daylight time (26 is half of 52) and is now 34.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    If you have a PC it's because you haven't updated your security patches from Microsoft in a LONG time - if at all. Not good.. If you had updated, DST would not be an issue. Nor would you be risking your security.

http://www.update.microsoft.com/

If you have a Mac - who knows - you may have to figure it out for yourself - or consult your "guru" or "genius" or whatever...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

I feel so hungry tonight because of the DST. My stomach keeps on rumbling . . .
    The happiest place on Earth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast