Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Incognito

Blog Entries

O'nut does the mid-Atlantic - DE/PA/MD

I took a long weekend trip to visit my friend that lives in Delaware this past weekend, saw some sites, thought I'd share.

Sunday we drove to Frederick, MD and had some lunch and walked around. No photos, sorry. IMHO it wasn't photo-worthy

Next up we headed to the Antietem Battlefield, about 30ish miles away. Site of the bloodiest one day battle in American History. Some 23,000 soldiers were killed on this Civil War battlefield on Sept. 17, 1862. It was somber driving around, getting out of the car and seeing the places where so many men were killed.

Here's a couple of shots from the visitors center.

Dunker Church, which housed many wounded and dead soldiers. It's said the walls and floors were completely red with blood.

The Bloody Cornfield, site of the first battle that day.

The next two shots are of the Bloody Lane, a sunken road which ended up to be another pivotal battle. The lane ended up being filled with about 5,600 dead soldiers.

Finally we have Burnside Bridge.
    In this picture we see the bridge from a small hill. Right below where I took the picture is a shallow hole where Confederate soldiers held off a large army of Union soldiers acreoss the creek.

The bridge.

Well, this was Sunday for ya. Next up, we have Monday.

• Again! Again! Again!

Re: O'nut does the mid-Atlantic - DE/PA/MD

Great pics Matt! It's surreal being on the old battlefields isn't it? Glad you had a good time!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Circle of Ancients

Awesome pictures O'nut.

We are planning on going back east to do some theme parks next summer, but I want to also take a few days to see things like this as well. I'm putting this on the list.

• Delawarean Girl

Very nice pictures O'nut. A couple of them, would make great postcards.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Monday we headed down to Delaware City, thinking it'd be a cute little town we could have lunch in. Turns out, it had one restaurant and it was closed No pictures of this town!!

We did walk around Fort DuPont nearby and I thought I had take photos, but apparently I didn't. Nothing much to write home about here to be honest, so lets move on to Pennsylvania shall we?

We decided to check out Longwood Gardens, the "away" home for the DuPont family back in the day. It sort of reminded me of the Huntington Gardens here in the L.A. area.

Some pretty autumnal scenes.

Pretty gazebo-like structure next to a pond that reminded me of the building that survived the atomic blast at Hiroshima.

Me and the gazebo-like Hiroshima structure.

I think this is my favorite photo ever! I don't know why, but I just love it.

The DuPont "vacation" home.

Mr. DuPont built this Chime Tower modeled after a tower he saw in France. It was pretty cool. The lake/pond next to it was drained as they were setting up a temporary ice skating rink for the holiday season. Pretty cool place to go ice skating.

The inside of the Conservatory. It was the Festival of Chrysanthamums, as you can see. Those in the foreground were HUGE! Bigger than softballs.

This lady just couldn't hold her morning coffee any longer.

There ya have it. My whirlwind trip to the mid-Atlantic. Sorry I didn't have any more photos, but you get the gist of it.

It was such a treat for me to actually SEE some fall foliage for a change. The colors on some of the trees, simply amazing. If you've never see fall foliage, I highly recommend taking a trip back east to see it.

• For You!

Beautiful place!!!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Delawarean Girl

So pretty. I haven't been to "Longwood Gardens", in a very long time. I have been told it's nicer around Christmas.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I have never seen been back east during fall colors and your pictures are just amazing to me. Thanks for sharing them.

• Senior Minion

Beautiful, really nice to see a true fall, O- Nut. The leafy textures and colors are gorgeous.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Just wonderful.

The fall colors remind me of my youth on the east coast. Thanks for the beautiful photos and for jogging some happy memories out of the corners of my brain.

Lu
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton

• Minion

beautiful!!!!

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Tassie, I found a quote for ya !

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Charles M. Schulz
    Originally Posted by MWalton
    Did the pages take that long to reach around to your part of the world?!?

• Happy Memories

Beautiful!! I've only traveled in that area during the summer months, so it's nice to see how amazing it is with all the fall colors and stuff.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I've always had a 'thing' for touring the Civil War battlefields...even making a pitstop while driving through Gettysburg this past August. Antietam is historic and quite beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Great pictures! It is certainly beautiful back there! And its nice to actually see some fall color as someone mentioned since we don't really get a "real" fall around here!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Nice pics!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast