• Banned User

Toy Recall: Aqua Dots

The toy lots of kids want this season can convert to a date rape drug ?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21683347/

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A popular toy that just about every child wants should be taken out of their hands immediately.
    A children's toy being pulled from shelves Wednesday evening after it was discovered that it contains a chemical that converts into the date rape drug if swallowed.
    Aqua Dots are a Chinese made art toy that allows you to arrange color beads and fuse them together with water. Wednesday stores like Target and Walmart are taking them off the shelves and the government is recalling millions of the packets.
    The problem is scientists said the beads contain a chemical that the human body metabolizes into the so-called date rape drug gamma hydroxy butyrate. When eaten, the compound made from common and easily available ingredients can induce unconsciousness, seizures, drowsiness, coma and death.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08074.html
    Spin Master Recalls Aqua Dots – Children Became Unconscious After Swallowing Beads

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.
    Name of Product: Aqua Dots
    Units: About 4.2 million
    Distributor: Spin Master, of Toronto, Canada
    Hazard: The coating on the beads that causes the beads to stick to each other when water is added contains a chemical that can turn toxic when many are ingested. Children who swallow the beads can become comatose, develop respiratory depression, or have seizures.
    Incidents/Injuries: CPSC has received two reports over the past several days of children swallowing Aqua Dots. A 20-month-old child swallowed several dozen beads. He became dizzy and vomited several times before slipping into a comatose state for a period of time, was hospitalized, and has since fully recovered. A second child also vomited and slipped into a comatose state and was hospitalized for five days.
    Description: The recalled toy is a craft kit which allows children to create various multi-dimensional designs using small colored beads. The beads fuse together when sprayed with water. The recall applies to all models of Aqua Dots. The product is available in various different kits with accessories such as a drying fan, applicator pen, design templates for the beads, and spray bottle. The product is labeled for ages 4+.
    Sold at: Mass merchandisers nationwide from April 2007 through November 2007 for between $17 and $30.
    Manufactured in: China

• Minion

Re: Toy Recall: Aqua Dots

One recall happend and then theres hundreds! Whats going on with so many recalls out of the blue?!?!
    Har har har

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Okay maybe it's Kim thinking, but fuse beads are so much better than those and they aren't a date rape drug.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Proof, again, that making money by going cheap (ie, having things made in a different country where laws, apparently, are slack) is NOT going to be a smart move.

Peace?
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Banned User

I just heard they were recalled a few months before the usa!!
    so far china's toys are a death trap. also those who are suposed to test toys and make sure they are safe. just came clean and said they do not test any ! that they leave the manufactures to do so also this will float your boat and tick you off. I just found out there is no mandate that keeps lead out of the kids toys !! yep, your kids toy can have any amount of lead in them and there not taken off the market.
    so far no one is talking about these toys, and why the USA is allowing un tested toys to go right to the shelves.
    OMG these things are harming our kids!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I'm telling ya, Santa's gonna leave a lump of coal in the stockings of many big business toy makers this year.

I have no sympathy for the toy makers because they need to know what's being used to make the stuff they sell.

I only feel bad for the store merchants and shoppers. They are the victims.

• A New Kind Of Villain

Cheapest... drugs... EVER!

I totally lucked out and was able to score a whole batch earlier!

Now to figure out dosages and par-tay at my place!!!
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sadako View Post
    Cheapest... drugs... EVER!

I totally lucked out and was able to score a whole batch earlier!

Now to figure out dosages and par-tay at my place!!!
    Dude, the kids already know somethings off with them.

Problem with all these things: kids are oral. Kids put random junk in their mouthes. Just today two 6 year olds, who should have known better, drew on their hands with markers and then licked off the entire drawing. Entire drawing. All these toys are bad if they go into the kids mouthes. The biggest DUH-moment...

• WARNING!

This has been a difficult and disturbing year for all toy manufactures but I must say that although some companies have had problems with the monitoring of the safety and quality of their product coming out of the far east, others have done an outstanding job of keeping consumer safety a number-1 priority.

•   
    • So fetch

Lil LL asked for aqua dots earlier this year after seeing a commercial. I said hell no because aqua dots looked cheap and crappy. It pays off being a toy snob.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by LuvsLilo View Post
    Lil LL asked for aqua dots earlier this year after seeing a commercial. I said hell no because aqua dots looked cheap and crappy. It pays off being a toy snob.

You saved a life!
    Har har har

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by LuvsLilo View Post
    exactly, what a bunch of crap there throwing out to these kids these days!

This explains why I woke up this morning next to the Toys R Us giraffe mascot.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Opus, giraffes have big long purple... tongues.

I am kinda' tempted to go lick some of the aqua dots at work today.