Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Man O Lantern

One time. At band camp?

Do you have any sleep away camp stories to share with me today, as I pack my ten year old's bags for camp???

I'm freaking out!! Her first overnight camp and she's on the cusp of solid tween-hood, she can SO easily go to the dark side right now. I am already set with the knowledge that she's going to come back a complete foreigner to me.....talking weird, acting like she's way cooler than she actually is, ignoring her sisters, rolling her eyes at us. I am expecting the worst.

But then I'm forgetting HOW MUCH FUN she's going to have!! I know she's going to have a blast. The camp has a lake, a nearby stream, a heated pool, horses, crafts, etc. It's in a beautiful location and has gorgeous facilities. But really, camp is more of a social hierarchy than real life, and that frightens the heck out of me. I don't want a pod person coming back home.

So tell me stories.....good stories....about your experiences at camp!!

Remember.....it's my daughter.....my oldest daughter, but still my baby girl, so pleeeease don't tell me about you and your flute.

• Minion

Re: One time. At band camp?

haha but what if it's true if i do play the flute??

your title got me in here, i'm in my high school band, and ironically play said instrument. :P

camp is fun. i'm not an outdoorsy person at ALL but i was always a fan of horses and crafts

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

I never got to go to camp, at least not without my parents. How long is she going for? I think it's awesome and hey, she has to turn into a pod person sometime, it's a rite of tween-hood, right? Might as well get it over with now. If this were my 11-year-old I would be freaking OUT right now, wanting to go along with her and worrying about the same things you are worrying about. You said "sisters" I never asked how many kids you had, how many are girls, any boys??

She's going to have fun and I'll hope she comes home having missed you all and filled with wonderful, warm stories to share with you all! I hope she has fun!!

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• Hooterville, USA

Take it easy. Your mind is going wild on you. She'll have a great time and someday she's gonna leave the nest too! But right now it's just camp.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Man O Lantern

I have all girls. Three girls. Ack. Juuuuust a touch of drama around here when they're all home....which is like....never.

She's going to have fun. But this is it. This is when mommy's little girl turns into a distant little brat. Right now I'm still cool. Next week?? I'm old and stupid and WAY uncool. I'm not ready!!! I keep telling myself it's only six nights....but that's forever at camp. At camp, you become best friends with strangers, "date" and break up with as many as five boys, have massive battles with a group of girls, find your twin (oops, that's Parent Trap), then make up with the group of girls.....it's all so socially emotional for girls at this age. She's always been this calm little boat in a storm of emotional friends.....I'd hate to have her ever get caught up in anything, or picked on (she's never once been bullied, we've been extremely lucky), or left out or sad......or.....or......

Okay. Must stop thinking.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    Okay. Must stop thinking.
    Awww, she will be just fine. You both will. You will all go on to live long and happy lives and many years from now, when your booty is 4 times it's current size, she'll send her daughter off to camp and you'll be telling her it will be fine.

I have 3 girls, too, did I tell you that? 11, 6 and 2... all of their names start with an "A" and that's why my username is All Aglow, as in All my A's make me Glow. Don't you feel more fulfilled now?

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth."
    Mark Twain

• Man O Lantern

I didn't know that!!!

All mine start with C, and that's why my name is stinkerbell. Wait. No. It's cause they stink??

No, really, that's what we used to call my middle daughter who used to wear her Tink costume constantly....stinkerbell and it stuck!!! Then somehow I became stinkerbell. And now she's into Darth Vader.

• insufferable know-it-all

Stink: give her a deck of cards. Late night card games before lights out rock. Also, a pair of flip-flops (I hesitate to call them thongs now, though that's the word I always had for them) for the showers.

She'll have a good time, you'll have a week off

And my guess is, she'll be nowhere near boys.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• For old time sake

Stink, she will have a great time. I want to tell you not to worry but being that you are her mother, i know that you will and I am glad to see that. Because it shows how much you care. These times for you are no doubt bittersweet.

I went to camp once. I think I was in 3rd grade, so i am not sure how this will relate being that I think your daughter is a tad older if I am not mistaken. Our first day was spent going to the beach (I remember there were alot of rocks in the water so when the waves would crash your feet were pounded by pebbles) and we also went to Sea World. I was mad because my friend got picked to hug Shamu.

Camp was filled with silly songs, crafts, nature hikes and warnings of snakes (ACK), oh and salad with italian dressing EVERY NIGHT!!!! It was great!!!! sadly my total memory of the trip fails me but I remember it was really pretty where we stayed!!! And one of my cabin mates went home early cause she was homesick. That was sad.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Man O Lantern

Thanks! I need to chill out! I just remember what an emotional rollercoaster it was, as well. She's going into fifth grade....and it starts so early, all that girl gang stuff. Ugh.

But she's always been above it before.....she's the sweetest thing. She can't wait to ride the horses and swim (which is hilarious, cause she's in the neighborhood pool six days a week for swim team!).

I need to chill. Thanks!!

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Oh this just reminds me of stories from my South Island tour...you would all get great joy from them. But Unfortunately they aren't appropritate for the board. So you are all just going to have to be dissapointed.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Minion

Talking Re: One time. At band camp?

i went to summer camp every year till i was 14. it was a blast. one year, my pesky little brother went. it was total war, and we involved all the camps. we were divided into boys camp on one side, girls on the other and all the activities and mess hall in the middle. it was a huge compound, with fishing, canoeing, boating, archery, trails, nature zoo, poison garden, swimmin' holes, you name it! anyhow my brothers camp raided my girls camp when we were at girls night out. he and his evil cronies ran my training bras and granny panties up the flagpole so in the morning, they were flying for all to see. the next night, we went and patched all the holes in their tents with toothpaste.well, later in the day, the sun beats down, and it becomes liquid glue raining in the tent. then his group upped the ante by releasing the nature zoos snakes into the girls bathroom. what they didn;'t realize is they let loose FREAKIN RATTLESNAKES! they were grounded the rest of the trip and we rubbed it in every chance we got. they had to serve and clean the mess hall after every meal and scrub toilets, mop... ha ha ha it's been almost 20 years and i still take pleasure in it... but it was some of the best times ever! the first year i went i was 7 and we had an angry squirrel that lived above the tent i was assigned to. everytime anyone would go by the tree above my tent, they would get pelted in the head with a pebble, acorn shell, anything he could get his evil little hands on. he had excellent aim and i had a lumpy head the whole trip. i managed to snap a picure of him, and i still have it somewhere.

your child is going to have an amazing time!
    please be afraid.

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

stink, here's my two cents:
    'Tween girls are beeeyotchy! Their hormones are out of control; hence the eyerolling and emotional outbursts. Honestly, my 2nd daughter (almost 11yrs) has actually said: I can't help it! when she's acting like a beeyotch. The older one was a wreck at that age too. So what I'm sayin' is; if she comes back from camp acting snooty, it may just be coincidence. ha ha!

I wish you both luck!
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

When I was eleven, my parents banished me to a Christian campout on Catalina island for a whole week over the 4th of July. They hadn't consulted me beforehand, just announced that I was going. I was so angry! I fought with my parents for weeks before I went. Naturally, I had an awesome time, but I never forgave my parents for sending me away over the 4th of July holiday. There were no fireworks on the island, so we spent that night on the beach, watching fireworks 26 miles away on the mainland.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Awww Stink I hope she has a wonderful time and I hope you make it through the week without her

I had forgotten how many of us have 10/11 year olds around here and of course poor Kyler is the only boy

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast