View Poll Results: How do you prefer to give gifts?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Give people a list/have people give you a list?

5 18.52%
  • See something that makes you think of the person?

22 81.48%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Man O Lantern

Re: holiday gift giving

I'm at the point that I like to be asked what I want and then given it. I don't need knickknack crappy stuff laying around the house anymore. I hate it when people waste money on something I won't like or use. I'm way too practical when receiving gifts. I'm a pain in the butt and people rarely get it right.

That said--I'm not asking people what they want this year. I've already commissioned my crafty friend to make personalized set of greeting cards for my stepmom, mother and sister in law, and my sister. And I've commissioned my jewelry making friend to make necklaces and jewelry for them as well. Their men will get gift cards. My mom is getting Seasons 1-4 of Gilmore Girls and personalized cards.

• is on the rocks

I'm kind of like stinkerbell. I dunno, I guess I'm just too pragmatic/practical, but after getting all kinds of crap from (hopefully) well meaning friends and relatives, I give subtle, to not-so-subtle hints, to outright telling people what I like. And the same goes the other way. Except for a couple of no-brainers, I'm really bad with gift giving. I could find something I'm positive the receiver will go nuts over, and then I find out, not so much. So yeah - just tell me. Hubby and I give each other gift lists - that way, we're sure to get something the other person will like, but there's still an element of surprise.

And I don't mind gift cards either. Especially if it's for a store I really like. To me, that implies more thought than just giving cash.
    She did it!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    And I know she'd never say "Kim, get me this!"
    Exactly! This is true gift giving! Well done Kim!

As for gift cards, I loved those when I received them from my students and/or their parents. SO much better than another mug or gift pack of smelly lotions. (though I always appreciated their thought).

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    Exactly! This is true gift giving! Well done Kim!

As for gift cards, I loved those when I received them from my students and/or their parents. SO much better than another mug or gift pack of smelly lotions. (though I always appreciated their thought).
    Dude now I just need to sit and keep my mouth shut. I love finding great things, but I can't hold a surprise to save my life.

It's sweet when parents or kids try to get you something and it's not a great fit but there's an attempt. A family got me at toddler graduation, a gift basket from Bath and Body Works of all their sleepy stuff (so the lotion, body wash, oil, etc). Why? Apparently their daughter's first full sentence was "Miss Kim likes nap!" I fell asleep while patting her to bed one time.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

The only people I do the list thing for is my kids. We make a list of what they want and send it to my family.

And even then its only because they ask for lists
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12