View Poll Results: How do you prefer to give gifts?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Give people a list/have people give you a list?

5 18.52%
  • See something that makes you think of the person?

22 81.48%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

holiday gift giving

When it comes to gift giving, do you tell people what you want or have them ask you? Or would you rather someone get you something you aren't expecting and appreciate it for the thought that the person put into it?

I've learned that when people ask me what I want, I draw a blank. It's hard for me to ask for things and to tell someone what to buy me. It makes it almost feel like they're just buying me something for the sake of buying me something. I'd rather have someone see something in a store and think of me and decide that they need to get it for me.

Also, I don't really do well when people tell me what they want, I'd rather get them something that made me think of them.

I know that this creates the possibility of some gifts being unwanted by whomever is receiving it, but I like to think it's the thought that counted.

What do you all think?

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Banned User

Re: holiday gift giving

you hit the nail on the head! to give from your heart, thats the true gift. and I also do not know what to say when people ask me what I want. heck if you have to ask then its not worth the gift.
    I want to be suprised, and I want to suprise who I give to.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I am with you Anders: I feel weird when people ask "what do you want for Christmas?" I freeze. And then I hear the whine "you're the hardest person on my list to shop for" (I get this a lot). But once people get me, they get me. This leads to the possibililty of the seasonal sweater or vest (and with my profession that's always something I could get). But it also leads to the possibility of getting the best Christmas ever: a pair of in my class last year gave me a Christmas orntament shaped like a Christmas tree with little candies covering it with the names of everyone in my class on those candies and then the kids had their mom write "Miss Kim is nice." I couldn't ask for that... made me cry.

I don't like it when people say "get me this for Christmas/Hannukah." But this is because I make my gifts, so for me that's a little annoying.

• I'm baaaaccckkk!

Blog Entries

I, too prefer for people to get me whatever they see fit rather than asking me what I want. There's never really anything that I want so it's a hard question for me to answer, and I just like the surprise and sweetness of knowing that someone picked something out for me and really thought it through. It's the same the other way around. I like to get people what I think they would want or what makes me think of them...
    <3 Chloe

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I am half and half. I ask if there is anything they want or need, and if no, I use the best guess and try to find the best gift for the person. i mean, it should be that way- with thought involved.
    I also don't usually tell anyone what I specifically want, but I hint at it (if there is something I want) and see if they get it. Unless they specifically ask me and there is something I truly want that I know is in their price range. Than I may say.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I go by the half and half method too. If I come across something that screams a specific person I try and get that for them. For my kids, my little brother(he's 17) and nephew I usually ask what they want. For me, if someone asks for specifics...my dad every year, I've gotten to the point of just telling him Sephora. Makes it easy on him and me

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

I do the hinting thing too I wanna be surprised, but I want to be pleasantly surprised.

I also enjoy giving a gift I just KNOW someone's going to love and didn't expect.

But I do request that my kids make wish lists. Makes it even better when they forget to write down something I know they've been jonesing for!
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jennidisneyfer View Post
    But I do request that my kids make wish lists. Makes it even better when they forget to write down something I know they've been jonesing for!
    That is just THE BEST

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    I feel weird when people ask "what do you want for Christmas?" I freeze. And then I hear the whine "you're the hardest person on my list to shop for" (I get this a lot).

I hear those exact words EVERY year.

I prefer to just get them what they wanted. Because why pay for something that they won't use? You still put thought into it, cause you had to think about gosh I'm really spending this much for this person. Im j/k.

But I do see how someone could want to buy somebody else something they think they would like.
    Har har har

• A Pirate's life for me!

Being a little long in the tooth, and having four kids, I enjoy the gifts that the kids make themselves to give to me. I had my fill of useful/practical (and unpractical) gifts over the years. I now appreciate the gifts from the heart.

I much prefer a homemade gift (family picture w/homemade decorated frame, painted coffee mug, homemade Christmas cards, etc...) from the kids than anything else.

Like I said, I'm getting a little long in the tooth...

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    Being a little long in the tooth, and having four kids, I enjoy the gifts that the kids make themselves to give to me. I had my fill of useful/practical (and unpractical) gifts over the years. I now appreciate the gifts from the heart.

I much prefer a homemade gift (family picture w/homemade decorated frame, painted coffee mug, homemade Christmas cards, etc...) from the kids than anything else.

Like I said, I'm getting a little long in the tooth...
    I am the same way.. love these type of gifts from the kids

and others are well

anything homemade to me.. if coming from that persons heart

Friends for life

• Winter in Oceanside...

I really don't NEED anything, so it is nice when someone give me something that they think I'll like. Even if I don't need whatever they gave me, I know they put some thought into it, and that is what really counts.

I can BUY what I need. Kind of like gift cards. You might as well give me cash.

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY View Post
    I really don't NEED anything, so it is nice when someone give me something that they think I'll like. Even if I don't need whatever they gave me, I know they put some thought into it, and that is what really counts.

I can BUY what I need. Kind of like gift cards. You might as well give me cash.
    I like gift cards

Except when my (now ex-) husband gave them to me. He was the breadwinner so that was kind of.... lame. I mean, if I wanted to buy something, I used his money anyway. Der!
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I have the hardest time buying gifts for people, even those I am close to. I like to get lists, and then if I see something wonderful that's not on the list, I'll get it, but usually I am woefully uninspired.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garbear View Post
    I hear those exact words EVERY year.

I prefer to just get them what they wanted. Because why pay for something that they won't use? You still put thought into it, cause you had to think about gosh I'm really spending this much for this person. Im j/k.

But I do see how someone could want to buy somebody else something they think they would like.
    My thing is: once you know me I am the easiest person in the world to shop for! Buy me yarn! Craft supplies! Not journals, not fancy journals. Buy me pens!

Maybe it's because I try to be insightful I like searching for the perfect gift. I found a bracelet for my friend for Hannukah that says this amazing quote (about being kind) written in Hebrew. I ordered it today. And I know she'd never say "Kim, get me this!" But it'll make her smile. Same with my sister. Found at the thrift store a flour sack that had this great design, a placemat with a cool design, and had scrap fabric with a funky print (all the same color scheme. Black, white, and red). Made it into my a purse (bag), wallet (placemat), and tampon holder (scrap fabric). She told me like a week ago "I need a matching purse wallet set." It's been done sitting in my craft area for a month, all matches, and it has suede handles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast