• Incognito

Blog Entries

Thanksgiving memories of yore

Tis the week for giving thanks for, well, whatever the heck you want to give thanks for!

I was pondering my own Thanksgivings from long ago. My main memory being our trips to Scottsdale AZ to visit my cousins.

I would always get the day before T-giving off, so that we could spend the day driving there. This all started in 1975 when they moved from Whittier to Scottsdale (our family was very close with them, so for them to leave the state was hard for us).

Anyway that drive was so long, especially since it was 55mph (dad drove 60) and back then, I-10 ended at the western outskirts of Phoenix about 50ish miles away from their house on the far end of Scottsdale. We'd leave our house by 7am and not arrive to their place until after 4pm. Remember, back then there were no cd or Walkman players, no video games and hardly radio in the middle of the desert. So all I got were coloring books and other things to read. F-U-N!

We'd always stop in Indio for breakfast at Dennys, then stop in Blythe for gas and to buy Knudsons cottage cheese, because you couldn't buy Knudsons in Arizona and that was my aunts favorite kind, so we always had to buy a coolers worth of cottage cheese - .

That night was always meatloaf for dinner - BLECH! Then as we got older my cousin and I would go "out on the town" so to speak and have fun driving around, hanging with her friends.

T-giving day was always long and boring though. Inevitably we'd go to McDonalds or Jack in the Box for lunch. I remember tasting my first McChicken back in probably 1980 as they were test marketing it there.

Friday and Saturday ended up being kind of boring. We'd hit a movie or two, ride bikes around, stuff like that. Saturday's dinner was always leftovers from T-giving turned into shepherds pie (after church of course).

Then Sunday was the LONG drive home. The thing I always looked forward to was that the Hollywood Xmas Parade was on that Sunday night. Then it was Christmastime!!

So, what fond Thanksgiving memories of yore do you have?

• Mischievous Mouse

Re: Thanksgiving memories of yore

Ha, all have been about the same. But there was that one year, many years ago... the main drain in the kitchen was plugged, and plugged BUT good. I tried and tried. Then I called the the plumbers. And I waited, and I waited, I got hungry (the rest of the family went to the inlaws for dinner, I told them to go right no and eat, save me some I'll microwave it when I get there)

Then the plumbr showed up, snaked the line, the blockage was 25-30 feet down the pipe. Thanks to all that plungering I did. Kids, learn from my mistake. That was a lot of money. Over 200 bucks for 20 minutes of work.
    ('m in the wrong business)

That's my story. Not exactly Alice's restaurant, eh?

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Way back when I was a youngster I would have Thanksgiving meal at least 3 to 4 times that day. It usually started out at my mom's house where I lived most of the time around 1:00 we would have our first Thanksgiving meal. Then around 2:00 my father would pick my sister and I up and we would go see our snowbird grandfather and stepgrandmother who would have just arrived from Michigan and have the 2nd meal. By 4:00 we would be off to grandma's house for the 3rd meal. Usually my dad would drop us back at home by 7:00 and then it was time to go to my aunt's house to see our maternal grandparents for pie and of course we would be offered more turkey.

The first 5 years after I got married I had to work in a visit to the inlaws for the day. We finally decided that enough was enough and now just stay home and make our own bird or go out to eat. Either way now it is a much more relaxing holiday.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

We were renting a cabin in the mountains, funny thinking back, and there was a freak storm. My cousins and I were playing around and the cabin was weird because it had a great hill that went into a main street. That was funny... But my two step cousins, brother, and I were up in the tree house, snow on the ground, nasty mess... and a giant gust of wind blew a power line down in front of us. On the ground right below where we were. All of us were freaked. I was like 8. I remember my dad and step uncle "rescuing us" and then since the power was out all weekend, including turkey day, we made the old fashioned dinner.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Grandma got drunk & told everyone what she got them for Christmas.

Comedy.

• Artsy Fartsy

In November 1997 I was 7 1/2 months pregnant with my son. I was finally able to eat (morning sickness), and looking forward to Thanksgiving. You better belive that I was all over that food. I ate my a** off. I had no problems. The day after Thanksgiving was the same. But that night I started to feel a little weird. I told my hubby that I think I needed to go to the ER cause I thought that I had a really bad case of heartburn. He thought that I might be going into labor. It was way too early so I wasn't worried about that. By 3 AM I was somewhat convinced that I was going into labor. I went to the ER at 3:30AM and was admited to Labor and Delivery. I had my son at 5:35 Pm on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. So every Thanksgiving we retell this story for my son.

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    Way back when I was a youngster I would have Thanksgiving meal at least 3 to 4 times that day.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Grandma got drunk & told everyone what she got them for Christmas.

Comedy.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• love my friends

My best thankgsving memory includes my great granma (since i am canadian) thanksgiving was is in october.

She ws sick .. from a hip replacement surgery.. and developed pneomia.. i had always thought she would get better.. ANwyays for some reason teh hospital let her out on a day pass for thanksgiving in 1978. We had such a wonderful family dinner. She was so happy to be with family.

ANyways the next day she passed away. SO that was the last time I have ever seen her. I cherish this memory each and every day

Friends for life

• is on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    My best thankgsving memory includes my great granma (since i am canadian) thanksgiving was is in october.

She ws sick .. from a hip replacement surgery.. and developed pneomia.. i had always thought she would get better.. ANwyays for some reason teh hospital let her out on a day pass for thanksgiving in 1978. We had such a wonderful family dinner. She was so happy to be with family.

ANyways the next day she passed away. SO that was the last time I have ever seen her. I cherish this memory each and every day
    Awww, kelly - such a bittersweet story. At least she got to have one last Thanksgiving dinner with her family.

As for us - our family used to host Thanksgiving dinner for the whole extended family. My mom had her schedule all worked out. Monday, clean the house. Tuesday, bake pumpkin bread and cranberry bread, prep the veggies, make macaroni salad and potato salad. Wednesday, bake the pumpkin pies, apple pies, stuffing, broccoli casserole and get the turkey ready. Wednesday night (at around 2 am) the turkeys went into the oven for all night roasting. Thursday morning, make the gravy, green bean casserole, cook rice (hey, we're Japanese! Have to have our rice! ), bake the rolls, carve the turkey. Thursday afternoon, pig out. Thursday night, clean up.

Every year, I did more and more of the baking and cooking. My mom is "retired" from Thanksgiving duties now, and this year it will be a smaller version with just hubby, me, and my parents.
    She did it!

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Spidergrrrl View Post
    Awww, kelly - such a bittersweet story. At least she got to have one last Thanksgiving dinner with her family.

As for us - our family used to host Thanksgiving dinner for the whole extended family. My mom had her schedule all worked out. Monday, clean the house. Tuesday, bake pumpkin bread and cranberry bread, prep the veggies, make macaroni salad and potato salad. Wednesday, bake the pumpkin pies, apple pies, stuffing, broccoli casserole and get the turkey ready. Wednesday night (at around 2 am) the turkeys went into the oven for all night roasting. Thursday morning, make the gravy, green bean casserole, cook rice (hey, we're Japanese! Have to have our rice! ), bake the rolls, carve the turkey. Thursday afternoon, pig out. Thursday night, clean up.

Every year, I did more and more of the baking and cooking. My mom is "retired" from Thanksgiving duties now, and this year it will be a smaller version with just hubby, me, and my parents.

thanks spider

wow your mom was a busy lady.. that sounds like it was a wonderful thanksgiving.. alot of memories

Friends for life

• is on the rocks

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    thanks spider

wow your mom was a busy lady.. that sounds like it was a wonderful thanksgiving.. alot of memories
    You know, looking back on it all, I guess it could be considered a lot of work. But we loved it. Both my mom and I love to cook, and we loved having the family together so we didn't mind being in the kitchen for it.
    She did it!

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Spidergrrrl View Post
    You know, looking back on it all, I guess it could be considered a lot of work. But we loved it. Both my mom and I love to cook, and we loved having the family together so we didn't mind being in the kitchen for it.

that is so sweet.. i remmeber when my great grandma wa alive and well.. how she woudl spend days cooking for thanksgiving or christmas.. she loved it, when i wasd older i would be involved in it too

Friends for life

• Do You know?

My Thanksgivings have varied from Mom, Dad, my sister and I around a table happy to going out to dinner to going to Disneyland.

After my parents seperated my sister and I would either have dinner with my mom who would make this feast or go to a resturant with my dad. Over the years my mom stopped caring about the meal and if she had her way we would make steak (she is Canadian, so maybe that explains it). My dad would go to Black Angus or whatever was open on Thanksgiving. One year we decided to go to Disneyland for the long weekend and it just stuck. My sister stopped going, so eventually it was my dad and I driving down on Thanksgiving going to my Grandma's and the next morning Disneyland.

• Man O Lantern

I don't have any particular Thanksgiving memories that are very interesting. We went to my parents' friends' house two years in a row. They didn't have kids or particularly like them, so after dinner, they'd relegate my sister and me to a guest bedroom with a Raggedy Ann and Andy doll that we were not to touch. Under any circumstance.

The only thing to play with were checkers.

Fun times.

There was one turducken year.

And another year with a deep fried turkey.

The rest of the years blend together. All good memories.

.....Except the last time we went to my mom's and her mother-in-law made three jello dishes and then got mad because my kids wouldn't eat any. And I had to fight with her to make the mashed potatoes.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

We used to drive to Arizona for Thanksgiving when I was a kid. My aunt and uncle owned property in Bullhead City, back before Laughlin was an actual destination. Just like Matt, we'd load up the car and head out. We had a small station wagon at the time and we'd put the seats flat and my dad would lay out our sleeping bags for us, and then my sister and I could camp out for the drive.

One year, somebody (friend of the family?) also joined us and they brought a live turkey along for the ride. I remember seeing it in their car as we caravaned out for the weekend. Thanksgiving morning, all the kids got sent to the park to play. When we came back, there was a turkey in the oven. Our new friend! I was the oldest and I don't think any of the little kids caught on to the situation. I think they were told the turkey ran away or something.

I still remember that my mom had blood spatters on her shoes from plucking the feathers.

And I'll be darned if that wasn't the best turkey I can ever recall eating.
    A signature should go here.