Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

2007 Christmas $pending Budget??

Do any of you work with a set Christmas gift/accessory fund? If so, when all is said and done, do you manage to stay within your budget??

Me, always set the budget too low...always blow it by a few hundred dollars.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• no flash photography...

Re: 2007 Christmas $pending Budget??

I don't have a lot of people to buy for and since I don't really celebrate the holiday and buy gifts out of obligation my budget is very low and I do not go over it. if anything I go under.

• Found my prince!

I do have a budget and usually stay within it. I usually spend the same amount for everyone in my family except my parents. They get something extra since they helped me out one year when things got tough.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

We sort of spend like fiends at Christmas. We throw a party for extended family and friends and usually have 50+ people over on Christmas Eve. That and gifts for siblings, parents, kids and each other run several grand.
    Fight On! Beat the Beavers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

We have a low budget, but always over spend. This year, will be our most expensive to date as the kids are now teenagers, so clothes, iPods, Madolins, and Banjos (really) are on the list.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Not really a budget. I usually spend more than I should on presents.

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

We've set a budget this year and I kind of like it! With the "extra" paycheck we got in November (we happened to get three- 2nd, 16th, 30th) so we've taken a certian ammount out of every check for November and that is what we're spending! Also, any money I make when I Nanny for my two little darling goes towards the Christmas Fund (extra gifts, decorations, sushi... cause, you know.. sushi is a Christmas thing.

I'm excited! It's going to be a great Christmas!

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• Directly directed

I do have a budget and I usually stay in it. I've already blown it this year however and it's not even December. I'm in trouble.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

This year is different for us, since we are taking a family trip next year. We bought one big ticket item (a Wii) and that's about it for ourselves. I got my son a couple of guide books for England and a DVD, and then I'll pick up some little stocking stuffer things.

I'm pretty careful about how much I spend, have really narrowed down the shopping list, and I also don't give "obligation" gifts. We draw names in my extended family and my sister/BIL gladly opted out of exchanging gifts with us, since none of us need more stuff. My sister and I are clever though, and we'll usually get my mom tickets to go do something, which we also get to tag along for.
    A signature should go here.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    We sort of spend like fiends at Christmas. We throw a party for extended family and friends and usually have 50+ people over on Christmas Eve. That and gifts for siblings, parents, kids and each other run several grand.
    Can you adopt me ? LOL
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP. View Post
    This year is different for us, since we are taking a family trip next year. We bought one big ticket item (a Wii) and that's about it for ourselves. I got my son a couple of guide books for England and a DVD, and then I'll pick up some little stocking stuffer things.

I'm pretty careful about how much I spend, have really narrowed down the shopping list, and I also don't give "obligation" gifts. We draw names in my extended family and my sister/BIL gladly opted out of exchanging gifts with us, since none of us need more stuff. My sister and I are clever though, and we'll usually get my mom tickets to go do something, which we also get to tag along for.

We do the name drawing thing too. Dustina dn I never do the one that my Mom's side of the family does.. they all bring a gift card worth $50 and draw them. They do the stealing/White Eleplant rules, so they usually buy a gift card for a place that they like to shop at and then try to get their card back... Why bother?!

My Dad's family is going to Italy (well, just Grandma and her favorite daughter and her family) on Christmas Eve when we usually have our Christmas party.. so nothing to worry about there!

Dustin's Dad's side of the family is super scattered all over the country, so his Aunt Jeanell gets everyone's name and then she has us fill out a what-do-you like type questionaire. She draws the names for everyone and sends us the questioniare of who we're to buy for. It's fun! Dustin and I wanted to participate, but we wanted to stay on budget, so instead of each filling out a questionaire, we filled one out as a couple! I'm so thrilled with our compromise!

Do you guys usually include your Christmas cards (stamps too!) and tree in your budget?

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I've never set a budget for Christmas, but on average, I end up spending 2 -3K every year.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

We start a Christmas Club account at the bank and this helps if you go a little what you planned.

• Loves Fajita!

I do set a budget. But I try not to think of the money when I am out shopping. Just finding a goodf gift.

Most of our Christmas spending goes to eachother. Beyond our house the gifts stay pretty simple. Thoughtful... but simple.

Adding: No I dont count anything but the gifts in my budget. Stamps, cards, wrap, decor.... I leave those out of it. Maybe that is why I always feel I did a good job. I do not look at the big picture. Just what I will spend on presents.
    Last edited by LLEBREKNIT; 11-25-2007 at 10:32 PM.

• Hiding in the shadows

We set a budget and this year I am going to do my best to stick to it (I think I only went over a bit last year and that was on my kids. On Black Friday I went out knowing how much I had left in the budget for each kid and only spent accordingly (although it seems the boy will be $4 over budget because I need tyo get him a helmet and pads...but thats a Safety requirement, not really a gift I guess).

I will be over budget on hubby's gift but I can't help that because of what he wants.

Also yes, we do include our Christmas cards, holiday party and tree into the annual budget. I think next year I will start a separate fund so I dont have to worry so much about the budget right at the end of the year.

A little piece of heaven

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast