View Poll Results: Is it a smart idea for me to drive in the snow?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah.... why not?

7 70.00%
  • Don't do it!

3 30.00%
  • Where are the mountains?

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Winter driving questions for the masters

Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY View Post
    Never heard of a tire that doesn't 'need' chains...unless they are studded snow tires? Are there tiny little metal spikeys on the tire treads??
    I think she was referring to winter tires vs summer tires. Chains are an optional thing. many areas do not allow chains or studs all the time because of the extra wear on the road surfaces.

In a city area, studs actually create a new type of road dust that settles on everything near the highways.

Some keys to driving in the snow

- gradual is better then sharp. This applies to gas, brakes, and turning
    - approach all corners and intersections as if you had to avoid an accident
    - always give yourself plenty of stopping distance - its perfectly find to coast/slow/coast/slow/stop to an intersection. Don't think of braking as something you do in one step when approaching intersections or turns.

The hardest part is dealing with what you need to do there - which is control speed on hills.. going up and down. Often, there simply is no other way except momentum to get up a hill.

Just be sure to give yourself plenty of stopping distance.. do it in multiple steps.. and don't drive 'gas/brake/gas' like many idiots do. They think unless they are accelerating, they must be braking. You can coast too!

Remember... traction is required for all changes in direction... that means stopping/starting/turning. So remember when you do two of those at the same time you have less traction for each then if you did them individually.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

TP! The only scary parts were under the trees where it was shady and I was kinda' nervous of black ice.

And even my uncle was like "use the bark outside!"
    Last edited by knittingknerd; 12-02-2007 at 05:31 PM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by LLEBREKNIT View Post
    The three most important things I have learned are:

1) pump your brakes to slow down or stop... do not slam on them or you will just ski.

2) do not use your brakes heavily while turning, or you wont turn. This one I learned from experience my first time on frozen snow... hit a curb BAD. Tapping them is OK I think.

3) go as slow as you want, better safe than sorry. Clearly if you are going to hit something you would rather be doing it at a slow speed.

Getting out of our driveway can be tricky, but if I can make it out I follow these rules and they work for me.

Edit to add: Aslo stick to as many main roads as possible. More traffic breaks up the snow, makes it more slushy and wet. Side roads tend to remain slick until it warms up enough to melt.
    Everything that is said here is true. I live in Ohio, and even though we don't get much snow due to proximity to the river, we do get black ice. It was very hard for me to learn to drive in snow and black ice and I still hate it and avoid it if I can.
    But if you must go out, follow the above rules, no matter what other drivers behind you might think. Better safe than sorry. But I wish you the best of luck with it.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    Anyone want to change houses for 1 week while I enjoy the heat and you can ski?
    Gladly, Karla!!! Although, we don't have heat, we have anywhere from 30-60 in a given week. But I love snow, so i'll trade
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post

TP! The only scary parts were under the trees where it was shady and I was kinda' nervous of black ice.

And even my uncle was like "use the bark outside!"
    You're on a roll now!

Glad that you made it to the store, and that the weather and road conditions are safer - at present anyway. Hope you have a pleasant and safe week. You deserve one after what you've been thru.

Tell your uncle that he's "barking up the wrong tree" as far as his advise goes.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by LLEBREKNIT View Post
    The three most important things I have learned are:

1) pump your brakes to slow down or stop... do not slam on them or you will just ski.

2) do not use your brakes heavily while turning, or you wont turn. This one I learned from experience my first time on frozen snow... hit a curb BAD. Tapping them is OK I think.

3) go as slow as you want, better safe than sorry. Clearly if you are going to hit something you would rather be doing it at a slow speed.

Getting out of our driveway can be tricky, but if I can make it out I follow these rules and they work for me.

Edit to add: Aslo stick to as many main roads as possible. More traffic breaks up the snow, makes it more slushy and wet. Side roads tend to remain slick until it warms up enough to melt.
    This is good advice. I drove in snow for 9 years (and lived in Michigan for 25 years), so I would know. Also, with the pumping your brakes to slow/stop, you might start to skid. If you do, turn INTO the way you're skidding to try to stay in control. If you start to skid right, turn right. If you skid left, turn left.

Also, do not let your gas tank go below a half tank during the winter. If you do, you could face problems getting your car started. Also, make sure your antifreeze is topped off.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Also, do not let your gas tank go below a half tank during the winter. If you do, you could face problems getting your car started. Also, make sure your antifreeze is topped off.
    Crap... I am at a quarter tank! I put in $10 today/3 gallons because tomorrow is pay day. Normally I let my tank get super low!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

What's scarier? Black ice or browned undies?

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Well, providing she hasn't also run out of laundry detergent, I'm gonna go with Door Number Two, Bob.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

^LOL All4...good call

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

I have half a box of the type of detergent I am not allergic to. They don't sell it up here either. But I have a tiny washing machine that requires only 2 tablespoons of detergent per load. So far no plotzing! Yay! But snow is expected on Friday and Saturday. No! Boo! My goal is to get everything I need before Friday this week.... Which means fill up my tank tomorrow after work.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    I have half a box of the type of detergent I am not allergic to. They don't sell it up here either. But I have a tiny washing machine that requires only 2 tablespoons of detergent per load. So far no plotzing! Yay! But snow is expected on Friday and Saturday. No! Boo! My goal is to get everything I need before Friday this week.... Which means fill up my tank tomorrow after work.
    Did it snow?
    Be safe, and there was some awsome tips here to learn from. did you get all your suplies for the house?? Its snowed several times here, and tonight its going to be below zero again I hate the cold, but glad the bugs are gone for the next 7 months

Audry))))) I will gladly trade, but only if you are in the 70's !!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

We have about a foot up here. I am getting ready to go to a Heroes potluck up here for the firefighters. Let me just say what a small town I live in: I am posting on rimoftheworld.net and someone is like 'do you live across the street from me?" Suddenly I had a ride to this thing... A woman my folks know is driving 2 people who are freaked by the snow to this thing and the whole town is having a party.

I got supplies. I got TP last week, put it in the bathroom. We have a leak in the bathroom... yeah.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

About a foot and a half? 2 feet? Here's a picture from my driveway.

Crappy quality because I took it with my phone. But look at the driveway.... It goes down and around at a weird angle. I took that about 10 minutes ago. Some melty stuff.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123