• Still lost in Neverland

FAO Swartz Sucks

On October 30th I pre-ordered the Tonner Doll Voldemort in suit. It was to be shipped on December 4th. I called the day before to verify that it would ship and was told yes. Dec 4th came and went with no notice of shipment and nothing showing on My Account for FAO Swartz. I called again this time was told they did not ship, they do not have them, and even called back later in the day to inform me they had no idea when they would arrive. This is the doll in question:

Then I contacted Tonner Dolls and asked if they had an answer. They said that they shipped the dolls to FAO Swartz a week ago and that they definitely had them and could not understand why FAO was denying they had them. I again called FAO and the girl that answered this time said they did not have them in stock, then when I told her that Tonner said they did, she changed the story to they are in the warehousd waiting to be shipped on the 12th. I then also told her that the Tonner Rep and told me they were shipping today (which she did, I was not making it up) and again the story changed to it's in our warehouse to be shipped today with arrival scheduled to be the 12th.

After all this, and it is now as late as it is, still no email, notification or anything from FAO. I emailed back to Tonner and when navigating the site, I found this Exclusive Voldemort Doll from their Direct Store.

It is a bit more expensive, but I think this is a far better Voldemort as the above figure only appeared for about 10 seconds in one movie, and the other version has already appeared in two movies and will probably appear this way in the last two. It is in stock so I ordered this one. I called back FAO and they would not cancel the order as it's now in the warehouse and will be shipped. I can refuse the delivery and send it back, and they will refund the money, which is what I will do when it arrives. I will never do business with FAO Swartz again. Tonner is also upset over this treatment and has sent a notice to the person in charge of Tonner at FAO which is a representative store for Tonner. They are going to make sure the order I place with them is handled as promptly as possible. They are waiting for the funds to clear which should happen tomorrow. I have dealt with Tonner before and never had a problem. They are responsive and quick so I am hoping it ships soon. It is 19" high which is in scale to the 17" inch Harry, Hermoine and the 17 1/2" Ron dolls.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Re: FAO Swartz Sucks

Sorry you had a bad day and bad experience with FAO Schwartz. Their customer service seems to be really lacking.

The top one is the version of Voldemort that I thought "Dude he's a hot bad guy..." He looks like the cooler doll. The other one looks like he's wearing a dress.

It's been a bad couple of days actually. I know the top one looks very cool, but the lower one is the one we are more familiar with. If the FAO version does show up, I will have to think about returning it if it's really cool. The lower one has lots of stuff under the robes that can't be seen here. No shoes of course, but black baggy pants and a sliver colored shirt like covering the upper torso. I think if posed properly, it will make a good counter point to my Harry in Hogwarts clothes. I also have Draco in Hogwarts robes, so maybe his should be with Voldemort. I will have to wait and see.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

There is a toy store that sells this kind of stuff in South Coast Plaza call Puzzle Zoo. I don't have their number but they are in Costa Mesa if you want to call 411. I think they also have a location on the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica if I am not mistaken.

Anyway you might want to try them to see what they can do. I know that if I can't find something they have always been happy to help me.

Both these character dolls are exclusive to either FAO Swartz or Tonner Direct. They can only be purchased from them on line. Tonner makes the dolls and FAO Swartz is a member of their exclusive stores. Regular issue Tonner Dolls can be purchased at most doll stores. I usually get mine from Two Daydreamers located up North and on line. Tonner rates them very high by the way.

Both dolls arrived today and the difference in packing is amazing. The Tonner Direct box was securely packed and taped well. It arrived in perfect condition. The FAO Swartz box was flat, thin and poorly sealed. In fact most of the tape used to "seal" the box was already torn and ripping off. I didn't even open it but refused delivery and sent it back. They said to refuse delivery and they would issue a refund.

The Tonner Direct version is great. He really looks impressive at 19" in height and all those flowing robes and that face. I think I will set up the display area with Harry and Voldemort plus Draco in a duel. So far I don't have anyone to stand with Harry as Ron and Hermoine are only in their Yule Ball clothes. I guess this means that at some point soon I will have to get Ron in Hogwarts robes to stand with Harry. At least that unless they come out with Dumbledore or some other adult character to stand with him against Voldemort and Draco. These dolls are very impressive and very well made. Voldy's shirt is a stain silver and he has black satin pants that wrap around his waist and each leg in a very complicated way. Thank goodness this doll came all dressed. Over the shirt and pants he has a very heavy black cloth coat. Then over that is a very lightweight black set of voluminous robes that just are amazing. I might rig up a small hidden fan to make those robes billow out as they are just huge.

These dolls from Tonner are worth every penny and their service is fantastic. Fao Swartz I will never buy from on line again. Terrible service and lousy packaging make for bad results at least for me.

Thank You Poisonedapples

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Glad you got what you wanted Lost Boy. I guess you can chalk this up to "never again" with FAO Schwartz.

Yep! Now to see how long it takes to put the money back in my account at the bank. Hopefully not too long.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Minion

I'm surprised FAO Swartz would even make a Voldemort doll in the black suit. Voldemort wore that outfit in such a small and unimportant part of the movie (hopefully I'm remembering it all correctly) and it just seemed so out of place. It just seems to make so much more sense to sell a Voldemort doll wearing robes.

FAO Swartz did NOT make the doll. Robert Tonner Dolls made this version as an exclusive for FAO Swartz. There were only 500 of these dolls made. Then they made another for their own Tonner Direct Store. There were 1,500 of these made. Then a very small number where hand signed by Robert Tonner and sold for several hundred dollars. They sold out in one day. There is no Voldemort being shipped to any other doll store.

And yes, in The Order of The Phoenix, Voldemort appears in the suit for all of 10 seconds as Harry imagines seeing him on the Platform 9 3/4 while boarding the train. The other version is as we have seen him in two full movies now and is the much better of the two I feel.

Thank You Poisonedapples